It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:42 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Hi all,

New to this forum and like to say hello. There is plenty of good information found here....and plenty of temptation!

I am going to be the proud owner of a 2013 Breitling Chronomat 44 in two tone steel and gold with the blue dial on Monday. I am paying just over 55% of the new cost, here in the UK. The watch wlil still have over 4 years left on its warranty to give me peace of mind. I used to own a Breitling SA blacksteel. This was my last proper watch and sold it to help fund a motorcycle trip up around the arctic circle. That was a great watch but even though I really tried to look after it, it soon showed signs of wear.
I have owned in the past a Rolex Seadweller, Omega moon watch, IWC Ingeniuer, Panerai 87. All great watches which I wish I still had, but all came and went to fund my bikes. I have now officially hanged up my helmet and will no longer be riding. The bike is sold and so i can now concentrate on getting a few watches.
I have always loved the Blackbird - its just right, and I am so tempted to get one now that the used market is within reach. I have gone for the Chronomat because I think I am getting a bargain ( what do you think ). I have never had a bling watch before. Do you guys think i am making the right choice, or would you go for the Blackbird and with the money saved look to het a second watch.

Last edited by wildy on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Newbie
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:54 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I've owned the blackbird and the chronomat 44 and I've since sold the chronomat and the blackbird is still one of my faves. That's just my personal opinion though so you should buy whichever one you personally prefer.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:00 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:28 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
BB was the first watch that got me interested when I was browsing for my first luxury watch, due to the big date. However it just didn't look that good on my wrist when I tried on and it looks much better on photo IMO. I also tried Avenger but still didn't felt perfect. It was only later on when a staff introduced me to the Chronomat 44 that I tried on, I didn't pay attention to it before as I was looking into a more rugged looking watch. After trying it on I was surprised that it looks very nice on the wrist, in fact nicer than if you just browse it from the display window. Slowly I began to appreciate the details that was bestowed on the watch, the sleek design that makes it rugged and elegant at the same time, the way it looks "molded" on the wrist. The versatility is unparallel IMO. That was when I spent the next few mths browsing forums and ended up reading a lot of negative reviews especially from this forum. I then tried to go for Rolex since it's safer not polarizing, but end up I couldn't convince myself and still prefers the Chronomat 44. That was when I knew it was the dream watch I wanted and jumped on it. No regrets ever since still getting the most wrist time.

No right or wrong when it comes to watches as tastes are personal. The best way is always to try it on yr wrist. I personally don't like gold on the Chronomat because it adds unnecessary bling and reduces the versatility. I prefer gold on a plain looking watch. But as mentioned as long as you like it it's all that matters.

It seems like you got the watch simply because you felt it was a bargain but you are now hesitating. This means that you don't really love the Chronomat 44 after all and there is a high chance that you will regret your purchase eventually and flip it to fund the BB. You should get what you really like. Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:41 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 28 posts
Welcome to the forum. I agree with Chronomat01LE about the Chronomat 44 when he's saying you are probably buying it because you can get a good deal. I always say you need to buy with what you fell in love with. You'll regret it otherwise...