The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 97 posts
As the title states, I'm looking for tips as to whether and how I can remove dark (black) spots from brown crocodile. I just came in to two brown croc straps that both are like new on the inside, but the outsides have what appears to be black streaks? Help is appreciated, pictures below

ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:04 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 19 posts
It's probably a mixture of dirt, sweat and grease. First thing you want to do is clean the strap before doing any conditioning. Use a damp soft cloth and dab the strab - do not rub it. You could also use a mild soap with the water for the cloth.

Afterwards, let the strap dry naturally - no direct heating, no sunlight.

Then, there are a number of leather creams or light waxes on the market that you could use to condition the strap. As always, try to use your choice of product on a small hidden area first, to make sure that you don't get into changes/surprises.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:29 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

aleister wrote:
It's probably a mixture of dirt, sweat and grease. First thing you want to do is clean the strap before doing any conditioning. Use a damp soft cloth and dab the strab - do not rub it. You could also use a mild soap with the water for the cloth.

Afterwards, let the strap dry naturally - no direct heating, no sunlight.

Then, there are a number of leather creams or light waxes on the market that you could use to condition the strap. As always, try to use your choice of product on a small hidden area first, to make sure that you don't get into changes/surprises.

Aleister, your input is greatly appreciated. I'll definitely give these methods a shot! :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:21 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I think the markings give the leather a bit of character IMHO. Gives the strap a "worn in" look that feels slightly vintage. If the strap was purchased to look as close to "mint" as possible I can see your desire to give it new life. Post pictures before and after once you get it cleaned up! I'm interested to see the transformation!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:41 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Enforcer wrote:
If the strap was purchased to look as close to "mint" as possible I can see your desire to give it new life. Post pictures before and after once you get it cleaned up! I'm interested to see the transformation!

Hi Enforcer,

They were a gift from a friend, but I do want them to look as "mint" as possible. I gave the strap the preliminary cleaning (with a damp cloth) that aleister described. Now I must decide on a cleaning treatment. I have allen edmonds shoe conditioner cream (http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/shoe- ... SF570.html), so I may use that for my endeavor to clean the strap.

I've also read great things about Leather Nova. They sell three great items: (1) a leather cleaner (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Cleaner-H ... JCZ8745PFN), (2) a leather conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Condition ... SSMA1V5J6G), and (3) a combination cleaner and conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Condition ... er+cleaner). I've seen great reviews from purchasers of both the cleaner and the conditioner. I've also read great reviews of the combo product, which I would rather buy than spend twice as much on the separate items.

I'm hoping those with more experience or knowledge about these products and/or leather care in general, will be kind enough to chime in with their opinions as to which product(s) I should use. I appreciate any help and apologize if my detailed account comes off as prolix!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:28 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I don't have any experience with those leather care products. The only leather items I care for are two pairs of handmade Redwing Heritage boots that I own, they might be able to offer you some good leather cleaning products as well if there is a store near you. They generally know what type of oils/cleaners to use for which type of leather product you have.