The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
I just got a Breitling Navitimer 8, my first Breitling after having a few Rolex for a while, and it’s a lovely watch (day and date, blue dial). However, I really don’t like the white threading on the strap. I expected it to be the all brown one on their web site. Apparently they don't make the all brown anymore. Since it’s 21mm, my options are limited, as most straps seem to be 20 or 22. I found this one on eBay and love the look of it, since it’s the one I expected anyway. Being the only one available, and the seller having all positive feedback, I pulled the trigger not wanting to risk losing it. I know there are other nice aftermarket straps available if I search around but I’d prefer to keep it all authentic Breitling.

I need some Breitling experts to weigh in on this because I definitely have some doubts. What do you think?

Here are some more pics

https://imgur.com/gallery/Vrlzrsv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
I have my doubts about the strap for several reasons. If you check the current Breitling website the straps pictured all show contrasting white stitching. Although Breitling offered the same color stitching on some of its recent straps, they were, if I recall correctly, deployant straps that were rubber with a leather finish that allowed them to be cut to size. The holes that are punched in the strap shown show a combination of both circular and square shapes which to me would be unusual for a brand new strap. Another item to check would be to see if the winged logo is centered on the buckle. An indication of a non- authentic strap would be when the wings logo touches the top or bottom of the tang buckle. It would be informative if someone could comment as to whether or not the winged logo is still in use on new tang straps? This strap show a lug width of 21mm which was only recently released with the new Navi 8 line of watches. For the past several years the large majority of straps offered by Breitling have been either 20, 22, or 24mm at the lugs. The font utilized on the strap shown was discontinued approximately two-three years ago when Breitling did not offer any 21mm strap options. Given the price that you paid for the strap I would return it and consider a custom strap maker to make the strap for you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

56scooter wrote:
I have my doubts about the strap for several reasons. If you check the current Breitling website the straps pictured all show contrasting white stitching. Although Breitling offered the same color stitching on some of its recent straps, they were, if I recall correctly, deployant straps that were rubber with a leather finish that allowed them to be cut to size. The holes that are punched in the strap shown show a combination of both circular and square shapes which to me would be unusual for a brand new strap. Another item to check would be to see if the winged logo is centered on the buckle. An indication of a non- authentic strap would be when the wings logo touches the top or bottom of the tang buckle. It would be informative if someone could comment as to whether or not the winged logo is still in use on new tang straps? This strap show a lug width of 21mm which was only recently released with the new Navi 8 line of watches. For the past several years the large majority of straps offered by Breitling have been either 20, 22, or 24mm at the lugs. The font utilized on the strap shown was discontinued approximately two-three years ago when Breitling did not offer any 21mm strap options. Given the price that you paid for the strap I would return it and consider a custom strap maker to make the strap for you.

Thanks for the input. I didn't know Breitling just started making 21mm straps. I just figured this was an older style, hence the all brown stitching (and not even the white under the lugs as shown on their site). This is coming from Russia, so it's still in transit and not expected to arrive for a few more weeks and therefore it's also gonna be a pain to return, if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

You purchased it from eBay, so it should not be difficult to return! eBay sides with the buyer 99.99% of the time. Once you mark it as returned, with proof of shipping, they should refund you your money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:43 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
The 483X was offered on the Bentley Barnato and while the strap looks fine, the buckle looks questionable. I couldn't find a decent live shot of the strap but a quick google search of Breitling 483X shows several grey websites showing the Barnato on this strap.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:09 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

jnelson3097 wrote:
The 483X was offered on the Bentley Barnato and while the strap looks fine, the buckle looks questionable. I couldn't find a decent live shot of the strap but a quick google search of Breitling 483X shows several grey websites showing the Barnato on this strap.

For some reason I just found more results than I had when previously searching the 483X strap. None mention it being 21mm, but it does look to be the same as the one I ordered. I thought the buckle looked a bit off too, mainly I was surprised there were holes for the buckle spring bar? Either way, as long as it's real, I'll be switching the buckle to the solid one that came with the watch anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:39 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
None mention it being 21mm

Justin, although the 483x came with the Barnato 42 would it not have been a 22mm strap as per this info https://www.breitlingsource.com/watch_d ... y_269.html? The images in the original post show a lug width of 21mm which is why I found it to be questionable. When in the recent past did Breitling make 21mm straps for any of its lineup?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:55 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I think the Barnato was the one watch that had the 21mm strap. It's not the best example, but I did see this on chrono 24.

https://www.chrono24.com/breitling/bent ... 639400.htm

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:05 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I tried on the barnato in the past and it does have 21mm lugs as I remember thinking it was odd for Breitling to have done that because at the time they had no other watches with that lug width.

I can't tell if the strap purchased is real or not as the clasp is difficult to see, but there is definitely a real 21mm strap with non contrasting stitching that does exist.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I stand corrected! That's what you get for believing everything that you read on the internet! :wink: :wink: I would just inspect the strap to make sure that it is indeed a new strap, the buckle holes are still a concern for me!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:41 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 32 posts
van18 wrote:
I just got a Breitling Navitimer 8, my first Breitling after having a few Rolex for a while, and it’s a lovely watch (day and date, blue dial). However, I really don’t like the white threading on the strap. I expected it to be the all brown one on their web site. Apparently they don't make the all brown anymore. Since it’s 21mm, my options are limited, as most straps seem to be 20 or 22. I found this one on eBay and love the look of it, since it’s the one I expected anyway. Being the only one available, and the seller having all positive feedback, I pulled the trigger not wanting to risk losing it. I know there are other nice aftermarket straps available if I search around but I’d prefer to keep it all authentic Breitling.

I need some Breitling experts to weigh in on this because I definitely have some doubts. What do you think?

Here are some more pics

https://imgur.com/gallery/Vrlzrsv
The black strap with white stitching is s classic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:07 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

The strap just arrived. Here are some new pics.

https://imgur.com/gallery/d4HnYWe

Is the writing supposed to be imprinted into the strap? Because it’s not.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:46 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 37 posts
For a supposedly new strap, the buckle is an old style. As far as I was aware, the wings are now a raised style, not embossed?

The strap 438X, i am wearing it! It's the brown calf deployant. 22-20.
I thought one strap code only applied to one material/colour and size combination?