The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:41 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
I am relatively new to these forums. My postings so far have all been on the Breitling Discussions.
I have a SuperOcean, which I got in 1997, and have worn it constantly for 10 years. I am not one to have a lot of watches, and cannot afford to have many expensive ones anyway. I do have a 70s Tudor Prince Oysterdate Ranger II, which I am wearing while the SuperOcean is being refurbished and repaired.
I am looking to replace both of them with either a Breitling Cockpit, with grey dial or an Omega Aqua Terra RailMaster. I like the simplicity of the RailMaster, without even a date. It is a great looking watch, and also the new co-axial technology is appealing. However, I just don't know if it will be as durable as the Breitling Cockpit.
The SuperOcean has been great. I work in a print shop, so my arms are in and out of printers, clearing jams etc. and working with other equipment. All I got after 10 years was a few scratches, mainly on the bracelet (which needs replacing anyhow) and not a single mark on the crystal.
Anyway, just wonder if anyone has any thoughts on RailMaster vs Cockpit, I have never seen anyone wearing either one, nor have I even seen the Omega RailMaster in a shop, it seems that the dealers here do not stock them, probably because they have no date.
Any comments or opinions greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:21 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
I would buy the Cockpit. Dont get me wrong the Railmaster is a GREAT watch, but its more of a dress watch than all rounder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:04 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 2 posts
The Cockpit is a great looking timepiece, and I would be proud if one graced my collection. It sounds like your Omega has been a great piece! Over the years, that means a lot! Once your Omega makes it back from servicing, post a picture or two!

Good luck with your decision.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Careful with Seamaster AquaTerra. As I have just learned yesterday, they will present a completely reworked model in Basel next year. The whole watch is supposed to be worked a littele bit more valuable. Also the new models will have the new coaxial movement, which is already in use in the deVille hourvision.
I was also told, that the black Seamaster 2254.50 will be terminated by then. A new form of black Seamaster with coaxial movement is supposed to follow.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
That sucks about the black seamaster... that was my favourite one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:50 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Alien wrote:
Careful with Seamaster AquaTerra. As I have just learned yesterday, they will present a completely reworked model in Basel next year. The whole watch is supposed to be worked a littele bit more valuable. Also the new models will have the new coaxial movement, which is already in use in the deVille hourvision.
I was also told, that the black Seamaster 2254.50 will be terminated by then. A new form of black Seamaster with coaxial movement is supposed to follow.

BG
Thomas

Good info Alien, thanks!!

So for someone who is about to get a Planet Ocean, should he wait or go ahead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:16 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Altair wrote:
Alien wrote:

BG
Thomas

Good info Alien, thanks!!

So for someone who is about to get a Planet Ocean, should he wait or go ahead?

Unless you got a great deal on the last year model, I would hold out and get the new one.

~Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:35 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

I would agree with that. The new watches will be available probably in october 2008 (at least in Austria)

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:44 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

A few years ago (before Ebay got popular) we had a guy in Vienna, who was frequenting bars on saturday evenings, talking to many people, suddenly his phone rings. He picks up and says like " Uh, I forgot that,... Yes sure, I will pay You tomorrow... No, please don't do that... No, I have no cash on me, but I will try to organise it..." Then he looks around in panic, will take off his fake chronomat from his wrist. Then he will say like "Hey, I bought this watch in a store for 2500 Euros, I will give You the watch, if You can borrow me 1000 Euro, and next saturday, I will give You back 1500 Euro for the watch. Otherwise, that guy might break my legs..." If someone was helping out, he was never ever seen again. Of course it was a bad fake.

I heard the same story from 4! different customers, who asked me, if their watch was real.
All of them went pale, and some got really angry afterwards...

BG
Thomas