It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Watch display case?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:10 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hey folks,

Still not picked up the Avenger II GMT yet - been way too busy to get to the AD :(

The Avenger will be my 9th watch to be added to my collection (the other 8 aren't anything special - mainly fashion watches). The watches are currently scattered on top of the dresser so I figure some sort of case is in order.
Ive found a couple of cases on the watch-winder.co.uk website such as http://watch-winder.co.uk/Black-PU-Leather-12-Watch-Case-S1.html

I don't want to spend a fortune (the Avenger has wiped me out! :D ) and the case will be static and no-one will ever see it. Has anyone bought a case from watch-winder.co.uk? Anybody have suggestions for cases from other shops (UK based preferably)?

Thanks

Rich

Post subject: Re: Watch display case?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:13 am 
Contributing Connoisseur
Contributing Connoisseur

Liked in: 626 posts
Welcome! Try Ebay Some very nice Oak Cherry Mahogany and glass cases very reasonable!

Post subject: Re: Watch display case?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:24 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
:welcome:

Hi Rich,

This works for me and only cost $20 to get together. Cheap.
I have been looking round for a watch box for some time and like you, I get a bit annoyed with the clutter on my dresser. I use stands, but I find the whole process tedious. I change watches about 3 times a day, so this is a regular event. You can buy a proper box from $40 upwards, but this one suits me better.
I hate watch cushions because I am basically lazy. Having to wrap a watch onto a cushion before putting into the box is a major hassle. Same with stands. I can never get them right, due to bracelet sizing, etc, so I thought of this idea as an alternative. I like timber boxes for display purposes, but they are all (usually) full of cushions or dividers, etc.

This is a Tea caddy. Very popular in Oz at the moment for same darn reason. Every bric a brac and homemaker store has a selection of these things, which are perfect for storing and displaying watches. The main difference is that they come really cheap but initially have no support for a watch. This was the only one on display without the word TEA written on the side. I can't tell you what the timber is, (I think it might be MDF) but it's polished in a nice redwood finish and suit the bedroom. So, all good.

The compartments are 85 x 55mm and about 80mm deep and I can fit just about all my collection in here (8 at a time). I have a very large Mido which just goes. I have placed in the compartments some block foam, which can be torn off in segments. You customise the segments according to the size you want. Very handy product and also very cheap. Theres about $1.50 worth of foam in the box. The side foam is to act as a shoulder for the watch case, and to give it support. The top and bottom foam is to hold the watch snugly. You could use other materials, but this one came easily to hand. Each compartment is red flocked, so in any arrangement you come up with you can be assured of a no scratch interior surface. All of my Breitlings fit and even some very small watches of less that 35mm sit nicely in the compartments.

The whole idea is to allow my watches a secure position without strapping to a cushion. The straps and bracelets hang down below the watch freely. I guess it's the equivalent of 'free balling' but with watch straps. Straps curl to the natural shape of your wrist but bracelets roll down naturally, link over link into the deep compartment space. I don't like bracelets rubbing on the case back or on themselves, as I am a bit of a WIS when it comes to this. I can pull a watch out and put one in simply and easily.

The irony of this approach was initially the displayed price of the box as about $26.00. When I took it to the counter the salesperson said that there was a discount applicable to the sticker price during their winter sale, so it cost me $16.00 in the end. Very little modding to be done for a reasonable effect.

"You have Control".