Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
hi everyone,

i think the watch bug has bitten me. i got my first chrono evo and i cant help but just stare at it from time to time. when i'm sitting at my desk, when i'm riding the elevator, waiting for lunch, well you get my point.

i'm thinking about which watch to get next. i'm mulling over the super avenger (white or navy dial) and two omegas the speedie (either the original pro or the sapphire sandwich) or the 42mm aqua terra (white dial, rose gold hands).

anyone have any suggestions, advise about which watch to go for next, or just the general hobby of collecting watches? and has anyone done any watch shopping in asia, particularly korea? i'm wondering how the prices and general experience differ from the us/europe. thanks a lot for any advice/suggestions in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Hi - the evo is a very nice watch (I would ask for pics but I've so far failed to get round to putting any of mine on here, so I better not! :wink: ).

As far as your other potential watches go - my two-pence worth would be that they are all VERY different! I've tried on a Super Avenger in the past, but my personal opinion is that it is just far too big. I certainly haven't got small wrists (I've got a 46mm Navi World) but I personally think that the sheer amount of metal on the Super A is all a bit over the top. All a bit too trendy for it's own good! (Sorry if I'm offending any of your Super A owners out there!) The other thing is that it doesn't even have enormous water resistancy to use as an excuse for being so huge!

On the other hand the Omie Speedie tends to be at the other end of the size spectrum - 38mm-ish for some models. I've owned a couple of Seamasters and I do like Omie as a manufacturer, but I personally don't think they have the build or presence of a Breiters. If you can find one I might recommend the older (approx 2004) Omega Speedmaster Split Second / Rattrapante. It's a nice 42mm across, came with either a blue, silver or carbon fibre dial and is quite a rarity. Check this one - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Crono-OMEGA-Speed ... dZViewItem

Happy hunting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:31 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

thanks for the advice. i've taken some photos of my chrono, now i just need to find out how to upload them :?

well i took a look at the omega you suggested, but the dial is a little too busy for my taste.

as for the size of the SA. i'm a pretty big big guy, over 6' 2", so i think i can pull of the SA in terms of its sheer size. however, i feel a bit bipolar. i like the SA because of its presence, but i'm drawn to the omegas for their understatedness (if thats a word).

i mean the speedie is a bit lacking in presence, but it makes up for it with its rich history, and the sapphire sandwich version looks pretty snazzy, in my opinion.

but i think i'm leaning most towards the aqua terra right now, its has some presense and the very simple contrast of the white dial/rose gold hands is just so "purdy". anyone have any experience with that watch? know of any problems, issues, etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:45 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Use photobucket.com to link your photos to the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
rhequest wrote:
i think i'm leaning most towards the aqua terra right now, its has some presense and the very simple contrast of the white dial/rose gold hands is just so "purdy". anyone have any experience with that watch? know of any problems, issues, etc?

Not had experience of an aqua terra but a mate of mine owns an SMP with the current co-axial movement, and he swears by it. I think it beats at a lower rate than most quality autos, but it doesn't seem to affect it's smoothness and his is keeping fantastic time - gains 1 second per 24hrs. Apparently, due to the lower friction, they are only likely to need a service every 10 years or so, so it's likely to be a good buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
The SA is a nice big watch... great for a bit guy like you... a little big for a guy like me (5'7").. but the Omega's are nice too... I like the Omega Seamaster Chronos for their chunkiness, the regular Seamasters are nice and much thinner.. but after getting used to chunky B's, its hard to go back for me.