The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Some of you seem to have quite a collection of watches. Do you have them specially insured and what kind of policies does your insurance companies give them? Does it matter if you use your watch as a everyday watch?

How do you and your companies value your watches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:11 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

thats not a bad idea. Anyone who has it can you explain the details behind it.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:42 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Mine's only on house insurance, and with a deductible of $1000! I should inquire more for my watches since the recent scam that I got into, they would not even cover it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
I've had to claim house insurance once before.. only had $5K covered, had much more in jewelry/watches taken. Paid the $1000 deductible and got $5K back.

I wrote a very short article just giving some basics to look at and things to think about when considering how to protect your watch investments:

http://blog.breitlingsource.com/2007/07 ... ollection/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:58 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

I am going through the process of adding additional coverage to my house policy right now. In most cases as mentioned before the basic home insurance covers about 5-6K in Jewelery with a deductible as high as $1000. Not one to care about having to worry about my watches I decided to give my insurance company a call to initiate the process. In my case I simply have to provide proof of purchase or appraisal of watches over $3500, model, serial number and estimate (I use MSRP) or replacement cost of the other watches. You may choose to simply have all the watches professionally appraised and provide that as proof of value. In my case I have a discontinued model Tag so I checked with a AD what current model would be a reasonable replacement. You're then required to send original copy of the documents via registered mail to the insurance company. They will then get back to you with a quote and if agreed upon can start coverage immediately.

Like most home insurance policy this will cover you against lost or theft even when away from home. For example if your watch is stolen or lost while on vacation the only real lose is its sentimental value. The watch itself will be replaced under the extended coverage. In my opinion a small price to pay knowing that I can enjoy your watches whenever and wherever.

Hope this helps..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

It is quite interesting to read how policies are different in other countries. Mine actually is more similar to what Jerome reffered than what it is in US.

The thing what actually gave me a smile on my face was that I have the ultimate scurity system mentioned in breitlinsource's article. There is a Dobermann -dog keeping on eye of my house :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:37 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I think I'm quite lucky (in Canada) - my company just needed me to name it as an item to be covered as part of the contents. I have coverage for contents up to half the value of the home and any item over $1,000 is covered as part of that coverage as long as it is specifically named and details provided - they just want photo / model # / serial #.

Oh and my security system is 5 Alaskan Malamutes :lol: