The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 7 posts
I would like the site administrator to introduce a new rule for the selling/trading forum which should state:

-Photos displayed for the item for sale/trade may be no older than two weeks.

I have a handy program that displays the imbedded EXIF data of a digital photo. The EXIF data includes a whole list of information such as the camera model, date and time of the original, if and when the photos was edited etc.

I am seeing the occasional ads on here and TZ with year old photos. A recent ad here had photos taken almost fours ago. I believe this is not an ethical practice.

Or maybe we should all take pics of our pieces when we bring them home form the AD in case if we want to sell them years from now.

What do you think?

Breitling Chronomat 44 Airborne
Breitling SuperOcean 42 Chronograph
Rolex SD43 126600
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
Rolex Explorer I 214270
Rolex Explorer II 216570

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:48 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
I don't care when a pic is taken if it accurately reflects the condition of the watch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:18 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 730 posts
It is question of intent, if old pics reflect the actual condition of the watch then I see no problem. If the intention is to deceive then that is an entirely different matter.

Citizen Eco Drive AT4000-02E (for gardening)
Seiko 5 SNZG15J1
Hamilton X Wind LE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:31 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
If any potential buyer feels weary about a purchase they can always ask for a recent photo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:45 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not sure that I see the issue. If we are going down this path then the next step is that every photo has to have evidence of being recent by including a newspaper / magazine / similar to prove the timing. Anyone who buys a watch based solely on a few photos without any form of due diligence is a fool, it is up to potential buyers to satisfy themselves that they know what they are buying and that they trust the seller. As Matt says, you can always ask for any photos you want - proof of possession comes from asking for a photo with the time set to a specific time for example (something that we do as a forum with questionable listings from new sellers).

The sales section is by far the most regulated part of BreitlingSource, but we still attempt to make it as accessible as possible to people looking to sell their watches. Ultimately this is just a medium for two private parties to work out a transaction, it is not up to BreitlingSource to regulate that transaction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:49 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
I think 'let buyer beware' (sorry my latin is dark and dated now).

Buyer should ask all the questions and see all the pics they like. It is thier money, if the want to buy the watch they should make sure they are happy.

You buy it, you bought it!

“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I'd be more interested in finding a way that the seller can erase their post once the watch is sold. There are hundreds of "sold" posts clogging the forum category. And it shouldn't be the Admin's job to delete every "sold" post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:30 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Frunkinator wrote:
I'd be more interested in finding a way that the seller can erase their post once the watch is sold. There are hundreds of "sold" posts clogging the forum category. And it shouldn't be the Admin's job to delete every "sold" post.

No desire to delete them, for the most part they form a valuable reference for people in researching prices. Some of the very early ones were archived a while back to save disk space, but the rest are left intentionally.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:08 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Ahhhh ok. Point taken :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:55 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Roffensian wrote:
Frunkinator wrote:

No desire to delete them, for the most part they form a valuable reference for people in researching prices. Some of the very early ones were archived a while back to save disk space, but the rest are left intentionally.

I like that, and I'm sure I'm not alone. One annoyance is that once an item is sold, people don't modify the thread title to indicate it.

It should be possible to create a new section for sold items, and move them there as they're sold. Obviously, no one but the forum staff knows if they have the time available to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:49 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Frunkinator wrote:

It doesn't seem to be a good reference. The reason is that a seller can't have more than one "for sale" thread. As a result most sellers delete the info, including prices, of the sold items to streamline the current items to be sold. This happened to me once. I sold an item, marked the thread as sold, and left it along with the price. A few days later I listed a different item for sale, but was told I had to merge both threads. To avoid confusion I was told I could delete the old for sale item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:15 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

RXPete wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
Frunkinator wrote:

It doesn't seem to be a good reference. The reason is that a seller can't have more than one "for sale" thread. As a result most sellers delete the info, including prices, of the sold items to streamline the current items to be sold. This happened to me once. I sold an item, marked the thread as sold, and left it along with the price. A few days later I listed a different item for sale, but was told I had to merge both threads. To avoid confusion I was told I could delete the old for sale item.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rules require you to have one current sales thread, if items are marked as sold they don't get merged. However, I have to be a mind reader a lot of the time because people don't mark items as sold, they just list new items and leave me to guess (frequently complaining if I guess wrong).

There is no rule that prevents people from deleting pricing after an item is sold, and some people do that - many do not. The downside of leaving completed sales items would seem to be minimal at worst.