The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:05 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 3 posts
New story of a ruling from late April this year. The U.S. Patent and Trade Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board ruled against OMEGA's opposition to the use of the Greek letter omega by Alliant Techsystems, Inc.

Story here: http://www.insidecounsel.com/2015/06/29/time-runs-out-on-omega

Sample of how Alliant uses the Ω symbol here: http://tmhound.com/results.asp?maxFiles=10&sort=1&adv=1&owner=BlackHawk+Industries+Product+Group+Unlimited+LLC&nPage=3

OMEGA's claim was that use of the Ω symbol by Alliant on its products may confuse some consumers and leave them with the impression that the item was an OMEGA product and that Alliant would benefit from using a symbol associated with a well-established brand. Alliant doesn't make watches, they produce tactical gear and tactical equipment for military, law enforcement and defense applications and general purpose bags and pouches for holding tactical gear and tactical equipment.

I sympathize with OMEGA, but I'm biased. I own one of their watches and I'm more aware of the brand and I recognize it when I see it. Just like if you own a car (pick your colour & brand) you tend to notice them everywhere. I would agree that most people outside of the watch enthusiast community may not be familiar with OMEGA; some may recognize the logo, but only from watching timed sporting events, e.g. at the Olympic Games. You have to go to sites that list hundreds of global brands: http://brandirectory.com/league_tables/table/global-500-2014 in order to find where Swiss-made watch companies rate in terms of recognition.

Speaking of the Olympics, the IOC is well-known for stamping out almost all infringements (real, or imagined) on its brand including uses of the word "Olympic" and certainly the use of the five rings logo. When the 2010 Winter Games were awarded to Vancouver, the local Olympia Restaurant had to fight hard to keep its name and logo, having had a long history in that market. See story: http://www.olympiapizza.com/About.html. Even more reading: http://dspace.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/1880/47943/1/Bowal_Whats2010_LawNow.pdf.

So a few questions: Do you think OMEGA's claim has merit, or were they going too far against Alliant Techsystems, Inc.? When does a company/organization go too far to protect its name and logo?

dams-r-us

PS. Happy Canada Day! :canada

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:09 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 844 posts
It surprises me OMEGA would even waste there time and money suing over a logo that's used in so many things, as I was reading this I noticed it on my package of wraps. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Super avenger night mission
1 Limited edition chronomat Boston Celtics
Navitimer GMT
Transocean Chronograph Unitime
2 Omega planet ocean chronographs
1 Tag heuer Monaco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:02 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I love Omega as a watch brand, but stuff like this is pathetic IMO.

If Alliant made watches (or if Omega made tactical gear) then maybe there would be a case to answer, but prestige high-end watches and pistol holsters are about as similar as armadillos and bread! NO-ONE is going to muddle them up!

Plus the fact they chose a LETTER (OK, a Greek letter, but still a simple LETTER all the same) as their name and logo does make the likelihood of someone else using it in some way or other, somewhat higher than a more bespoke name and/or logo.

What next? Maybe we'll see a company called "A", trying to sue anyone using the letter A in any advertising. :roll:

Pathetic Omega - get back to making superb watches instead of wasting time and money on garbage like this.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
I love Omega as a watch brand, but stuff like this is pathetic IMO... Plus the fact they chose a LETTER (OK, a Greek letter, but still a simple LETTER all the same) as their name and logo

Completely agree.

Perhaps the Greek government should sue Omega for stealing one of their letters. They could use the money...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Expensive way to broadcast the fact that WE are not THEM.

Now we do, just in case you never did.

"You have Control".