The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Where to buy first Breitling?
Poll ended at Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:10 pm
Authorized Jewelry Store? 77%  77%  [ 10 ]
Online? 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
How do I safely open the back without damaging it? I would like to take closer pictures to assist you in assisting me!! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I use a proper Jaxa caseback opener that has 4 points of contact but only use 3 of them because of the shape of the caseback flats. The cheap ebay type jaxa copy tool will likely slip so don't use that as you will damage the caseback. If you have a friendly watchmaker nearby he might do it for you. Sorry for all the bad news coming out of this but better that you know for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Do you know if that 210g includes al the links for the bracelet?

Its funny that you mention the bad news, Mark... I sold a guy a watch in person and mentioned that I ran this site... he told me after watching all my videos and reading my articles it made him more paranoid about buying a watch online than before!

I dont really do this with that intention, but it's better that people be informed beforehand than get scammed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Yes, it did include all of the links that I had... That said, the bracelet seems a bit smaller than the ones I have tried on in the stores...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:36 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that the weight quoted in the catalogue was for the watch itself (i.e. without the strap or bracelet) as the choice of bracelet or strap would obviously affect the overall weight.....

I always assumed this was correct, as in the case of the Heritage models the Chronolog specifically states "incl. bracelet" as it is integrated and can't easily be removed.

If I'm correct and Hermosaman's is 210g with the bracelet while it should be 213g without, then there is a problem! (Obviously my initial asssumption may be totally wrong here!)

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's the weight with the bracelet... the weight without is 120g.. the info is on this site ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:04 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

breitlingsource wrote:

Its funny that you mention the bad news, Mark... I sold a guy a watch in person and mentioned that I ran this site... he told me after watching all my videos and reading my articles it made him more paranoid about buying a watch online than before!

I dont really do this with that intention, but it's better that people be informed beforehand than get scammed!

I totally understand why he felt like that but you are absolutley right to bring this into the public domain - it is a minefield out there and there are so many scam sites around advertsing genuine watches too. The best way to be sure, if not buying from an AD, is to make sure all the paperwork is with the watch and if not then call the relevant maker with the serial number and check it out (although this is not always 100% foolproof).

Most times if the box/papers is missing then be suspicious - it might not be a fake but it could be stolen!! However there are occasions when someone will buy a watch at an airport and not take the box because of excess size/weight etc (this was told to me tonight at a Paneristi meeting) so sometimes a perfectly legit watch might not have the box!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
Mark wrote:
breitlingsource wrote:

I totally understand why he felt like that but you are absolutley right to bring this into the public domain - it is a minefield out there and there are so many scam sites around advertsing genuine watches too. The best way to be sure, if not buying from an AD, is to make sure all the paperwork is with the watch and if not then call the relevant maker with the serial number and check it out (although this is not always 100% foolproof).

Most times if the box/papers is missing then be suspicious - it might not be a fake but it could be stolen!! However there are occasions when someone will buy a watch at an airport and not take the box because of excess size/weight etc (this was told to me tonight at a Paneristi meeting) so sometimes a perfectly legit watch might not have the box!!

Excessive size/weight?

I find that hard to believe. Most boxes would fit nicely in any carry on.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A lot of people buy the watches then leave the boxes when they buy overseas so they dont have to claim duties and taxes when they bring them back. The standard response from any of the dealers in the carribean was "just wear the watch on and leave the box - that's what most people do when they are worried".. papers and boxes can get lost easily too so Its not surprising that many people wouldn't have the boxes.. not everyone is as meticulous as we are about keeping boxes.

My dad lost all the boxes for his watches before.. never thought to keep them somewhere safe.. Rolex's Cartier's, etc.. none have boxes anymore. Now he keeps them though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
I've put my boxes in my carry on. My carry on has never been inspected. Worst case scenario, have the box mailed back to you. I have been asked that before. Instead, I just carry it on.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
breitlingsource wrote:
That's the weight with the bracelet... the weight without is 120g.. the info is on this site ;)

:oops: Consider my wrists suitably slapped, Admin! :wink:

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you all for your excellent assistance to date... I am still trying to reconcile the full authenticity of this quagmire...

A quick question... Which direction should the bezel rotate? It should only be counter-clockwise, right?

I spoke with the seller of the watch and he guarantees the authenticity of the watch. But, he will process a refund for a processing fee between $300 - $500 (to be determined). What are your suggestions?

Thanks again!

Hermosaman (Chris)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:22 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
If I had any doubts that my watch was fake, I would just return it. Being out $300-500 isn't as bad as being out $3000 on a watch that you're always going to have doubts on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I went back to the AD to question his level of certainty of the authenticity, and he said he is "100% certain" that it is authentic. He said it was not bought in the US, so he cannot determine the source or date. But, as an AD, he is certain of the authenticity.

With that level of confidence from someone who is motivated to tell me it is a fake and sell me one directly provides some comfort. But it is those darn arrows that is killing me... Is it possible to have them replaced for a reasonable price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Didn't you say that your AD had some EVO's that have arrows like that or something?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next