The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Altair, so it's been a few days, are you missing anything that you traded in or are you glad you made the move? I know it's still early, but curious to hear your thoughts. Consolidating is something I think all of us would love to do but have a fear of missing out, or FOMO, as I've heard it called.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Thank you for the kind comments guys,

jnelson3097 wrote:
Altair, so it's been a few days, are you missing anything that you traded in or are you glad you made the move? I know it's still early, but curious to hear your thoughts. Consolidating is something I think all of us would love to do but have a fear of missing out, or FOMO, as I've heard it called.

Not in the least, best move I ever made watch wise. For one thing, the two watches I acquired take my breath away every time I wear the, and sometimes even when I'm not (Just remembering I have a Double Split and a Chronometre Optimum at home gets me riled up!)

That said, the watches I traded in I was so so on. I still have the other watches that I have always been very fond of. I might do one last consolidation to end up with 16 watches in total, four super grails and 12 classics.

I know I keep mentioning this, but I am still amazed myself, just 8 years ago I was a broken ma, no money, going through a horrible divorce, failing career, health issues, addiction to pain meds, acting like an addict. Goes to show you, if you persevere, anything is possible! I still remember those long years, suffering through withdrawal, trying to work out in the gym and rebuild by life, one agonizing moment at a time....

Nothing reminds me of how much my life has turned around as much as my watch collection, goes to show you how big of a watch nut I am. I do hope if someone, God forbid, goes through something similar, this acts as inspiration to them. I am available through PM if anyone needs advice on how to get through a slump.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Truly incredible watches Altair, and IMO consolidation for quality over quantity is NEVER a bad thing. :D I've done the same myself in the past a couple of times (although on a MUCH less impressive level!) and I've never regretted it. Quality over quantity every time.

Altair wrote:
I know I keep mentioning this, but I am still amazed myself, just 8 years ago I was a broken ma, no money, going through a horrible divorce, failing career, health issues, addiction to pain meds, acting like an addict. Goes to show you, if you persevere, anything is possible! I still remember those long years, suffering through withdrawal, trying to work out in the gym and rebuild by life, one agonizing moment at a time....

Nothing reminds me of how much my life has turned around as much as my watch collection, goes to show you how big of a watch nut I am. I do hope if someone, God forbid, goes through something similar, this acts as inspiration to them. I am available through PM if anyone needs advice on how to get through a slump.

Fantastic post there, and seriously inspirational. (I may need a few tips! :wink: )

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:12 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 22 posts
Altair wrote:
Thank you for the kind comments guys,

jnelson3097 wrote:

Not in the least, best move I ever made watch wise. For one thing, the two watches I acquired take my breath away every time I wear the, and sometimes even when I'm not (Just remembering I have a Double Split and a Chronometre Optimum at home gets me riled up!)

That said, the watches I traded in I was so so on. I still have the other watches that I have always been very fond of. I might do one last consolidation to end up with 16 watches in total, four super grails and 12 classics.

certainly a testament to strength and shear grit.

what have you still kept back other than the two super grails?

A

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Vvv

Last edited by Altair on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Altair wrote:
I have been meaning to do a new SOTC, but might as well wait until I’m done....

The result of the latest consolidation plus cash:

Attachment:
IMG_1588.jpg

I have to say the addition of a striking time mechanism completely changed the Zeitwerk in my eyes, this combo makes it such a pragmatic watch! The size increase to 44.2 gives it impact and presence that can’t quite be expressed in words or pictures.

Super jealous of that one Altair! An awesome piece and one of my favourite ALS's :bow: I thought you weren't much of a fan of the Zeitwerk before? Glad you've come around to it! :D

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
That ALS is my favorite ALS due to the uniqueness of it. And the fact it's a minute repeater which is one of the coolest complications in my opinion just tops it. Congrats on that one!!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
Altair wrote:
I have been meaning to do a new SOTC, but might as well wait until I’m done....

The result of the latest consolidation plus cash:

Attachment:
IMG_1588.jpg

I have to say the addition of a striking time mechanism completely changed the Zeitwerk in my eyes, this combo makes it such a pragmatic watch! The size increase to 44.2 gives it impact and presence that can’t quite be expressed in words or pictures.

Super jealous of that one Altair! An awesome piece and one of my favourite ALS's :bow: I thought you weren't much of a fan of the Zeitwerk before? Glad you've come around to it! :D

Very true, still hate the standard Zeitwerk. Pretty meaningless in my opinion and held no appeal. The addition of the attic king mechanism elevated both the watchmaking status and usability to the extent that the digital display now makes sense, it’s the ultimate pragmatic watch, legibility and audible notification perfected in a mechanical instrument! The standard Zeitwerk was just a digital watch.....

Plus I have to say the added size changes the look and feel immensely. It just looks boss!

This article explain how the striking time is a different beast than the mundane Zeitwerk and even the higher end minute repeater. It goes to show you how you need to experience a piece and understand it in person and the technology and philosophy behind it rather than look at online pictures.

https://monochrome-watches.com/review-a ... ics-price/

Last edited by Altair on Thu May 23, 2019 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

natesen wrote:
That ALS is my favorite ALS due to the uniqueness of it. And the fact it's a minute repeater which is one of the coolest complications in my opinion just tops it. Congrats on that one!!

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Thanks, yes quite taken with it. It’s actually competing with the double split as my favorite ALS. DS still has the edge though!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Congratulations

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:14 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 1 post
Hey there Altair! I am super new the whole world of watches. This piece is absolutely gorgeous! Simply jaw dropping. I have only a few cheap disposable watches so consolidation would net me less than $100 haha anyway, congrats on the new piece!