The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:08 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 105 posts
Chalk and cheese here.
The watches in my collection are what an iWatch or any other smart watch for that matter will never be - a piece of jewelery.
No doubt the iWatch is an exciting gadget but a piece of jewelery it is not and never will be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:55 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Although I like to see technlogy progress, and for some this may be a perfect use of watch and notifications... It's not for me. I like to know my watch is alive, has a pulse and ticks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
If nothing else, this gadget is getting a lot of air play (as you would expect). Heres a few thoughts from Linked In by Bernard Marr. The article does not necessarily accord with my view, but his comments are interesting and succinct.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-reason ... rnard-marr

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
If Breitling is smart, they'll drive down the smartwatch road for the Professional series. Breitling should focus on "Instruments for Professionals" where the smartwatch is the core and the smartphone is a support tool. Integration with a smartphone (as with the B-55 promos) could improve data logging, analysis and settings. It would also provide alternate access to functions as an option to pushers and crowns. Integration with a smartphone could also help when the crown falls off. :shock: {The devil made me type that. :evil: :oops: }

If Breitling stays in the classic wrist zone, the others (e.g. Tag Heuer/Google) will eat their lunch with the Professionals and technology adopters. That would leave Breitling in an uncomfortably narrowing classic market space. Good luck with that. We love complications and the simple fact is complications are better suited to electrons than gears, springs, levers etc.

Desert Hiker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:10 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 6 posts
I scoffed at the notion that the Apple Watch will eat into the market share of high end Swiss Watches. I could understand how the Apple watch will eat up sales of lower end Swiss watches and the Casios of the world and also how it would appeal to a whole generation of "I don't wear a watch" people, but from the rate Tag, Breitling and now apparently Rolex is joining the race- https://api.watchville.co/v2/posts/15645/click

I am not sure if I can scoff anymore.
I will definitely buy the Apple Watch. I am a huge fan of all things Apple and would even queue up to buy an Apple Brick (smooth curves and industrial grade aluminum, it sets beautifully on the desk and will change the way we use paperweights forever) , I am not sure how I would give up wearing my beloved Breitling, Panerai watches. So I am not sure how I would integrate the Apple watch I to my daily life, but I will definitely get one.

:fulllingclub:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Could it be that the Rolex smartwatch thing described on this Watchville internet site is an April Fool's joke?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
gbuergisser wrote:
Could it be that the Rolex smartwatch thing described on this Watchville internet site is an April Fool's joke?

Yes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:39 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 414 posts
I actually think there would be a market for a simpler version of the Apple watch with just a time keeping capability but with the ability to change displays. Something a bit larger, a bit more interesting case, but with the ability to simulate the functions of analog and digital display watches. You wouldn't need to buy different watches to do the same thing. The technology is already here to do it. The different watch makers might be interested and use only their dial designs. Would be sorta neat to have a Navitimer display one minute and a Superocean the next just with a small alteration to the watch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:50 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I am a Samsung Note 4 user and love the Android OS, but when they came out with their watch... I looked at it and for the life of me couldn't find a reason to own one. 1st off, it is big and repeats basically what the phone I am carrying is already doing and 2nd I am a WIS and wouldn't think of exchanging my mechanical watch for the electronic counterpart.

Now that Apple is making them...nothing has changed for me. In fact I don't care for Apple's OS and so all my tablets and such are Android. I won't be purchasing one...for sure.

Bell & Ross BR03-92 Phantom
Steinhart BreitlingSource LE #5/15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 12 posts
vintage wrote:
I actually think there would be a market for a simpler version of the Apple watch with just a time keeping capability but with the ability to change displays. Something a bit larger, a bit more interesting case, but with the ability to simulate the functions of analog and digital display watches. You wouldn't need to buy different watches to do the same thing. The technology is already here to do it. The different watch makers might be interested and use only their dial designs. Would be sorta neat to have a Navitimer display one minute and a Superocean the next just with a small alteration to the watch.

Mine is due for delivery Friday 24th earliest. I went for the 42mm on the Milanese, I thought it looked the classiest of the combo's.

I really like the face on the second picture above, classic simplicity that reminds me of those little Braun alarm clocks that were so popular in the 80's and 90's.

I like the ability to add things like moon phase and temp, and then be able to click on them to get more info.

It will be interesting if Apple open up the watch face design to third parties, not that I expect the likes of Breitling to cheapen themselves and make 'Breitling Apple Watch' faces available, Rolex maybe..... :P

Can't wait to get it.

Stef

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Oh yeah, and the fact that the second hand on every Apple watch in the world is synchronized together, well, that's pretty awesome, and of course an accuracy of +/- 50ms of the global time standard, yeah I know technically it's a network time signal!

Stef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:25 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
I can imagine appreciating an iwatch but I can't imagine it ever making me FEEL the way a mechanical watch does.

Stefan Tapp likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:36 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Novacastrian wrote:
I can imagine appreciating an iwatch but I can't imagine it ever making me FEEL the way a mechanical watch does.

Absolutely! I enjoy wearing any of my mechanicals so much more than my limited number of new fangled electric ones!

I had one of those cheap Parnis watches with the visible balance wheel and power meter, it didn't last too long but it was great to wear and watch the movement.

Stef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:43 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have to agree with the above. I imagine a time will come when we'll all wonder how we ever got along without them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

I have to say, on first impressions, it's awesome! It's very light, wears smaller and more discrete than you'd think and the Milanese is so comfortable as it is infinitely adjustable, such a clever design!

Stef

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next