It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Big Pilot Accuracy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:38 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
Driver,

I read with some distress, in your response to the Pam/DSSD issue, that you're having accuracy problems with your BP. Indeed, I find this most distressing, since I've all but committed myself to getting one in the next couple months.

When you first purchased your Big Pilot, you were aglow with praise for the great piece. Has this accuracy problem soured you on the watch altogether, or have you made peace with its idiosyncracies? Just how far off is it on a daily basis? Do you plan to have it checked out? If you had it to do all over again, would you still go ahead and buy it or look elsewhere?

Don't worry, a few seconds off a day would not dissuade me from buying one. It's classic beauty overrides any other issue. I value your opinion, so I'd be curious to hear your views. :)

Steve

Post subject: Re: Big Pilot Accuracy
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:24 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

i had the portuguese auto...same movement. normally these can be +7-10sec/day. most fall in there imo, of course some can be 1-3sec fast a day but the worse i read was around 20sec. mine was +12/+12.5. i'm not into all that COSC stuff but was a bit annoyed for sure (since it has a 7 day PR so by the time it dies watch was usually +130 8) ).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:55 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
drax wrote:
Driver,

I read with some distress, in your response to the Pam/DSSD issue, that you're having accuracy problems with your BP. Indeed, I find this most distressing, since I've all but committed myself to getting one in the next couple months.

When you first purchased your Big Pilot, you were aglow with praise for the great piece. Has this accuracy problem soured you on the watch altogether, or have you made peace with its idiosyncracies? Just how far off is it on a daily basis? Do you plan to have it checked out? If you had it to do all over again, would you still go ahead and buy it or look elsewhere?

Don't worry, a few seconds off a day would not dissuade me from buying one. It's classic beauty overrides any other issue. I value your opinion, so I'd be curious to hear your views. :)

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes when I first got it, it's timekeeping was generally really good, although there was a definite difference between when the watch was fully wound as opposed to when it was at lower reserve (an isochronism problem). To start off with this didn't really bother me as at both ends of the "power reserve spectrum" it was still within the IWC tolerance of 0/+7 secs a day, but then it started to get a bit worse. Not a clue why, but that's how it was. At it's worst (also at lower power reserve) it was around 20 seconds fast per day! :shock: On a watch costing 8.5K GBP, that's not acceptable in my book.

So off it went to IWC....... where, despite me providing a full breakdown of the timekeeping over a couple of weeks and at various power levels, they seemed wholey unable to fix it. Granted, it was better that before but still not within the 0/+7 seconds IWC "guarantee". Oh and they managed to scratch the case too!!!!! :evil: So back it went again. And when it was returned it was actually marginally worse than after the first regulation :shock: , but at least the scratches were removed. As the timekeeping was still not within 0/+7 I ended up sending it back a 3rd time, and when it returned (with an apology for all the hassle from IWC) it was better than the 2nd regulation, but still gains fractionally outside of the approved tolerance. IWC insist that there's no problem with the movement (or the design), but then again I wouldn't expect them to pan one of their flagship models! Personally I think that the relative newness of the movement, plus low beat rate just makes it hard to regulate. I can live with how it is now, but more than 10 secs a day would be way too much.

That said, I still absolutely love it as a watch, but I do worry about IWC's ability to fix problems these days, especially since becoming part of the Richemont Group. (I have heard of similar issues with Panerai.... who are also owned by Richemont). Hmmmmmm......

In summary, I'd say it's still an amazing watch to buy and own, but the ability of IWC to fix issues is kind of making me question if I'd want to own another IWC. Just my personal opinion of course.

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:27 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Driver8 wrote:
drax wrote:
Driver,

Steve

Hey Steve,

Yes when I first got it, it's timekeeping was generally really good, although there was a definite difference between when the watch was fully wound as opposed to when it was at lower reserve (an isochronism problem). To start off with this didn't really bother me as at both ends of the "power reserve spectrum" it was still within the IWC tolerance of 0/+7 secs a day, but then it started to get a bit worse. Not a clue why, but that's how it was. At it's worst (also at lower power reserve) it was around 20 seconds fast per day! :shock: On a watch costing 8.5K GBP, that's not acceptable in my book.

So off it went to IWC....... where, despite me providing a full breakdown of the timekeeping over a couple of weeks and at various power levels, they seemed wholey unable to fix it. Granted, it was better that before but still not within the 0/+7 seconds IWC "guarantee". Oh and they managed to scratch the case too!!!!! :evil: So back it went again. And when it was returned it was actually marginally worse than after the first regulation :shock: , but at least the scratches were removed. As the timekeeping was still not within 0/+7 I ended up sending it back a 3rd time, and when it returned (with an apology for all the hassle from IWC) it was better than the 2nd regulation, but still gains fractionally outside of the approved tolerance. IWC insist that there's no problem with the movement (or the design), but then again I wouldn't expect them to pan one of their flagship models! Personally I think that the relative newness of the movement, plus low beat rate just makes it hard to regulate. I can live with how it is now, but more than 10 secs a day would be way too much.

That said, I still absolutely love it as a watch, but I do worry about IWC's ability to fix problems these days, especially since becoming part of the Richemont Group. (I have heard of similar issues with Panerai.... who are also owned by Richemont). Hmmmmmm......

In summary, I'd say it's still an amazing watch to buy and own, but the ability of IWC to fix issues is kind of making me question if I'd want to own another IWC. Just my personal opinion of course.

Driver,

Thanks for your response -- and your frankness. I'm truly sorry you've had to go through all that hassle. You know, the Big Pilot has been my grail watch since I first saw one eight years ago. I never thought I'd shell out such a large chunk of cash for a watch, but I'm on the verge of doing so... :shock: I just want to be sure that I'm not making some horrible mistake.

I seldom wear a watch more than a week before switching to another. So if my watch gains or loses a few seconds a day, I won't notice -- or care. Of course, if there's a huge discrepancy, It will bother me and I'll have the matter looked into.

Right now I'm alternating between the Ingenieur and the Skyland. Both keep very good time, and I've had no problem with either piece. I've had really good luck with the Inge, which is why I wouldn't hesitate buying another IWC.

So, with hand shaking and sweating, I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get my grail watch some time this spring. :wink: I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for your input. :)

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Steve, if you like the BP (which you clearly do!), I'd definitely suggest getting one. It is without a doubt, the finest finished watch I've ever owned. The attention to detail on it is superb and it's a truly impressive piece. For absolute perfection IMHO I'd like it to have had the 5002 dial and hands, but the 5002 came with an even slower beating movement, so the 5004 is the one to have (unless you're prepared to pay STUPID money for a 5002 transitional, which has the 5002 dial, but the 5004 movement).

When you get yours, if you do find it runs a little fast, then hopefully IWC where you are will be better at regulating it than they were for me in the UK. But that failing, is not a failing on the part of the watch, and in that respect it's a fantastic piece.

Here's a old pic to further whet your appetite :wink: -

Site Moderator