Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:50 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Hi Everyone,

I had a very unusual invitation a few weeks back, set down for this morning. I was asked through a mutual friend if I wanted to go to the Frank Muller Boutique here in Melbourne? At the moment its Australia's only FM Boutique (Sydney is on the books, or so I believe). As far as I can make out, it's not a walk in AD, but seems to be on the basis of destination shopping only. Most customers pre-arrange a visit. Pass the very heavy security doors and you are into the whole world of FM.

The premises have a rarefied atmosphere and are beautifully fitted out. It's right on the top end of Collins Street and is in exclusive retail company. The shopping precinct speaks 'establishment' and it seemed a fitting location, what with its High Victorian Architecture and solidity. It's also darn quiet in this part of the City, even though there is plenty of traffic outside. I did not take any pictures of the visit or even ask to do so. Sorry about that, but I was immediately taken away from all sense and reason once I stepped over that door threshold. I may have been allowed to, but I just did not think of it. Seriously.

It was quite an eye opener for me. I was ushered by the Manager (Tommy) to observe an array of Crazy Hands on display (I could not count the number of display models as I ran out of fingers and toes). There were just so many watches on display. My friend Daniel wanted to see the smallest minute repeater they had in store (a cool $300k), which appears, works and sounds like the design of a genius (or a mad man). The hand enamelled faces are beautifully executed and the designs are so out of this world. The most interesting thing though was the number of complications and the number of components in some of the watches on display. Of course, I immediately put the MR down once I was advised how much it cost. I could feel the beads of sweat on my fingers at the notion. Safely back on the display desk we moved onto some of the very fine pieces of mechanical mastery the Boutique Manager could find for us. Some were very heavy and a with a solid feel that belied the size.

The secret hours were a joy to behold. The secret timing must be a watch making nightmare, but the effect is stunning. All off the one crown to control the watch in either direction. Surely Frank is playing with us all! No, not a bit of it. It does what it says on the box. Next, we moved onto the Long Island Day & Night with its retrograde movement. Something here for everyone really! One of the most unusual watches was the 'Take your Time'. Its slow sweep of the hour hand, then the fast sweep at around lunch time (where the numbers are spaced further apart) was a novel and horological tour de force.

Lastly, a quick look at the Tourbillons display (all hand wound every day for display purposes) and we were finished. The upshot is that many of the Boutiques customers are looking for a work of art, a unique experience or something that cannot be found elsewhere. A one off acquisition would be more than acceptable to many who buy there.

I am very grateful to Daniel for organising the visit and I am indebted to him for sharing the hour we spent combing the store. Tommy's 30 years in the watch industry showed no lack of keen interest and enthusiasm in all things connected to watches. His knowledge of the FM story and the offerings were evident during that hour. His very kind nature and the generosity of his time made it a memorable visit. Thank you Tommy.

"You have Control".