The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:47 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Since we are going with a solid caseback, lets decide on a design. Any ideas?

We need to wrap this one quickly as the designer is already working on the watch!

Military themes might be tough since we have people from all around the world. But how about a dedication to a historic character?

I nominate Nikola Tesla! I think he is one of the most facinating people in history, and we can have a lightning style theme with his name on it. Heck we can even do a lightning seconds hand, which would be cool in my opinion.

Here is a website that talks about him, though in avery candid way

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/tesla.html

The graphic I sugest is something dramatic and raised, like this:
http://www.fotosmithusa.com/lightning_g ... g_bolt.jpg

Just a quick note, we can do an awesome caseback design, you would be surprised at how good the engraving looks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:07 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
I thought we were hoping for a display back... Is this not possible now?

If we're going for a person, I think it would make more sense to go with a pilot or someone aviation related. I'd also be happy with an aeroplane on the back too. Impressive though tesla is... I'm not sure of the relevance of having him on the back of a pilot watch.

Cheers,

Dave.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

The 7750 is not a pretty movement, and the stripping and basic decoration Steinhart do is not substantial unless we ask them to do more work, but since we are trying to keep costs down I am avoiding that.

Cant be a pilot or a plane as we discussed in the last LE, as some people might not want to associate the watch with a certine nation. Has to be a worldwide figuere.

Tesla has more to do with aviation than you might think, he invented the basic science that led to the radar, FM radio, anti aircraft ray gun and it can be discussed that allot of equipment in aircraft came to be due to his work. Hell the guy popularized the AC electrical systems found in every home.

His uniqueness and madness and the sheer genius of his work make him a very interesting character to me and I like the idea of paying homage to him, but youa re free to come up with a different caseback design if you wish.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I don't have a specific person or "thing" to recommend on the caseback, but it might be worth just considering something a little more cryptic perhaps. For example the Steinhart Odisea (Odyssey in english) that was an LE produced by Gunter for a Spanish forum was so named because it was something to an odyssey to get agreement on designs, etc, etc. Might it be worth thinking a little laterally? Just an idea folks.....

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I like the idea of a lightning shaped second’s hand, particularly if it's also red. That would be unique while maintaining the integrity of the Pilot Watch. Lightning on the case would also look striking.

However I'm not necessarily as interested in honouring a specific individual as choosing one person is pretty difficult. Having him there isn't going to be a deal breaker for me either if that's the way we go.

I still personally like the idea of a globe as was discussed in Mark I. I like the idea of representing the many countries that enjoy the Breitlingsource forum.

We could always do a final vote via poll if there are some options.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:19 pm 
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon

Liked in: 1 post
Tim S wrote:
I still personally like the idea of a globe as was discussed in Mark I. I like the idea of representing the many countries that enjoy the Breitlingsource forum.

I second that idea.

If you really want an aviation-themed person, I would suggest an totally unsung hero of aviation: C. Donald Bateman. He invented the ground proximity warning system (GPWS), which became mandatory on all commercial U.S. airliners in 1973. But his original GPWS wasn't good enough for him (it couldn't handle scenarios when the ground was in front of you...like flying into a mountain), so he devoted the next 2 decades to developing the enhanced GPWS (or EGPWS) which uses GPS information combined with terrain data to determine if there is any terrain in front of you that could be dangerous. There is info and more references in his Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._Donald_Bateman

The GPWS has been said to have saved more lives than any single aviation safety innovation.

Just an "out there" idea.

Personally, and I say this as a physicist, I don't like Tesla. He's too goofy. Maybe that's just professional bias. If you want scientists, I can suggest way better ones that him.

///M

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:34 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liking the idea of a globe on the back rather than a specific person. It's going to be hard to find a person that everyone agrees on... but surely we all like the world we live on!?!? :lol:

Also think that lightning on the caseback would look great too. Always been fascinated by lightning personally!

Using a lightning bolt for the second hand is an interesting idea as well. That could look pretty good and definitely very LE-like imho!

Cheers!

Dave.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:24 pm 
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts

You should put the "Tardis" on it, after all it is the ship on choice of the TIME Lord :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:53 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I really wish I could be involved with this LE, but $$ issues prohibit it.

But if you want to keep with the pilot theme, How about the Wright Brothers maybe a engraving of the plane?

This is a pictuer from the USA 25 cent piece

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:27 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
jfgardner4 wrote:
I really wish I could be involved with this LE, but $$ issues prohibit it.

But if you want to keep with the pilot theme, How about the Wright Brothers maybe a engraving of the plane?

This is a pictuer from the USA 25 cent piece

Now this I like!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I keep thinking about this and I really feel that it needs to be something that is either instantly meaningful to BreitlingSource members or instantly recognisable as an aviation connection.

To me if you need to explain the connection then it's kind of lost - I'm sure Tesla was a great mind and a weird bloke but I would end up going 'I don't really know' everytime I was asked why he was stuck on the back of a pilot's watch.

A BreitlingSource connection is tough on a non Breitling watch, so if we assume aviation then I think that we have to go with one of the true 'landmark' aviation events - things that transcend national boundaries.

For me that would be things like Montpellier (first manned flight), Wright Brothers (first powered flight) or Vostok 1 (first space flight).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 am 
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon

Yeah, I agree.

Hmmmm...another idea that just struck me is the "X-1". It's the first aircraft to break the sound barrier (a nice aviation landmark), and it makes a mighty cool name for a watch. ("Mark II" is also good...but "X-1" sounds catchy, too.) As far as I know, there is not another watch out there called the X-1, is there?*
[edit]: Oops, I just saw on the LE # reservation thread that Driver8 suggested X1 for the previous LE watch. I did not see that particular suggestion, but perhaps I was subliminally inspired by it. So D8 gets full credit for this idea.

Or on the BreitlingSource theme, maybe just a map of the globe centered on Vancouver? The globe idea seems to be popular. Centering it thusly has allusions to both the home of the web site, and the 2010 olympics. That would be meaningful to forum members, yet doesn't have to say "Breitling".

///M

*Although, granted, while "Mark" has allusions to IWC's pilot watch line and "X" could be either Omega (X-33) or Blancpain (X71)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Fair enough then, I will start a poll and see what the majority deside.

I like the wright brothers theme!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Just having a wee nosey on the Steinhart site and found this....

(link to watch... http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.ph ... &lang_nr=1)

Now that's a nice display caseback/movement combo.... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:49 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Chumba wrote:
Just having a wee nosey on the Steinhart site and found this....

(link to watch... http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index.ph ... &lang_nr=1)

Now that's a nice display caseback/movement combo.... :wink:

Yep. Mine was shipped yesterday. :D