The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:18 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Ok so I was in a jewellers a while ago to get a new battery for an old Fossil watch. It was waterproofed to 330Ft like most watches now adays.

However, she told me that the prices were £5 for a new battery and for it to be fitted, a further £25 to have it re-waterproofed"

I was like right, wtf...

so my question is... was the person trying to rip me off? I thought they were watertight as soon as they were closed... secondly, is it possible to waterproof a watch that was not originally waterproofed?

I have a watch that a good spot of rain will make steam up... quite annoying when you live in a temperate climate (Northern Ireland).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
re-waterproofing usually means replacing all the gaskets/o-rings in the caseback and the crown/pushers... and then testing the watch for it's depth rating. Its usually pricey, but I've never had too many problems with watches staying decently waterproof when swimming when i just changed the battery out myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

breitlingsource wrote:
re-waterproofing usually means replacing all the gaskets/o-rings in the caseback and the crown/pushers... and then testing the watch for it's depth rating. Its usually pricey, but I've never had too many problems with watches staying decently waterproof when swimming when i just changed the battery out myself.
Ok so basically she was trying to sucker me in? It would have worked too had I not been sensible. To the less discerning watch-lover (me) if you open it, it's instantly not waterproofed! So I thought that it had to be re-waterproofed.

Is it possible to make watches waterproof?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:28 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

OK I'm glad you're asking this! :!:
First of all, what she probably meant with "waterproofing" is "pressure testing". This is done after a water-resistant watch's cell is changed, to let the customer know if the watch is still water resistant. This is for your peace-of-mind, and is not a guarantee. Meaning that there is no warranty on water resistance. IF the watch would test NOT water resistant, then they can offer you a "water-resistance-renewal" and this includes a full set of new gaskets, and (usually) a year warranty.(this is only done by a watchmaker, so if they don't have one in-house, they'll have to send it out)

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WATERPROOF WATCH! (not even Rolex even though they claim so)

All the gaskets in a watch will over time loose it's function! If you swim regularly with your watch, gaskets should be replaced AT LEAST EVERY 3-4 YEARS. (or every cell change)
Another myth: "seals don't break" after opening a watch. If the gasket is good before you open it, it'll be good after you close the watch. If the gasket is bad before, it'll still be bad afterwards... duh!
Hope this answers your question! :D

Respectfully,
Vanessa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I love it when watchmakeress steps in a takes charge like that! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I would hope they add o-ring grease on every change (which improves the life of the o-ring/gasket) -- at least this is the case for my diving housings..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:53 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 2 posts
I have to add to Vanessas statement, that gaskets are made out of rubber. They include a softener, which diminishes after some time. If You use perfectly new gaskets under perfect conditions, they can hold for up to 10 years. But when You wear a watch, You cannot offer those perfect conditions. Sweat, perfumes, cigaret smoke! and salt water are the most damaging things for Your gaskets.

A few watches are offered with hard pvc-gaskets. Those usually hold a lot longer, although the overall resistance of the watch is not as good. They are usually only 5 athmospheres. And the crown has a rubergasket anyways. Also, You should not forget the crystal gasket.

For some watches (TAG Heuer chronographs for example) You also have to change the tubes for crown and pushers.

We have a system in the store, not to guarantee the waterresistance for battery changes. If we give the watch to our watchmaker, he can check, if the watch is still resistant after the change, then we give 1/2 year guarantee. (Therefore we ask for a little higher amount, to cover mistakes as an internal insurance). If the customer wants to have it definitely waterresistant agein, we give it to the general agent for sealing.

Personally I would not reseal a cheap watch like a fossil. The work can cost more than the original watch.

BG
Thomas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:37 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

What are these gaskets that everyone is speaking of? Pics aswell would be handy!

But still, people have failed to answer my question. Can you waterproof a watch that was not originally waterproof?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

if the watch was designed water-resistant it's possible that it can be restored.. if the watch wasn't water resistant by design, no chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:26 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

breitlingbob wrote:
...But still, people have failed to answer my question. Can you waterproof a watch that was not originally waterproof?!

I thought my statement of
Quote:
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WATERPROOF WATCH!
would have answered that question. :?
But if you're asking if a watch can be made water resistant, my answer would be "no". The crown would have to be made a "screw-on", which is impossible. Another thing is, that a watch that is NOT ROUND, can never be water resistant enough to swim with! :!:

Quote:
I would hope they add o-ring grease on every change (which improves the life of the o-ring/gasket)

Yes Josh, that is something I do. (which won't be done at a "fast-repair-type-of-place") :D