Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AP Millenary 4101
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:55 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Recently picked up an AP Millenary 4101. I know open watches are generally not liked by many forum members but I’m a complete sucker for a well-executed one. I know most readers will think that all watches in this thread are pretty ugly which is perfectly ok with me :) Personally I enjoy looking down at the watch and being able to see the escapement beating away and be reminded of the amazing and intricate little machine on my wrist.

When I started downsizing my collection I had 3 open faced watches. Zenith Bullit, Zenith Chronomaster 1969 and Glashutte Original Panoinverse. The Zenith Bullit was the easiest one to part with as the 45mm case was simply too large on my wrist. It looked pretty cool in the sunlight with the carbon fiber dial, the black ceramic case, and red accents, but this was an easy decision because the watch simply didn’t fit. Next up was the GO. I loved the look of this watch and the engraved double swan neck fine adjustment is a thing of beauty. My issue with this one was legibility. The white gold markers were impossible to read in the light because there wasn’t enough contract to the rhodium dial. I would look down at the watch and appreciate the craftsmanship, but I couldn’t tell the time because everything was just so shiny in the light. So, I sold both of these and the proceeds more than covered the purchase of my first higher end watch, the AP Millenary 4101. (I kept the Zenith Chronomaster 1969 as well)

Now this is a very non-traditional watch and I can understand why this would not be liked by most. I, however, like the fact that it’s non-traditional and the elements that most people dislike I actually like. I love the oval shape simply because it’s different. I think this is one of the few watches where the open aspect was not an after thought or a modification to an existing movement, but was engineered and designed specifically to be an open watch. As such, it doesn’t look like a hole was simply cut into the dial. The depth of the dial gives a very dynamic look with different elements and bridges at different levels. The dial is incredibly 3 dimensional with elements at varying heights. The movement is an in-house AP movement designed to fit the unique case shape. The finishing is incredible as would be expected from AP. And it solves the issue I had with the GO by having rose gold markers rather than white gold. Granted the small seconds overlapping the main dial does sometimes make telling the time more difficult during the overlapping hours. And the watch reminds me of the melting clock artwork of Salvador Dali who is my favorite artist. Even though the watch is listed as a 47mm watch, the lug to lug is around 49mm so it even fits my small wrists. So far I have been very impressed with this one and think I made the right decision of selling the Zenith and the GO and picking up this one in its place.

Post subject: AP Millenary 4101
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:12 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Fantastic watch and a great pick up! Many congratulations!!!

The Millenary is a really great piece, and one of APs saving graces in the eyes of “educated enthusiasts”. AP did a great job creating a unique technical look in my opinion. The Millenary is very popular with collectors, enthusiasts, and hobbyists alike. It is not for the average consumer for sure, but at a certain point in your watch collecting journey you develop a taste for the odd and extreme, that particular AP is a great way to scratch that itch while maintaining a bit of class. I sold mine as I had more watches than sense, but very much enjoyed my two years with the Millenary. The watch is a significant conversation piece I am sure you have discovered by now. It’s a great chance to explain to a novice how a mechanical watch works as the movement is simple and components are large. You will notice that AP designed the movement to mostly be visible from the dial rather than the back.

I think it is a huge upgrade over the Zenith and GO, trading those two for the Millenary was a boss move!

I am sure it will give you many years of joy. ABP Paris make a Wonderfull grey croc strap that fits it perfectly by the way.

Last edited by Altair on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: AP Millenary 4101
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Altair wrote:
Fantastic watch and a great pick up! Many congratulations!!!

The Millenary is a turkey great piece, and one of APs saving graces in the eyes of “educated enthusiasts”. AP did a great job creating a unique technical look in my opinion. The Millenary is very popular with collectors, enthusiasts, and hobbyists alike. It is not for the average consumer for sure, but at a certain point in your watch collecting journey you develop a taste for the odd and extreme, that particular AP is a great way to scratch that itch while maintaining a bit of class. I sold mine as I had more watches than sense, but very much enjoyed my two years with the Millenary.

I am sure it will give you many years of joy. ABP Paris make a Wonderfull grey croc strap that fits it perfectly by the way.

Thanks Altair! I was actually shopping online for a nice grey strap to go with this one so thank you very much for that piece of advice as that will save me a lot of time haha. I was thinking I might have had to go custom to find a nice gray one for this.

From what I heard, this watch did not sell well at all and AP no longer even shows it on their website. I was at the boutique in New York a few weeks ago and they said it was discontinued in the US but they believed it was still being sold overseas. In the US you can only buy the women's versions now.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:22 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
The US is a unique market with specific tastes. It makes sense AP would drop watches that don’t sell well in a certain market, but I see the Millenary quite a bit on Russians, Chinese, and Middle East Royalty.

Interestingly, Vacheron and JLC do not perform well in the US relative to other markets. I never understood why. It probably has to do with accepted norms.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:27 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Haha looks like my tastes don't fit with where I live then. I always really liked JLC as I mentioned in the other thread I would love to get a duometre and a Polaris and the VC overseas that you got in blue is one of my favorite watches that I very much admire.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
It surely is a unique looking watch. I'd just have a hard time giving up the GO for it. I really the AP in pictures but I've never tried it on so it's hard to say too much about a watch you've only seen in pictures. The finishing on it look amazing and like you said, it doesn't matter what we think as long as you're still smiling.

What is the lug width on the AP?

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:36 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Thanks Justin! The GO is actually the only watch I miss from the 16 I've sold so far so I will agree with you on that one. The AP is really hard to capture in pictures because there are varying levels to the watch and there is a lot of depth as nothing is on the same plain. It's a 47 mm watch at its widest point but it is only 49mm lug to lug so it is surprisingly wearable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:37 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Sorry, you asked for the lug width. I'm actually not sure and need to measure it before I buy anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:18 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
See now that's a proper AP alternative to the RO or ROO. :thumbsup: Certainly a niche piece, but one I'd definitely take myself.

I think you definitely made the right decision moving on the carbon fibre Zenith and the GO for it. The GO was nice, but you're getting a similar look in MUCH nicer (and more legible) piece in the AP.

Very nice.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:59 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Congratulations on the latest AP acquisition. As Driver said, an excellent alternative to the RO and ROO lines! I only wish I had your tenacity to move all of those pieces, every time I mention that I would like to sell a piece my better half says one of two things, "Didn't you get that to celebrate x, y, or Z?" or simply "You don't want it, I"ll take it!". Congratulations again!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:22 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Wow -- what a completely different, unique and amazing piece! Absolutely love it.

That piece totally draws you in and begs for different levels of visual exploration and appreciation. Very dynamic wrist presence.

Very, very cool. Good for you Natesen -- congrats and enjoy!!! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Wow!!This is really great.. Congrats!