The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:52 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
So today I had a call from a local AD about the arrival of a Tudor P01 that I had my name down for for a couple of months. If internet and forum chat is anything to go by, the P01 is probably one of the most divisive watches to have landed in recent years. Personally, as a big fan of "left field" watches such as the Omega Ploprof, I was really looking forward to seeing this one in the metal. BUT.... I have to say....., in person...., it just ain't for me. :(

On the positive side, the dial is really nicely done, and the "fauxtina" of the lume is probably the best one I've seen as it's nice and subtle. It's also a nice touch that the date wheel matches the colour as well. Size wise, while it looks quite large in the pictures, you have to remember the foreshortening effect photos have, and in real life it fits fine across my wrist with absolutely no lug overhang at all. (It's worth noting my wrist is somewhere between 7.5" and 7.75" depending on the temperature, so this isn't a watch for those with small wrists). Plus it isn't too tall, but the big issue is that the shape of the lug "shrouds" made it feel almost like wearing a matchbox on the wrist. :?

I also wasn't as much of a fan of the "build feel" as I thought I would be. I'd read online how it was apparently built like a tank, but while the head feels pretty solid I was actually a little disappointed with a couple of parts. Firstly, when the 12 o'clock shroud is open it rattles and feels a bit flimsy. Obviously it's meant to be closed normally (and when it is, it doesn't rattle at all and there's very little play), but I was expecting a little more solidity somehow. Secondly, the metal end-links of the strap that attach to the lugs also feel a bit lightweight. And lastly, the clasp (which is exactly the same as on all other BB's apart from being brushed on the P01) felt a little sharp and, again, just a bit lightweight. This last one surprised me as I've always liked the polished clasp on the standard BB, so it may just be a result of the brushed finish.

I'm also really not a fan of the shape of the little cutouts where the shrouds meet the case. IMO it should match the line of the case. (Note - the following picture isn't mine, but I borrowed it from the internet to highlight the odd cutout in the shrouds) -

In short, it's a strange beast - I still think it's great looking head-on, but from other angles it just doesn't work at all..... for me at least.

Site Moderator

zak57 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Thanks for the write up Driver. I never understood this watch from when it was announced and I was never a fan. I agree on the cutouts where the shrouds meet the case. I don’t understand why they didn’t cover that somehow or make it look a little better.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:10 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Thanks Justin. When I first saw it at Baselworld it wasn't remotely what I was expecting, but over the course of a couple of days I started to really it. I was thinking it's probably going to be Tudor's Ploprof - hated by most, loved by a few. Unfortunately, while I love the Ploprof, the P01 is a definite pass from me. Just goes to show there's absolutely no substitute for trying a watch on.

That said I would love Tudor to use the dial from the P01 in a more traditional Black Bay at some point. The painted (as opposed to applied) markers with the superb vintage lume and matching date-wheel is absolutely gorgeous IRL. You can't really see how nice it is from my pics as the I'd put the plastic back when I took the pictures, but it's really lovely.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:36 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 15 posts
Fits perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:50 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
One of favorite watches

SS Daytona w/ White Dial (116520)