The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I've got to be honest but I've been very surprised by the lack of chat on here this year about Baselworld releases. Sure we've had a bit of chat about the new Breitling releases, but in past years there was a lot more interest in other brand's releases too. Times change I guess...........

Anyway, I know this watch has always been polarising in the extreme, but it's one of my all time favourites : the Omega Ploprof 1200 that was originally (re)released in 2007. This year the Ploprof is in for a reworking.......and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it!

Now hewn from grade 5 titanium I believe (... and I certainly HOPE so or else it'll be dead in the water to me if it's grade 2) which makes it both lighter but also harder than the out-going SS model. It also now comes with a ceramic bezel insert instead of the sapphire one, which IMO gives it a look more in keeping with the 70's original. They've also now installed the new 8912 super-anti-magnetic movement (no-date for a cleaner look), and a display back, which is pretty amazing on a 1200m WR watch.

It's also available in 4 colour-ways. To me, the black dial/bezel is still the way to go, but I must confess to liking the two-tone version too. (I'm not so much of a fan of the grey and white dial versions though).

I have to say it's tempting me to sell my SS version. :shock: I can't wait to try this one on. :thumbsup:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seama ... ter-watch/

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:28 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Agree completely Driver8, it's a great evolution of the PloProf, and the DB is a spectacular move. I'm not entirely convinced about the two tone - would need to see it in the metal, although I do quite like the white dial / blue bezel. The grey doesn't quite work for me, I think a darker grey would have been better.

Also a little surprised by the lack of discussions - I've been pretty busy personally (and if I'm honest, the lack of engagement on things like the competitions lower the motivation), but we certainly would have seen more debate in the past.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:34 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I really like the blue bezel version. It's a watch I'll never buy but I can totally respect the history behind it.

In regards to Basel and Omega specifically, I think they've jumped the shark on their dark side of the moons. I don't get the 4 new versions, although I actually like the color scheme on the vintage version. The white side of the moon is horrendous and I don't understand the logic behind releasing that.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
They definitely went crazy with the dark side versions. The vintage one with the brown strap is really nice, but the all black and the white ones are awful. Not sure why they needed so many versions of it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Agree Driver. Nice. It had escaped me with all the razzmatazz of the opening first days. Saw a comparison of the original and the later version recently (not sure it was the 1200M) but only subtle changes by the looks of it. Even the sky walker x33 got my interest, and I am not a digital fan.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
jnelson3097 wrote:
In regards to Basel and Omega specifically, I think they've jumped the shark on their dark side of the moons. I don't get the 4 new versions, although I actually like the color scheme on the vintage version. The white side of the moon is horrendous and I don't understand the logic behind releasing that.

+1. I've cited Omega quite a lot on here in the past, as the example for Breitling to follow in regard to imaginative but sensitive reissues from their back-catalogue of classics, but that 'white side' was like a horological April Fool's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 5 posts
The Ploprof Ti is without doubt my favourite release from Basel this year. It's an absolutely fantastic looking watch! I can't wait to try them on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:06 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
I still appreciate the Ploprof, and indeed it may even be growing on me :wink: although I can't yet see myself owning - getting closer though. I think it's a very positive evolution; my favorite is the grey deal - it looks very sharp. Love the DB also, that's awesome!

At least Omega hasn't changed the original design, although they probably couldn't and still retain the name.

As for the basel banter, hopefully it starts to pick up as it's a fun time of the year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
I'm not a fan of the Ploprof, just doesn't suit my tastes, but the switch to titanium would seem to be a plus.

As for Basel in general, been following most of the release posts but haven't seen much interesting this year. Omega hasn't impressed me for a few years, their new movements just made the pieces less wearable for me, and agree the added dark/ light/medium side of the moon models, yuck. Haven't been around the watch world for all that long, but it does seem that Basel and the hype that surrounds it has died down the last couple years.

I did see kind of an interesting diver from Longines though, 1967 re-issue or some sort, had an interesting look to it, good size at 42mm. Nothing I need from Sinn, Oris, and Ball either this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:26 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Driver8 wrote:
I've got to be honest but I've been very surprised by the lack of chat on here this year about Baselworld releases. Sure we've had a bit of chat about the new Breitling releases, but in past years there was a lot more interest in other brand's releases too. Times change I guess...........

Anyway, I know this watch has always been polarising in the extreme, but it's one of my all time favourites : the Omega Ploprof 1200 that was originally (re)released in 2007. This year the Ploprof is in for a reworking.......and I have to say I absolutely LOVE it!

Now hewn from grade 5 titanium I believe (... and I certainly HOPE so or else it'll be dead in the water to me if it's grade 2) which makes it both lighter but also harder than the out-going SS model. It also now comes with a ceramic bezel insert instead of the sapphire one, which IMO gives it a look more in keeping with the 70's original. They've also now installed the new 8912 super-anti-magnetic movement (no-date for a cleaner look), and a display back, which is pretty amazing on a 1200m WR watch.

It's also available in 4 colour-ways. To me, the black dial/bezel is still the way to go, but I must confess to liking the two-tone version too. (I'm not so much of a fan of the grey and white dial versions though).

I have to say it's tempting me to sell my SS version. :shock: I can't wait to try this one on. :thumbsup:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-seama ... ter-watch/

Here ya go D8, you missed a version: don't want you to make the wrong choice, :) .

http://www.esquire.com/style/mens-acces ... seamaster/

Last edited by Kodiak on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:12 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
Kodiak wrote:

Here ya go D8, you missed a version:

And I thought the dumbest thing Omega did was make those platinum planet oceans last year but this is by far way worse.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:43 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Yikes, I bet all the omega fan boys on some other sites that always rip on breitling "bling" would not be a fan of that release.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Kodiak wrote:

Here ya go D8, you missed a version:

:shock: Holy smoke!! :lol: They've "out-Breitlinged Breitling" with that one! In recent years I've held huge respect for Omega in the way they've kept everything very classy and tasteful, especially with their re-releases (re-imaginings) of classics, and steered clear of any of the bizarreness that Breitling has gone in for at times.

But that diamond Ploprof is just stupidity galore! :lol: The greatest divers tool watch in history turned into nothing more than a Premiership footballers "manhood" extension! Hilarious, awful and ludicrous in equal measures!

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:54 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
That is hideous...and what a price tag.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:15 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 40 posts
Ti is a good move, but I really don't get the glass caseback thing :? . I guess eventually the whole Omega range will be like this :huh

Steve