Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Belt-driven...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:55 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Recently I've decided to change up my collection a bit & got me some watches I've always liked but never owned, such as this conveyor belt-driven Devon Tread 1F...

Devon Works is a California-based US watchmaker and when the Tread 1 was launched in 2010, it was the only American-manufactured watch to ever be nominated as a finalist in the Grand Prix d' Horlogerie de Genève (the Academy Awards of watches) -- to finish runner-up in the Design and Concept Watch category to the winner, the HM4 Thunderbolt.

Incidentally I was actually fortunate enough to play around with the hM4 for a few weeks when I courriered one for a friend last year. While the HM4 is an amazing watch to look at, it still tells time with the traditional clockwise dial. The Devon with it's multiple conveyor-belts on the other hand, is simply mesmerizing to watch! (pardon the pun :D)

The watch is very large but very light. The double-jointed lugs hug my 6-3/4" wrist very well making the watch extremely comfortable to wear. I actually love the massive wrist-presence and "noisy" belts and hence prefer the Tread 1 over the smaller & quieter Tread 2.

If the seconds belt is left running continuously, the watch has a 4-days "power reserve". The clicks are LOUD & easily heard in all but the noisiest environment. The Tread 1 also has a 'quiet' mode where only the minutes & hours belts are running & the seconds belt is off -- a necessity for when you're in an enclosed space like a car or the plane. In this mode the watch has a roughly 2-weeks power reserve.

The belt-driven movement is trully hypnotic and is easily the center of attention in almost every WIS setting I've been to. Other all-mechanical belt-driven haute horology creations are available, but those are priced waaaayyyy above my pay grade. The Devon is made "affordable" (relatively speaking) because it's actually an 'electro-mechanical' device which runs on... rechargeable battery! This is probably the number one factor which deter many watch collectors. But since I've owned a superquartz Emergency Mission & Panerai 193 which also uses a battery (to power it's Metas-certified depth gauge), batteries don't bother me ;)

One advantage is that the watch can be turned off completely -- perfect for when you're in church or at the movies! All the belts will run a full rotation & the watch will display 12:00:00 when turned off. It will repeat this 'belt-calibration' when it's turned back on, before advancing to the correct current time.

While the Devon display box doubles as a cool cordless induction battery charger (there are no plugs on the watch itself), it's certainly not feasible to bring the box around when travelling. Imho Devon needs to make a trully portable travel charger that perhaps simply plug into a USB charger. Incidentally, on a long trip recently where I have multiple watches, I discovered that repeated on/offs (whenever I'm not wearing the Devon) drain the battery much faster than to simply let the watch run continuously in its 'quiet' mode.

While it's definitely not a watch for the masses, for the techno-gadget lover like me the Devon Tread 1 brings great pleasure indeed! :mrgreen:

Some pics & a short video:

Short video:

Post subject: Re: Belt-driven...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Nice pickup, I just wish that it was mechanical.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:46 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Really like that, a lot. Congrats!

Rolex milgauss GV
Olivant and Botsford 40mm Gold edition

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Nice pickup, I just wish that it was mechanical.
Closest I can afford to this! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
I was just looking at some reviews of it yesterday!
Whilst not for me, I do love the styling and the design. I'm glad you're enjoying it, and great to see some 'real life' pics! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Not a cheap piece, but a very cool pickup! You won't see many of those on wrists down the pub! :thumbsup:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Thanks bros!! :D