The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
1st post updated with the list of 64 that have made it to the 1st round proper, I'll get the voting threads done as I can - there may be two batches of them as there are 32 threads required!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
I just hope we'll have active voting on this, huge amount of work you are investing here, Roff; thank you !

reason for editing: typophobia

Last edited by WatchFred on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

34 votes on one of the play ins, 32 on another, 33 for all of the rest. Let's hope that it's just because it's play ins. I don't mind the work if it's worthwhile, but not going to do it every year for 30 odd votes out of a membership of almost 16,000.

edit - 32 voting threads now live in the Forum Projects section - viewforum.php?f=25

Used Random.org again but 'adjusted' two of the matchups to avoid a first round same brand match up as previously discussed (1 Rolex, 1 Breitling).

I'm thinking that from round 2 onwards it's just completely random unless the consensus is that we should avoid brand match ups until round 3......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:34 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Roffensian wrote:
I'm thinking that from round 2 onwards it's just completely random unless the consensus is that we should avoid brand match ups until round 3......

I'm fine with that. It was nice in round 1 to have each watch brand fight off against another but I'm not sure that is really material in later rounds.

Thanks again for the work Roff, that would have indeed taken some time to set up. Some very tough match ups that required some thought. Again I seemed to vote with the majority most of the time, but I did manage to surprise myself a couple of times which was nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:26 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Random sounds perfect, you definitely already put in more than your fair share of work on this. Thanks again, I for one am thoroughly enjoying it!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:54 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Will get round 2 started in the next couple of days - a bit busy right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Sorry I've not been on since beginning of December for various reasons so I'm totally lost with this now. Will try and catch up over the next few days!

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:22 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

OK, slight delay on round 2 because we have a tie breaker for round 1. I've set it up for just 3 days this time so that we can keep this thing moving, with so few people voting I don't think it's going to have much material impact. Tie breaker is between the Speedy 145.012 and the AP Royal Oak - viewtopic.php?f=25&t=51806

Some very interesting results in some of the other matchups including a few real head scratchers - a Jaeger losing to a ChronoSwiss???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
20 voters, what a shame.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:01 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

WatchFred wrote:
20 voters, what a shame.

Oh now be fair Fred, some of the matchups had 22!

Won't be doing this again.........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:23 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 47 posts
Of the aprox 16K members any idea how many have more than a few posts or how many visit the site on a "regular" basis whatever regular might be? Maybe 3-4 times a week. How many of those 16K have been here in the last month or two? From the board index I see people currently on line, many are guests (not logged in perhaps) is there a more robust stats location on this site that I don't know about?

Not very scientific but 20-25 seems about how many frequent user IDs I'd guess I see on a daily/weekly basis posting. You guys that have been here for a long time what sort of turnout would you expect from something like this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:33 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Admin may have more stats, I don't. When we did the first Breitling competition in August / September 2012 there were over 50 votes per match up, over 60 for some and obviously the site wasn't as big then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:57 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
The site may have been smaller but I'm wondering about the overall numbers of Breitling enthusiasts and the damage done by the last three years of changes to the lineup. To the extent this is becoming a "known" place for people asking for information, that's great. I still see people identifying new Breitling purchases here but it seems to me, quite unscientifically, that the number of regular posters who were buying multiple Breitling pieces has dropped off. I remember when I joined the significant numbers of people gushing over their new CSOs, Steelfish and Evos, as well as the Navis and Avenger variants of course and other models. That enthusiast group, who would likely vote, seems like it has dropped off, and I can only conclude that it relates to product line changes.

The product line has improved a bit and if it continues, I think a larger group would participate in the future.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

The site has definitely evolved Scott - it's a different community than before and perhaps less 'depth' to some of the topics - a lot of the basic questions have already been asked and answered and as more people do search there is less 'new' information posted which might lead to some people becoming less active. That said, we do get the visitors and even if you don't want to trawl through 32 threads it only takes a few seconds to vote for your favourite watch. Oh well, c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
rplace wrote:
Of the aprox 16K members any idea how many have more than a few posts or how many visit the site on a "regular" basis whatever regular might be? Maybe 3-4 times a week. How many of those 16K have been here in the last month or two? From the board index I see people currently on line, many are guests (not logged in perhaps) is there a more robust stats location on this site that I don't know about?

Not very scientific but 20-25 seems about how many frequent user IDs I'd guess I see on a daily/weekly basis posting. You guys that have been here for a long time what sort of turnout would you expect from something like this?

Well as Roff said it's difficult to get accurate stats, even from the moderators control panel. However I've just looked at the membership list and while there's only 3 of us with over 10,000 posts, we have 61 members with over 1000 posts, so there are a few people who post quite a lot. More tellingly though, we've had 121 new members in the 17 days since 1st Jan 2014..... so we have plenty who could take part. I guess the interest for this kind of thing (like watch projects) just isn't really there any more......

Site Moderator

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next