It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zenith Watches
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:29 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Admin,

Have you looked into these Zenith watches ? They are really cool. The company has been around since 1865 and I have heard that they now manufacture the movements for Rolex, I don't know if that's true or not because I heard it from a fellow watch freak at my tobacco shop. In any event they make some very cool watches. Sportback likes black steel so he may want to look at these because they have many variations of black steel with regular steel and gold. The models that we Ling Men would like are the Defy Classic and Defy Extreme. These watches are pretty expensive but the Defy Classic's are in the 8 to 10 K range and the Defy line is 46.5 MM, very substantial for Whole Ling afficionado's . It takes a little while to learn to navigate the website but what you need to do is find a model and then in the technical data section just MORE PICTURES and it will take you to an album of pictures .

[/img]

:fulllingclub:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
Hey accel,
I love Zenith watches... and yes, its true they used to manufacture the movement for the Rolex Daytona watch.. I believe the Daytonas up until around 2000 were using the Zenith El Primero movement... which beats at a fast 36,000vph... making it more accurate than typical 28,800vph movements.

I've been eyeing the Zenith Defy series ... especially the Rainbow diver... the Extremes are pricey!... my 'local' Breitling AD is also a Zenith dealer among other brands... so I see a lot of their stuff regularly.

The Defy Classics are not 46.5mm I dont think... the Extremes are, but the Classics are 42mm and 44mm IIRC. And remember not all use the El Primero movement.. some use the Elite Movement.. which is a very thin movement, but beats at the typical 28,800vph.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:00 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

Below is another question

http://picasaweb.google.com/acceldebt/R ... 0661680690

Post subject: Chrono Aero
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

Chek out the Defy Classic Chrono Aero it is 46.5 MM and it comes in a cool combination of black steel, gold and steel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:12 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

The Laguiole knives are made not far from where I live, in the Aveyron, and are obviously well known here in France - I didn't realise they'd got to the other side of the Atlantic - this is good - some of the rarer models are well worth investigating as they're pretty much entirely hand made.

Two useless bits of information for you - 1: the name Laguiole is actually pronounced "lag - i - ole" and 2: I'm an ex-pat brit living in France!

As for the Zenith DEFY - I've been looking at those on the web recently, and they're very nice watches I agree - but the prices are getting a bit silly - ok, so it's black titanium and carbon fibre etc. but still...seems a bit expensive for a simple bloke like me...

Oh acceldebt, check out my post about AUDI at Le Mans - you'll like the photo.

"Bon continuation"

Post subject: Knives
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:57 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sportback wrote,

"Oh acceldebt, check out my post about AUDI at Le Mans - you'll like the photo."

#1. Where do I find this mentioned above ?

#2. How is day 3 of being a Whole Ling Club member ?

Now remember Sportback, don't even look at one of the old Lings for at least 2 weeks and then when you put one on after that period of time I want a full report on the resulting "feel" of your old Lings !

Post subject: Re: Chrono Aero
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Liked in: 18 posts
acceldebt wrote:
Admin,

Chek out the Defy Classic Chrono Aero it is 46.5 MM and it comes in a cool combination of black steel, gold and steel

Ah yeah.. The Open heart and the Chrono Aero are 46.5mm. I was thinking about the other two.. the power reserve and the other one with the small seconds. I really like the Open Heart one.. I'm not sure about the rainbow subdials on the Chrono Aero ya know?

Laguiole knives.. I've bought a few in my time but am not that much of a collector.. I do have a couple of Opinels though! I picked them up in France when I was visiting.

I LOVE Roger Dubuis watches with the "Excalibur" case... they are amazing looking watches, and nice and big at 45mm. According to my Watch annual none of the models come in anything but Croc/Reptile bands except the ladies ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:07 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sorry acceldebt, the post is in the "0ff topic" part of the forum - to go to it click here

As to the Bentley, it's a beautiful timepiece and I seem to catch myself simply admiring it every, oh let's say 30 seconds or so!!

Seriously, in terms of the sheer size, there is no problem at all as despite the diameter, the weight doesn't seem in proportion, as it would be with the Chronomat for example. The Chronomat is solid and fairly heavy, but the Bentley doesn't seem any heavier despite the increased size.

I reduced the bracelet by one link which A: makes it fit my wrist (!) and also B: balances the clasp in relation to the watch itself. It rides very well on my wrist, and despite having to take it off for mundane things like 'sleeping' etc. I'm enjoying the experience...

As to the Avenger Skyland 'Blacksteel' - yes I agree with your 'backwoods' description but I have a thing about black - as can be seen on other posts, I own black cameras, I drive a black car, even my cell is black! I just fancied an all-black watch. I can see now that the advanced hype was slightly misleading in that the black isn't really BLACK as with the Zenith, but a somewhat watered-down shade...and I'm not so sure I'm as keen. In any case I'll add the watch to the collection...

Post subject: Zenith
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:25 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Admin,

Not all of the Chrono Aero models have the rainbow subdial. If you go to the Zenith site they make a Chrono Aero that is black and gold without the rainbow deal, I don't like that either. On the Roger Dubuis site they don't display a model of the Roger Dubuis with a steel bracelet when you scroll through the available models but one of the pictures that comes up on the left side shows a guy wearing one with a steel bracelet and it looks really cool with that 3rd attachment in the middle of the bracelet where it joins the watch. I saw one Roger Dubuis on Ebay for $52,000 that was a rare model that was one of 28 and it was quite impressive. I won't be venturing off into Zenith land anytime soon because I want an all gold Bentley first so I think we should put pressure on Sportback to get one. He likes that black steel look so he would be a good candidate to be the guy to get the first one and let us all know how it is.

Post subject: Black
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:11 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Sportback,

I have the same obsession with BLACK things. When I was a kid my mother thought there was something wrong with me because I liked black so much, so I'm right with you on that subject. As for the Bentley and removing a link a just did that a few weeks ago and it is the fourth time I have removed a link from my Lings. It was a nerve wracking experience as always because until 2 weeks ago when I watched the jeweler that removed a link in Naviman's Navitimer I didn't realize that if you detach the bracelet from the clasp so you have the ability to lay it down flat to line up the links it's much easier. All 4 times that I have removed a link it was easy to get the thing apart but putting it back together again is another story. When you detach it from the clasp it's easy because you can lay it down, line up the links and just slide the pins back in. That's great news about the Bentley and how you are being amused every 30 seconds. These things are definitely the most satisfying of the Lings I won't rest until I get the all gold one. I haven't decided which combination I would like the best yet but I'm leaning towards a Rose Gold one. They don't offer the Motors edition in Rose Gold only Yellow Gold so I may end up getting a yellow Gold one even though I really like that Rose Gold. They make the Navitimer World in RED Gold and they have one at one of our local dealers. The thing is absolutely stunning