It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Longtime lurker
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Hi all,

After lurking on the forums for quite a while, decided to register a while back and started off with asking for help.
Received fast and accurate answers at the time, for which I am still grateful.

Thought I'd say "Hi" and share a bit from my Breitling history... I am a declared Omega fan and was a bit torn regarding Breitlings a while back, thinking that the name increased the price-tag a bit too much. But then again, I saw a great deal of Chronomats with 7750's around me and started liking the model; the color combinations of the subdials/dials appealed to me somewhat.
Having some nice watches already (Omegas mostly), and dedicating quite a bit of time and effort to refining my collection through rapid "sale-purchase" cycles, I figured I can start owning some Breitlings as well. After all, there had to be something about these watches, since so many praised them!

Decided on the first Breitling acquisition almost instantly upon finding it; a Callisto Chronograph with a missing pusher and a non-functional UTC module. The price, however, was fine, and I knew I could source the missing pusher. The module, however, needed a little more than just a new battery, so it was left alone to the day.

My second purchase celebrated a career step at the beginning of 2014; my love for the Chronomat series and my hate for "bling" and "shiny" finally met in a special edition - the Breitling Chronomat Serie Speciale Blackbird A13353. The brushed aspect still leaves some people puzzled, thinking something is wrong with the watch :) Got it as a complete package, at a fair price.

The guy I purchased it from had a 46mm Heritage on his wrist, and even though I knew the model from photos, seeing one in person made a nice impression on me (it was the copper dial version).
This led to the next B...
Shortly afterwards, I found a very nice example of the Breitling Superocean Heritage Chrono A23370 at an attractive price, still under warranty. Got it in a split second decision after missing out on a Montbrillant, and don't regret it to the day! The mesh bracelet is not getting love from most of my friends and family, but I love it. Just not that popular this side of the world I guess...

But, I always wanted a Navitimer... It was my love all along, just out of my reach for quite some time. Opportunity struck and I finally realized my dream of owning one, shortly after getting the SOH Chrono! The Navi A23322, a nice alternative to the 7750-powered variety.

-----------

So there you have it. I started off hating the brand, hating large watches, then loving it and loving large watches. I simply can't wear anything below 38mm any longer... And for sure Breitlings will make up at least 30-40% of my entire collection from now on!

Thank you again for all the good knowledge and great suggestions I found on this forum while lurking around. Hopefully I can contribute in time with my very own advice, but for now I will just stick around and learn some more.

Post subject: Re: Longtime lurker
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:03 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:57 pm 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 1005 posts
Welcome to the forum! Nice well rounded collection you have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:24 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 809 posts
Welcome! Great collection. Nice variety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:53 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
lovely collection, welcome !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Thank you for the nice words and welcome!
BS was a good guide in building the small Breitling herd :) Especially the lovely Navitimer pictures I could find all over the place.
However, noticed the SOH 44 chrono doesnt't really get all the love around here. I for one love the clean white dial, plus, I like the blue bezel combo.

Looking for a Transocean Unitime Chrono as the next addition, after raising the funds (so far haven't seen so many examples around the sales corners), maybe the owners are keeping them in their collections?