Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Does Montbrillant Olympus (or all Breitlings for that matter) come with a COSC certificate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
marx wrote:
Does Montbrillant Olympus (or all Breitlings for that matter) come with a COSC certificate?

All recent (2002 onwards) Breitlings are COSC certified - model number has a 3 as the fourth character / third digit, and are therefore issued with a COSC certificate. Not all grey market dealers provide the certificate - I guess because it has the serial number on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:13 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Thanks Roffensian - I just confirmed with a "grey market" dealer and they don't include a COSC certificate, although the serial number will be on the watch. Why don't they want to provide certicates, or rather when they buy through an AD, why doesn't the AD give them the certificates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:16 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
marx wrote:
Thanks Roffensian - I just confirmed with a "grey market" dealer and they don't include a COSC certificate, although the serial number will be on the watch. Why don't they want to provide certicates, or rather when they buy through an AD, why doesn't the AD give them the certificates?

If the serial # is on the watch - I have no idea, it's been discussed on here before.

The good news is that you can get a replacement issued - Driver8 has a friend that went through the process recently - relatively inexpensive, just requires the watch to be sent to Breitling for authentication and then they arrange with the COSC for a duplicate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
marx wrote:

It seems that some grey market dealers erroniously believe that the COSC certificate can identify the source of the watch back to the originating AD. This is incorrect, as only the warranty card contains that information.

Roffensian wrote:
The good news is that you can get a replacement issued - Driver8 has a friend that went through the process recently - relatively inexpensive, just requires the watch to be sent to Breitling for authentication and then they arrange with the COSC for a duplicate.

Correct. Somewhere on here there is a thread from myself about a mate of mine who purchased a Chronomat from Jomashop that also came without the COSC certificate. In short he sent the watch to Breitling UK who authenticated it free of charge and requested a new COSC certificate for him for around £30. Easy.

The key is just to ensure that the watch has the serial numbers. Without that Breitling won't touch it.

Site Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:17 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
I'm just wondering... Shouldn't Breitling be able to tell the original AD from the serial number as well? They must have some sort of tracking system, seeing which AD got which watches...

If so, there's really no point in discarding the COSC (but that's pointless even in the first place) or the warranty card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:31 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
aleister wrote:
I'm just wondering... Shouldn't Breitling be able to tell the original AD from the serial number as well? They must have some sort of tracking system, seeing which AD got which watches...

Apparently there isn't. I've spoken to Breitling before about second hand watches and they said they only have records if it's been logged with them as stolen, or if it's been in for a service (a "service history" kind of thing), but that's it. A bit odd really considering how you can't really cough these days without someone logging it somewhere!

Site Moderator