Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
Hello all,

I recently bought a Montbrillant Datora on Chrono24 from a "trusted seller". In the auction he mentioned the watch came including the "paperwork".
Turns out he provided an invoice for the 1 year warranty. This invoice contains the serial and model number of the watch. It also included a printout from the movement test as the watch has been "recently" oiled and checked. This printout is from August 2016 and does not contain any serial nor any link to my watch and could be from any watch out there...The "paperwork" also included the "attestation de chronometre" but it does not have the same serial as my watch. The seller tried to convince me initially that the number on the certificate was in fact the movement number but after I told him and showed him that was wrong - the attestation de chronometre shoud bear the serial of the watch, nothing else - he changed his approach and told me that he bought the watch like this and did not really checked the paperwork. Well, no comment here but I was not born yesterday! He has proposed that I return the watch and reimburse me the full amount.
Except for these documents I did not received any other original document. Also he stated that the watch was from 2010, looked on google and the watches I did see with a 6 digit serial are from before 2007 if not earlier. The date on my watch is very difficult the read as the watch has been polished but it could be 3007B4 or 3001B4.

I did owned a 2006 Montbrillant datora which I bought brand new from a Breitling dealer in Basel Switzerland, unfortunately I was forced to sell it a couple of years ago during a painful and expensive divorce. As I bough this watch new I never really paid any close attention to all the paperwork, never had any reason to doubt the originality of this watch, but It does give me a good idea as how the watch should "feel".

Now to my question...The current watch does look and feel the right thing and not a fake. It does have a serial and date stamped where it should be.

Should I return the watch and look for a full set or a watch which comes with the original paperwork or should I have the watch checked out and if real keep it? If the watch is real that's all that's matter as I am wearing the watch and not the paperwork but if again I am forced to sell it?!

Below some pictures from the watch. The watch came with an original brand new strap and buckle, I did put another non Breitling strap on the watch as I did not liked the colour of the original strap...

https://imgur.com/dZcobc8
https://imgur.com/a/UjVUl
https://imgur.com/vbafoCg
https://imgur.com/MHwsIiK
https://imgur.com/ztgyVUG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:37 pm 
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!
Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 33 posts
Looks okay but I can't be 100% sure. There is/was a VERY good fake copy of this model. Yours doesn't have the telltales, such as gaps in the outer sliderule marks and the wrong spacing between the 23 to 27 dates. http://www.breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/v ... =9&t=40042

The fake could have improved by now so I would want to see photos of the movement before I can commit on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Could not see the pictures in the link you placed...but I do have some very good pictures from my 1st Datora and I have been comparing them. I cannot fault the current watch but I agree 100%, we need the see the movement before we can be sure.
Would they go that far to fake the date? This is something you cannot see without removing the 6 o clock strap...
Also I noticed that the case has been opened as I could see slight some damage on 1 of the close ups, so if its a fake it is not "brand new". The case has been polished as the serial is more difficult to read, the same goes for the date stamp. This would be consistent with a used watch from 2007 which has been polished to look as new.
Also the noise from the counterweight used for the automatic function sounds like I remember it from my 1st Breitling...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

More info around this watch in this topic...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63692&p=439156#p439156

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:31 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Just to finish and complete the topic, I decided to keep the watch. It has been established that it is a real Breitling and not a fake.
I have been ripped of by the seller on Chrono24, an established seller on chrono 24 who has a very big shop in Hamburg called chronopark.
He has listed the watch as a 2010 with papers including a 2017 revision.
What I received was a watch without papers, just an invoice and a attestation de chronometre bearing a different serial number then my watch, so a useless piece of paper. Also attached on the invoice was a printout of a watch test from august 2016 but this did not mentioned any ID of my watch, again a useless piece of paper.
The watch was loosing around 40 sec a day and was very stiff to manually wind up.
The watchmaker I brought the watch to did a test and told me straight that this watch performed poor...
He opened the watch to establish its authenticity and straight away showed me the huge amount off play on the bearing of the counterweight for the auto function. It had so much play it left a mark on the inside of the watch cover.
No grease where needed and oil everywhere except where needed.
Last documented revision was the handwritten date on the inside of the watch cover, 10-2011.
Manufacturing date of the watch stamped in the case, September 2002...
So the watch is now undergoing the much needed revision.
Al in all I bought a watch which has never been properly maintained and the seller knew very well what he was selling.
He thought that a good (over)polish and a new Breitling leather strap with a replica Breitling buckle would convince the buyer he bought a well maintained 2010 watch.
The way the seller responded to my mails and allegations...no need to go into details but it was clear to me from the beginning that he knew very well what he sold to me. Chronopark in Hamburg is to be avoided...
Oh yes, he agreed to take to watch back and pay me the "full" amount back minus a 300€ fee for verifying and polishing the watch. We all know that the watch would have gone straight back on sale without this check and polish and he would have earned 300€ on top...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 23 posts
With so many inconsistencies in the watch you must have been swayed by your desire to own this watch once again. Half way thru your first post I would have hoped you backed out.
Best of luck now that it is yours.

abynormal likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

These inconsistencies only came to light after I received the watch but by then I already bought it and was "committed".
I follow in general my gut feeling but this time it failed me...
By the time she is back from the revision it will be a good watch, it just did not worked out the way I had planned for.
The reason I post this and make so much noise is to warn as much a many people about Chronopark and the way he does business...
He may have sold a genuine watch but that's all he did, for the rest he has been lying to me and faked all the paperwork.
As to finish, I had to sell my 1st Montbrillant Datora during a difficult and expensive divorce and promised myself one day I would get myself a replacement.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:26 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Wow, divorces go pretty nasty when it comes to a property distribution. When I got divorced with my first wife, she wanted my Montbrillant Datora to remain with her, as she said: "My father gave them to you and as we are no longer married, I don't see a slightest reason for you to keep them"...Well, I saw and left then :D