The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
I'm looking to finally get my wife a watch for her upcoming birthday. I really like the JLC Rendez-Vous, but I don't like the price tag. Fortunately, I found a used one for sale at a shop called Uhren Atelier in Dresden, Germany. However, I have some reservations about buying used and wanted to get opinions:

1. It does not have the box or papers. It's out of warranty at this point, so the papers aren't technically meaningful, but I would like to have the complete package. I'm assuming I could use this to negotiate the price down.

2. Uhren Atelier does not seem to be a JLC AD. They do seem reputable and I assume the watch is legit, but I'd feel better knowing they were an AD.

3. Perhaps the biggest red flag with this watch is its reference number. The seller claims the caseback says 346.8.56 S. Inputting this to Google brings up Asian websites. The standard Rendez-Vous ref for the 29mm model is 346.81.21. Is it possible that JLC had an Asian-only model or is something fishy going on?

Given that not many of these come up on the used market, I can't just find another seller. Considering all the above, would you pursue this watch?

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:05 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Lack of B&P is always a reason to negotiate price down (if not already factored in to the price), I would be less concerned with whether the store was an AD if it is a used piece, and no idea on the model number - may be worth asking a JLC AD for some assistance.

I don't see any particular red flags, and the watch in question is real :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:43 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 17 posts
Thanks for easing my concerns, Roff. I really would rather not buy used at all, but my wife will kill me if I pay retail for this one. I'll actually be in London today and am going to stop by the JLC boutique and enquire about the bizarre model reference.

I'm also struggling a little with how to price this watch. Since there aren't many on the used market, I don't have a good reference point. Is there a rule of thumb for the average price off retail one should pay for a used ladies watch. I'm assuming they maintain even less resale value than men's watches.

Navitimer 01- Limited Edition #1337/2000

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:56 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
bozman52 wrote:
I'm also struggling a little with how to price this watch. Since there aren't many on the used market, I don't have a good reference point. Is there a rule of thumb for the average price off retail one should pay for a used ladies watch. I'm assuming they maintain even less resale value than men's watches.

Smaller supply, smaller demand - often a wash. I have no idea on the pricing of ladies' JLCs though so trying to find comparables (even other similar models) is the way to go. I would look for other ladies model JLCs (excluding Reversos which have more of a following) for indicators.