Wild Ling, You Make my Heart Sing!

Liked in: 0 post
ravenloff wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Mik@ wrote:
Conus :?:

Stands for "Continental USA"

I have been wondering about that one for a while! :D
What a great idea it was to put something like this together.
It really helps people like me who love to hang around, but know very little. :oops:

[/pest alert] to be completely accurate, it refers to 'contiguous United States' as in only the lower 48 since Alaska is connected to North America.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:41 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
RJRJRJ wrote:
[/pest alert] to be completely accurate, it refers to 'contiguous United States' as in only the lower 48 since Alaska is connected to North America.

Which is what I put in the sitcky thread. :nana:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:33 pm 

Roffensian wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

Aaaah...I see it now...but it appears to say "continental" to me :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
RJRJRJ wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

:yeahthat :poke: "Contiguous" should be the correct term as it excludes Alaska -- which is how most UPS/FEDEX etc rates are calculated. (Alaska & Hawaii always cost a freight premium nightmare when I had my eBay stores...)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:28 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
A little off-topic, but I've never understood why some people insist on Conus when selling items and won't even consider shipping abroad, even when the buyer offers to pay the additional expense. I've missed out on a few good items (including watches) in the past simply because the seller won't even entertain the idea of shipping outside of the US, even though I've offered to pay all shipping costs. :huh Sure, I understand that international shipping obviously costs more (it does for me whenever I ship stuff abroad), but if the buyer is prepared to pick up teh shipping tab then I really don't understand the big deal. :? Can anyone based Stateside enlighten me of this one?

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:49 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Driver8 wrote:
A little off-topic, but I've never understood why some people insist on Conus when selling items and won't even consider shipping abroad, even when the buyer offers to pay the additional expense. I've missed out on a few good items (including watches) in the past simply because the seller won't even entertain the idea of shipping outside of the US, even though I've offered to pay all shipping costs. :huh Sure, I understand that international shipping obviously costs more (it does for me whenever I ship stuff abroad), but if the buyer is prepared to pick up teh shipping tab then I really don't understand the big deal. :? Can anyone based Stateside enlighten me of this one?
A couple years back it's because PayPal seller protection (yes, an oxymoron I know...), will NOT cover outside CONUS sale/delivery. Neither will Fedex/UPS insurance, nor will US-based third-party internet-insurance companies like U-Pic etc. Then there is the matter of tracking, which is usually limited to CONUS only. And if you're a victim of fraud, there really is ZERO recourse for international transactions.

Perhaps things have changed, now that global internet retail/transactions are so prevalent?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:40 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

RJRJRJ wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
RJRJRJ wrote:

Oops, didn't even realise I had made that slip of the mental muscle - I read it as contiguous, so not sure what that says!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:42 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Driver8 wrote:

I have had excuses around 'too much paperwork'.

It's the same customs declaration used everywhere else in the world as far as I know.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:38 am 

Driver8 wrote:

The reasons have been mentioned above, but if the payment is by wire and the buyer assumes all risk, its not a big deal since the buyer cannot do a chargeback if the item gets lost or stolen.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:12 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Roffensian wrote:
Oops, didn't even realise I had made that slip of the mental muscle - I read it as contiguous, so not sure what that says!

Uhmm, Roff, REALLY not trying your patience or wanting to be in your bad graces here... but there's an extraneous "l" after "Contiguous" in the Conus description... :nutkick: :rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
H2F wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
A couple years back it's because PayPal seller protection (yes, an oxymoron I know...), will NOT cover outside CONUS sale/delivery. Neither will Fedex/UPS insurance, nor will US-based third-party internet-insurance companies like U-Pic etc. Then there is the matter of tracking, which is usually limited to CONUS only. And if you're a victim of fraud, there really is ZERO recourse for international transactions.

Perhaps things have changed, now that global internet retail/transactions are so prevalent?

Thanks for the info - most appreciated. :thumbsup:

Strange that with regards to tracking the UK seems to be better than the US. :shock: I can have stuff tracked door-to-door for most countries around the world. Insurance, especially for watches, is always an issue but then it is domestically too. If it's tracked and signed for then that's about the best you can do.

Anyway, thanks again. :D

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:04 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

H2F wrote:
Roffensian wrote:

Uhmm, Roff, REALLY not trying your patience or wanting to be in your bad graces here... but there's an extraneous "l" after "Contiguous" in the Conus description... :nutkick: :rofl:

No there isn't :wink: