It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:13 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
Hi All,

I just registered here so i guess i should introduce myself :D

As said in the subject, i live in The Netherlands and i registered because i'm considering to buy a Breitling watch but i'm not sure yet. I do not consider myself to be a watch-collector but i think watch-enthusiast is the correct term. I like watches, especially watches that have something special.

One of the reasons i'm not completely sure to buy a Breitling is that i really like the Cockpit B50 and i read a lot of problems with that specific model over here. Is it fair to expect Breitling to somehow notify us when they solved all the issues ?
Last weekend i also went to the local AD to see the watch for real the first time and it was actually quite different than i expected. I somehow expected all metal to be polished, but if i'm correct it seems brushed to me which makes quite a difference in appearance :roll:
One other question that keeps popping up is this: Do you ever get negative responses to your Breitling(s) and their value ?

Thank you for reading my intro, i hope you'll be able to help me. If you think it's better if i place my questions in separate topics just let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:27 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource. I wouldn't expect Breitling to advise when they consider the B50 issues resolved, they hablvent publicly acknowledged a fundament problem with the design / manufacturing yet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:21 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Hi and welcome. I don't get any comments on my Breitlings at all. Most people I know couldn't give a toss what watch I wear.

As for value, no one I know (except for friends in the watch business) thinks spending anymore than say $300 is a sane proposition on a watch. They advise my wife to have me checked out as a Nutcase for spending so much. Her retort is that it keeps me off the streets late at night.

Your enthusiasm will lead to obsession eventually, so get ready to indulge. Enjoy the experience of buying and owning, but remember, you can't stop at one.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thanks for your answers.

I have to admit i also have to get used to the idea of spending a few 1000's on a watch, i never did that before. However, one of my wishes is to own a luxury watch at some time, and i guess it comes at a luxury price to live up to that wish :D

And indeed, it may not stop at one, looking at the mechanical watches the Navitimer World also looks very appealing to me :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:30 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Yep. You just can't stop at one. Enjoy.

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:11 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I got a bit disappointed while reading this topic describing problems with a recently bought B50: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58419

To (hopefully) take away my doubts i thought it might be a good idea to try to contact Breitling to see if they have any information about the problems and when they expect them to be solved. Since Breitling only lists a post address on their site contacting an AD was my next best option. So i sent an email to a local AD and they where quick with their reply, they said they're unaware of any problems with the B50. That seems quite unlikely in my opinion, so if anything that made my doubts even bigger ... :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:29 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
pa4wdh wrote:
i sent an email to a local AD and they where quick with their reply, they said they're unaware of any problems with the B50.

! Lol, I really did.

Being an AD they're bound to say that really aren't they - esp in writing. A salesman with whom you had a good relationship might, in-store, lowering his/her voice, tell you that there had been some issues with the new watch and that it might pay to wait a bit. But not in an email which might get them into trouble.

Reading the posts on here (as you are) is your best bet. There have been some recent purchasers who report good behaviour from their B50s, which is encouraging. If it were me I would try to ensure that I got one on order from the factory rather than an earlier issue which had sat in-store.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:30 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
well, you can always choose to ignore reality, psychiatrists call it denial.
B50 seems to be very, very close to a 100%! failure rate, two of all the owners on fora and fb have not (yet) reported problems.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:39 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I'll sure keep reading here, to me this is the only source of unbiased information on the B50 issues.
I didn't expect any details in the email from the AD, and i understand they're limited in what they are allowed to say. However, if it's all solved i guess there's nothing wrong with acknowledging they've been there and telling they're solved. Any other answer reads as "they're still there" to me :roll: