Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hello and thoughts....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello all.... New to forum. Thinking of making the dive into a Bentley MKVI.... Otherwise, a NoS Chrono-cockpit. Thoughts??? Thanks, Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:45 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Welcome to BS!

It really comes down to personal tastes.. what kind of watch are you after?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:50 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 1 post
:welcome:

Enjoy your time here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Welcome to BreitlingSource. No one can tell you which watch is right for you - just go try some on and see which one 'speaks' to you.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:41 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Thanks all... The big problem is, I really like ALL of them. (I mean, who wouldn't right??) anyway, I do like both equally and I guess what I should have really made the point to ask is, which one (in fact AND opinion) is a more wearable, longer lasting, more (a-hem) "durable" movement?? I am a musician and really, REALLY wear my watches hard.... Which of the two (narrowed it down) is more suited to be really USED!????? I mean, you buy a car to drive it right?? Thoughts are VERY welcome! Thanks again....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:52 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

PRS Mike wrote:
Thanks all... The big problem is, I really like ALL of them. (I mean, who wouldn't right??) anyway, I do like both equally and I guess what I should have really made the point to ask is, which one (in fact AND opinion) is a more wearable, longer lasting, more (a-hem) "durable" movement?? I am a musician and really, REALLY wear my watches hard.... Which of the two (narrowed it down) is more suited to be really USED!????? I mean, you buy a car to drive it right?? Thoughts are VERY welcome! Thanks again....

Either of them are going to take a beating, the Mark VI has a platinum bezel, so bear that in mind (although it's close to stainless steel in terms of hardness). Depending on the type of music that you are playing, a mechanical watch may not be the best bet - if you are a drummer for a speed metal band that plays 200 plus gigs a year then I would wear a Casio on stage!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:12 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

LoL... No speed metal.... (and unfortunately) no more 200 gigs a year..... BUT, sometimes the drums and other times, (mostly) a guitar player. I use and wear my watch. A LOT.... so again, my concern was with clutches slipping, bracelets and clasps pulling/ loosening / bending / etc..... Again, wear and tear but certainly not abused. And as far as a casio, at LEAST give me the courtesy of an Invicta! Miyoto movement = Honda Accord.... what's the difference??? :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:58 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

PRS Mike wrote:
LoL... No speed metal.... (and unfortunately) no more 200 gigs a year..... BUT, sometimes the drums and other times, (mostly) a guitar player. I use and wear my watch. A LOT.... so again, my concern was with clutches slipping, bracelets and clasps pulling/ loosening / bending / etc..... Again, wear and tear but certainly not abused. And as far as a casio, at LEAST give me the courtesy of an Invicta! Miyoto movement = Honda Accord.... what's the difference??? :)

Not going to help you if you use language like Invicta - Casio kicks Invicta's a$$, heck any brand that you have ever heard of kicks Invicta's a$$. :nono: :wink:

We have one guy here who plays a fair amount (Sharkmouth) and doesn't wear a decent watch for that, but I think that's because of the dive bars he plays :lol: I don't do anything regularly any more but still jam with some friends when we have all had enough beers to not realize how bad we are and don't worry about it. You'll be fine with either of these. Guitar really isn't an issue, especially if the watch is on the fingerboard arm and while drumming is going to cause more shaking the only real issue would be if you bash it against tensioning bolts or similar.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 18 posts
Roffensian wrote:

Not going to help you if you use language like Invicta - Casio kicks Invicta's a$$, heck any brand that you have ever heard of kicks Invicta's a$$. :nono: :wink:

lol

Personally out of the 2 I'd take the MkVI... but depends on the style of music you play. Isn't exactly a rock n roll watch.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:24 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

HehehHEhehe.... Love the stone-crushing! As a musician, that's a requirement..... Thanks all for a bit of focus... I mean, I have a few decent pieces right now, but nothing real high end. Personally, ANYTHING high end should be able to take some abuse.... I will say this, the B19 movement is pretty bada$$! I am leaning toward that watch. And as far as style, who's paying me?? :strummin: THAT'S MY FAVORITE STYLE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:26 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

PRS Mike wrote:
HehehHEhehe.... Love the stone-crushing! As a musician, that's a requirement..... Thanks all for a bit of focus... I mean, I have a few decent pieces right now, but nothing real high end. Personally, ANYTHING high end should be able to take some abuse.... I will say this, the B19 movement is pretty bada$$! I am leaning toward that watch. And as far as style, who's paying me?? :strummin: THAT'S MY FAVORITE STYLE!!!!

If you are looking at the 19 then that's a different story - Mark VI Complications 19 is in a whole different league to the Chrono Cockpit and the regular Mark VI.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:31 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Besides the obvious, (in your seemingly very educated opinion!) what's the major difference? I know the B26 is a "less" complicated movement, and of course the 4-year is, well....yeah. So again, (please excuse the noob) thoughts?? ALL are welcome.... AND... last thing, I'm seeing the MKVI 19 movement selling anywhere between 7 to 11 thousand. When you see the $5995.99 "blow-out", "last one", etc, how realistic are those?? Thanks again all! .....M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

PRS Mike wrote:
Besides the obvious, (in your seemingly very educated opinion!) what's the major difference? I know the B26 is a "less" complicated movement, and of course the 4-year is, well....yeah. So again, (please excuse the noob) thoughts?? ALL are welcome.... AND... last thing, I'm seeing the MKVI 19 movement selling anywhere between 7 to 11 thousand. When you see the $5995.99 "blow-out", "last one", etc, how realistic are those?? Thanks again all! .....M

Well this is legitimate - http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREITLING-BENTL ... 589515249f

Not the most expensive strap / clasp combination, but a pretty good price. The semi-perpetual movement in the Complications 19 really sets it apart, and the look of the dial is also extremely well balanced in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Funny, I was looking at that watch, (in my"watch" list....) Anyway, what about the sites like, authenticwatches, 300watches, worldofwatches, etc..... Being a "petrolhead" I dig the Bentley line, have pretty much decided the 19 movement on the VI... NONE of my local AD's stock, nor can they get that watch. That leaves me to find some NoS.....($$$ as well you know...) Again, sorry to be a fang in the A$$, but again, the most educated choice you know..... thanks again. Am VERY thankful for the informal education...... If you have any ?'s about guitars?? :) You know who to email!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:32 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

PRS Mike wrote:
Funny, I was looking at that watch, (in my"watch" list....) Anyway, what about the sites like, authenticwatches, 300watches, worldofwatches, etc..... Being a "petrolhead" I dig the Bentley line, have pretty much decided the 19 movement on the VI... NONE of my local AD's stock, nor can they get that watch. That leaves me to find some NoS.....($$$ as well you know...) Again, sorry to be a fang in the A$$, but again, the most educated choice you know..... thanks again. Am VERY thankful for the informal education...... If you have any ?'s about guitars?? :) You know who to email!

Grey market sites like the ones that you list often list pieces that they don't have and the pricing isn't always any better than an AD will do. Also, there is absolutely no factory warranty through them. In the US, try calling Breitling USA in CT and see if they can tell you of any ADs that still have a Complications 19 left - if there are any you'll get a great discount. It seems a bit hit and miss whether BUSA will reveal that, but worth a try.

Quote:
If you have any ?'s about guitars?? :) You know who to email!

Neal Moser? :poke: :wink: