Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
Gentlemen,

I was recently offered a Breitling strap for quite a decent price (via a well known auction site) - but when it arrived, I wasn't sure if it was real....

The original listing and pictures are here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324112136166?ul_noapp=true

It's a 22-20 Black Croco for deployant, ref 744P. It was described as new, and looked and felt OK - at first.

The short side was fine - 22mm at the lug end, and 20mm at the clasp end, 90mm in length - so far so good.

However, the long side gave me pause. Correct in length, and 22mm at the lug end, but tapered down to just 18mm at the clasp end (though the strap is clearly marked 22-20).

On further examination, I also thought that the alignment of the 'Suisse' on the printed 'Manufacture en Suisse' text was slightly out of true (slightly lower), which I've seen before on fakes. The pictures of the text in the eBay link are fairly clear, and might help confirm authenticity.

Anyway, I returned the strap to the seller, and got a full refund. However, he's just dropped me a note saying that " Is normal to have the long part of the strap smaller, because this is the part that sits under the deploy buckle (for a better comfort)". Is this right? I'm usually a bracelet man, and don't have any deployant straps to hand to have a look at, so would appreciate any input that members might have to offer. I have owned deployant straps in the past, but never noticed an exaggerated taper on the long side - but could very well be wrong!

Cheers,

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:44 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 52 posts
I just measured mine - of my five straps, three of them are 19mm at the point where the long strap enters the deployment buckle. One was 18.5 mm and the other was 20 mm. Three of these straps are retired (18.5, 19 & 20 mm) so the sizes may have shifted over their lifetime. My newest strap has maybe 6 months of wear (in rotation with another watch) and it also measures 19 mm.

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:41 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 5 posts
Thanks Nihon_Ni,

That's interesting, many thanks.

I still think a 2mm difference seems excessive, but would welcome any other contributions!

Mike