The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Been meaning to post on this watch and another purchase reminded me. SEIKO TURTLE PROSPEX SRP777

I started this watch journey as a Seiko guy. One of my earliest photo of my watches was this one from 2007 but at that point other shiny things got my attention and off I went. Slowly I sold all my Seiko watches but always wished I would have held on to my 6105 or 6309.

Well Seiko really pulled through for me on this watch. WOW. Hacks, quickset day/date, hand winds, that case...MSRP is $495 but no-one ever pays that. I paid less than $300 out of Japan. I love it so much I just picked up another one...and its a blue dial I can live with!!!! :bow: - SRPC91K1 Save the Ocean Turtle,

A lot of watch for little money...will look forward to beating this one in the back yard and at the beach.

Love to hear your thoughts....especially if you have one.

https://seikousa.com/products/srp777

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I think the Turtle is a really cool piece - great vintage look and, as you say, some serious bang for your buck. They're also (as I'm sure you know!) highly modifiable with ceramic bezel inserts and sapphire crystals available, so a good fun watch to mess about with. They wear well too.

The only thing that's prevented me from picking one up myself is occasional QC issues (misaligned rehauts, etc), and the fact that the movement is not always the most accurate, partly due to it being a slow beater, and also more likely due to it basically not being touched by human hands during production. The 4R36 is rated by Seiko as between +45/-35 seconds per day. I know some people get almost COSC timekeeping from them, but a lot don't. If I could guarantee getting a good one, I'd definitely have one myself. Hope yours is keeping decent time. :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
I think the Turtle is a really cool piece - great vintage look and, as you say, some serious bang for your buck. They're also (as I'm sure you know!) highly modifiable with ceramic bezel inserts and sapphire crystals available, so a good fun watch to mess about with. They wear well too.

The only thing that's prevented me from picking one up myself is occasional QC issues (misaligned rehauts, etc), and the fact that the movement is not always the most accurate, partly due to it being a slow beater, and also more likely due to it basically not being touched by human hands during production. The 4R36 is rated by Seiko as between +45/-35 seconds per day. I know some people get almost COSC timekeeping from them, but a lot don't. If I could guarantee getting a good one, I'd definitely have one myself. Hope yours is keeping decent time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your post...and I being a stickler for timekeeping...I have set and timed this with Time.gov and found that I am about consistently 30 seconds fast so I guess I got lucky! For me I will only ever wear this watch a day or two at at a time so it never really gets a chance to "build up". Untimely the price paid and the benefits I mentioned in my original post plus 660ft WR and that LUME make me look right past this "flaw".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
I don’t know much about these pieces but they look cool. I must admit, as of late, the grand seikos are really starting to sing to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:01 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

boogiebot wrote:
I don’t know much about these pieces but they look cool. I must admit, as of late, the grand seikos are really starting to sing to me

Well you can probably buy 20 of these for a used Grand Seiko :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:04 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
MickeyWatch wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Well you can probably buy 20 of these for a used Grand Seiko :-)

Ok that’s definitely a lot of turtles lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Worth checking out the new "King Turtle" too. Ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal straight out the box, plus a bit of dial texture to add interest, and also (slightly divisively) a cyclops over the day/date. They're a little more expensive than the standard SRP's, but not by much... and more than worth it for the upgrades IMO. Personally my only wish is that Seiko had put a slightly better grade of movement in the King Turtle as everything else is nicely upscale.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:43 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 15 posts
Seiko oh my Seiko!