Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oris Aquis 400
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:47 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I know we don't get much traffic here these days, but I've been watching Oris's development of their 400 in-house movement for the last few weeks since it was announced, and now it's just been announced what model the movement will go in : I'm seriously pleased they've gone with the highly-competent Aquis line. The 400 movement should be an excellent piece of kit - full in-house, COSC-rated, a 5 days power reserve, and a 10 year warranty! Here's A-Blog-To-Watch's take on it - https://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-debut ... ive-watch/

And at just £2,700 GBP it's got to be the absolute bargain of the century for something with specs like that.

Site Moderator

Post subject: Re: Oris Aquis 400
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
very impressed w/ their cal. 400, respect!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:51 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
Very nice move from Oris.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:25 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
Watch is cool and for the price point definitely some serious bang for the buck. What I dislike is that it feels like Oris is trying to capitalize off the Submariner vibe. I don’t know if I can respect that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:09 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

boogiebot wrote:
Watch is cool and for the price point definitely some serious bang for the buck. What I dislike is that it feels like Oris is trying to capitalize off the Submariner vibe. I don’t know if I can respect that

That's interesting as I've always thought the Aquis is different enough to be it's own thing and not really a Submariner clone (apart from maybe the bezel). But then the Sub is obviously the blueprint for dive watches, and I guess it's quite hard to make something in the classic dive watch style that doesn't owe at least something to the Sub.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:05 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

That's interesting as I've always thought the Aquis is different enough to be it's own thing and not really a Submariner clone (apart from maybe the bezel). But then the Sub is obviously the blueprint for dive watches, and I guess it's quite hard to make something in the classic dive watch style that doesn't owe at least something to the Sub.
I agree that Rolex subs are probably the blueprint for most dive watches. It’s not just the bezel of this watch l, the bracelet itself also feel like it’s oyster inspired. From the angle of the pic the links look almost exactly the same as the sub.

IMO Breitling made a great dive watch in the sea Wolfe avenger. My only wish was that they made the watch smaller for an everyday watch 90% of the population could wear. A 45mm watch on most people (myself included) not only looks ridiculous it’s retarded. As I have stated in the past these case sizes were hot in the early 2000’s all the way to let’s say 2010. We are now in 2020 and IMO the big watch trend is dead.

I bet money if Breitling put together an sea Wolfe avenger between 40-41 mm with lug to lug length below 50mm and case thickness no more than 14mm it would sell like hot cakes. I even would wager money most people online would look at it as not only a competitor to a sub but also huge rival to a Omega sea master.

Last edited by boogiebot on Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:09 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

boogiebot wrote:
I bet money if Breitling put together an sea Wolfe avenger between 40-41 mm with lug to lug length below 50mm and case thickness no more than 14mm it would sell like hot cakes. I even would wager money most people online would look at it as not only a competitor to a sub but also huge rival to a Omega sea master.

Make it 41-42mm and stick an in-house three-hander in there and I'd totally agree with you! :D

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Driver8 wrote:
boogiebot wrote:

Make it 41-42mm and stick an in-house three-hander in there and I'd totally agree with you! :D
Three handed for sure. Let’s meet in the middle and say 41mm and call Georges with our game plan!

Edit

Think about how stellar a piece like this would look with 4 strap options, bracelet, rubber, nato or ballistic fabric.

Breitling if you’re listening make this watch happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 19 posts
I'm deeply uncertain about the Cal 400 Aquis - in short, feels a bit like a mid range fiat with a Ferrari engine. The case, dial, hands etc are fine - for a 1600usd watch, but are they good enough for a $3000usd watch? I don't feel it. It goes toe to toe with my 1000-1500usd alpinas and seikos but it doesn't match the design or execution I'd except of 3000usd.

I realise this isn't the case for everyone - and many like to have their money go to the movement - but for me it seems misplaced investment.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:17 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I've actually read of a few teething issues with the calibre 400 recently. Sure, the huge warranty will no doubt cover it, but early adopters will have to put up a bit of "snagging" it seems.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:01 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Driver8 wrote:
I've actually read of a few teething issues with the calibre 400 recently. Sure, the huge warranty will no doubt cover it, but early adopters will have to put up a bit of "snagging" it seems.

I actually tested these 'issues' out at the AD on the new 400 Aquis a bit ago. On the only piece in the store it did indeed exhibit the jumping minute hand on hacking/resetting. The AD employee (who is a true watch guy) was quite surprised to see this. I've had this happen very slightly on other watches (required gentle touch)but the Aquis jumped 2-3 minutes at times. Anyway, the watch looked good as most Aquis models do IMO. Will see how this affects things going forward.

I guess I don't see any close resemblance the Aquis has to the Submariner as mentioned earlier. As long as they don't put the cyclops on it - good by me. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 54 posts
Very nice caliber