Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:08 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase my first Breitling and a vintage no less. I like the Chronomat given it can perform calcs related to to finance (my job) as well as cycling (my favourite sport). In my city, I've found a couple of 769 models but they are frankenwatches. Then there's this 808 which I like the sporty yet dressy look of in a goldilocks-sized case.

As I'd like to start my vintage Breitling journey on the right foot, can you please check whether there are any reasons for concern with this watch?

Given the 7 digit serial number starting with 114 which points to 1967, it checks out with the serrated bezel and the arrow markers at 12 o'clock. On the Venus movement, the WOG inscription indicates it was distributed by Wakmann. The local dealer bought it from Japan so its perfectly reasonable for it to have been sourced from the US.

To my untrained eyes, my biggest question is whether the outer slide rule is a replacement as the shade appears to be a bit off.

Many thanks in advance for the help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:43 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
all fine; exceptional condition

woz_woz likes this post.
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:22 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 3 posts
Thank you very much! I read an interview the other day with Georges Kern who I hold in high esteem and noted he had name checked you. I have also read an interview that you did with an esteemed Hong Kong periodical. I'm a big fan of the AVI 765 1953 re-edition which imho is one of the best re-issues from any Swiss brand and on my to buy list. I look forward to playing more catch up with Breitling history. Have a good day!

2 people like this post.