Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IWC BP Detailed Review
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
In my earlier review of the IWC Big Engineer, I called the Big Pilot the flag ship of the IWC brand, and with good reason. There are more expensive, technically advanced models but the BP was universally accepted as the quintessential modern interpretation of the original B-Uhrn, and considering how many others there are that is saying something!

I also said I could not justify owning both the BI and BP due to the similarities and cost, and that I preferred the BI due to the more appealing case design, complex engineering, and display back but the BP was still on the mind and I just had to finally cave in, I am weak that way but it is great to have these two power reserve monsters united.

I have decided to do pictorial reviews of all my watches, new and previously acquired. I certainly enjoy the ones other people post and hope this will serve as a guide for others both in terms of the pictures and information, I will think of these as an opportunity for me and you to learn about these watches and a chance for me to practice my second language, English. Please bear with me.

A quick note, the information in this review has been collected from printed and online publications, many thanks to the original authors/researchers.

History and beginnings
As Breitling enthusiasts, or at least appreciators, I think it is safe to say that we all have something for aviation and military heritage, as well as the obvious horological inclination. Some of you lucky bastards out there are pilots, either civilian or military, amateur or professional, but I am content riding the commercial planes, playing the simulation games, and wearing the watches.

There are a number of fascinating and iconic military watches, the Original Breitling Navitimer, the 1950 Panerai Luminor, and the Rolex Milsub and others, but my current favorite has to be the German B-Uhren.

The first ever instance of the Navigation instrument was a collaboration effort between Lt. Commander Weems and Longines, that’s right, Longines created the precedence to the B-Uhren! It was 48mm and had a center seconds dial and production started somewhere around 1929 (if the patent is any indication at least)

I was surprised Longines did not have their own homage; further research shows that they indeed have a B-Uhren themed watch in the form of the Longines Weems, it just did not look that similar to the sea of other clones and replicas (or replikas as the case may be) but rather paid an understated nod to the man who started it all and naming it after him.

The Longines Weems

Modern

Vintage

By the time WWII broke out in September 1939, The German Luftwaffe was one of the strongest, most doctrinally advanced and most battle-experienced air forces in the world. Officially unveiled in 1935, in violation of the Treaty of Versailles, its purpose was to support Adolf Hitler's Blitzkrieg across Europe. The aircraft that were to serve in the Luftwaffe were of a new age and far superior to that of most other nations in the 1930s. Types like the Junkers Ju 87 Stuka and Messerschmitt Bf 109 came to symbolize German aerial might. These planes had become an essential and tremendously effective wartime weapon, and mass production of the planes, armaments, and navigations tools had started. Of the most essential navigation tools where the accurate, anti magnetic, chronometer grade watches the German Luftwaffe demanded. The main supplier, A. Lange and Sohne, simply could not produce enough quantities so four other companies where contracted. They are: International Watch Company, Laco, Stowa and Wempe.

The watches where initially called “Beobachtungs-uhr” which literally meant observation watch, and the common name, the B- Uhren, has been directly derived from that term even though the watch was also called a navigation watch and a pilot watch. The Weems-Longines watch was obviously a strong inspiration.

The initial 1200 produced in 1942 where commissioned to the German Luftwaffe and British Deck Officers.

The basic requirements design wise are compiled here:

1- 55mm Diameter. Most high quality pocket watch movements of the time where in excess of 44mm so any watches that incorporated those movements had to be >50mm. This was very desirable as the large size would increase visibility as the pilots had to deal with varied weather conditions and thick goggles.

2- Arabic numerals (in contrast to the Romans commonly used at the time). As early western mathematicians had studied the works of Al-Khawarizmi, Al kindi, and other Arabic mathematicians they came to adopt the numeric and notational system, while the rest of the society still used Roman numerals, especially the literary community, and thus the Arabic numerals where associated with scientific and purposeful endeavors while the Roman numeral systems had a more romantic and whimsical appeal. Reading the time in Arabic numeration would translate more directly to the mathematic equations of navigators. To this day instrument watches still use Arabics while dress watches might use Romans or maybe indices. This is hardly a rule but a generalization.

3- The use of central seconds time. Obviously for exact measurements, The officers would listen in to the minute beeps on their radios to periodically readjust the timing on their watches as minute differences in time could lead to large miscalculation in fuel consumption or flight time and could literally be a matter of life or death.

4- Large “onion” crown. As the pilots had to put up with large gloves and timing was everything, the crown had to be usable at a seconds notice so the crown was designed to be large and with rivets for an enhanced grip.

5- Anti Magnetic case. Soft iron shielding would be used to ensure accuracy even if the watch had been subjected to a magnetic field, common for military pilots.

6- Hack capable movement, which is to say a movement that stops when the crown is pulled. Again to allow for exact measuring and resetting of time.

7- Most believe the characteristic triangle on the dial was designed to immediately assign the topmost orientation during night flight, although that is true it is not the sole purpose. it was also used as a solar compass to find the earth’s true north in conjunction with sextants, compass and data charts

8- Buffalo strap, super long to allow for wearing over thick flight jackets riveted to allow for size adjustment.

The military issue of the original B-Uhren

To this day no single company can claim sole ownership of the design, as it was the result of a medley of circumstances and requirements and produced by several firms.

In Action:

Right: German Navigator uses his navigation watch to calculate flight consumption.
Left: German officers synchronizing their B-Uhrens prior to take off.

Laco also made an exact replication of the original, down to the 55mm diameter. Unwearable but collectable. Not unlike the 60mm Panerai Egiziano.
Image found via Google Image Search, apologies to owner for borrowing without consent but the image was not attached with any information.

Stowa is another brand that makes excellent Pilots, though they are a bit small for my tastes. Steinhart is a small German firm that makes excellent homage to the B-Uhren and has very good prices, I recommend you check them out.

But when all is said and done, the most perfectly conceived, masterfully engineered, and supremely built of all the watches that are inspired by the B-Uhrn, is without a doubt the renowned IWC Big Pilot.

If you go back to the list of the original B-uhren specs, you will notice that IWC followed the original criteria to the T. Only doing away with the unattractive central seconds counter (Thank God!!) and diminishing the size to a civil 46mm. The remaining power reserve is elegantly portrayed in the subdial.

The IWC Big pilot has been outfitted with the spectacular caliber 51111, a 42 jewel 8.5 day power reserve behemoth measuring in at and producing 21,600 vibrations per hour. Although the movement has a rating of over 8.5 days, an ingenious mechanism stops the watch when it has 36 hours remaining to prevent the unavoidable decrease in torque as the mainspring winds down and the resultant significant decrease in accuracy. Hence the 7 day power indicator on the dial.

The other main feature of the Calibre 51111 movement is the much touted Pellaton Winding System, originally created by the IWC Technical Director, Albert Pellaton in the 1940's. In contrast to standard watch design, the movement of the rotor is not transmitted to a wheel train via a gear system but through a cam which increases the durability of the rotor wheel.

The caliber shows signs of expert craftsmanship and is nicely decorated; the gold engraving on the rotor is a really nice touch.
Due to the soft iron case back and my reluctance to open this prized watch up, here are some pictures from the identical movement from my IWC Big Inge.

The case itself is in classical B-Uhr design and the finishing and treatment is superb as is to be expected from IWC. Its 46mm size is extremely attractive yet comfortable and the 15mm height, due to the soft iron cage produced a happy coincidence as it prevents the beautiful and large diamond shaped crown from digging into your gloveless hand when bent backwards. I could wax lyrical about its craftsmanship and design but I will spare you and they do say a picture is worth a thousand words.
The dial, with its glossy black sheen, crisp white Arabic numerals, and striking white hands is extremely attractive yet purposeful. I have to say I love the fact that they changed the date wheel to black, raised the triangle marker, and minimized the minute marker size. This is obviously an attempt to clean up the dial and unify the surface, which works amazingly well! I just wish they had not added the little bit of red on the power reserve indicator; it is too sporty and lively for a somber yet elegant watch derived from a war instrument and rubs against the grain so to speak. In fact that has to be my only complaint on an otherwise perfect dial and something I can definitely live with.

This is not the first B-Uhr reincarnation IWC attempted; in fact IWC can be credited with the reintroduction of the B-Uhr to the civilian watch market. Their first attempts where much smaller watches with movements sourced from JLC, ETA, and later their inhouse 31110 movement. The slow and steady improvement and many revitalizations and reinventing in their lineup has finally resulted in the IWC BP, a thoroughly thought out, masterfully engineered and executed modern interpretation of the B-Uhren and in my opinion the undeniable zenith of that legacy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:28 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 0 post
Great little write up mate. Some cool pictures to boot. :)

The 5004 is such an amazing watch - wear it well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Jealous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:19 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Want to wait for the LE Steinhart even more now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Good read, thanks for posting, and congrats on the BP. Such a great watch, and it looks just right on your wrist.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:16 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
:bow:

Great review Altair and amazingly well written.

Oh yeah, and the watch is OK :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:02 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 74 posts
Great review and interesting history Altair. I wondered what B-Uhren was short for.
I was all set to purchase IWC's chrono pilot (BP's little brother :lol: ) , when you came up with the Steinhart LE2 which was very close to the IWC design, but larger at 44mm (and less cost). Still looking forward to its delivery.

Thanks for the informative review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:49 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Another great pick up Altair, and a great review too of a great watch. :thumbsup:

Oh and your pictures are INFINITELY better than any I've ever taken of my BP! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

That was an enjoyable and informative read.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:56 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Kodiak wrote:
Great review and interesting history Altair. I wondered what B-Uhren was short for.
I was all set to purchase IWC's chrono pilot (BP's little brother :lol: ) , when you came up with the Steinhart LE2 which was very close to the IWC design, but larger at 44mm (and less cost). Still looking forward to its delivery.

Thanks for the informative review.

You know I agree entirely Kodiak. If the LE 2 falls over then the first thing I'm going to do is get the IWC's pilot chrono 3717. The two are remarkably similar in many ways.

I also wondered what B-Uhren stood for.

Congratulations Altair (I've been saying that a lot lately and for good reason :D ). I really enjoyed the history, thanks for taking the time; truly fascinating stuff. That really is a simple yet elegant watch that looks great and suits you perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Thank you all, really am enjoying this watch!

Roffensian wrote:
:bow:

Great review Altair and amazingly well written.

Oh yeah, and the watch is OK :lol:

Wow, coming from Roff the Proff that is high praise indeed! Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Great review and the pictures are amazing.

My desire for a pilot's watch is growing by the second.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:07 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Altair, that was a great write-up. But I disagree strongly on one small point. I love the touches of red in the power reserve subdial. I think it really adds a little distinction to the dial (which is nearly perfect anyway). :) But that's my own biased opinion. :wink:

Steve

Breitling: Steelfish, Skyland
IWC: Big Pilot, Ingenieur
Omega: Planet Ocean

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

drax wrote:
Altair, that was a great write-up. But I disagree strongly on one small point. I love the touches of red in the power reserve subdial.

i like the red also, i guess most aviation traditionalists prefer all white and the iwc heads prefer the 5002 :). i'm a big iwc fan, i love the 5004...it looks alot more modern and cooler than the 5002. been working out and do curls like crazy but still can't pull it off :violin: