The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 4 posts
So obviously for many the "strap culture" thing has it's appeal. A new strap can instantly transform a piece. The question is, what significance does Breitling have in association with vintage styles? It seems Panerai has all but adopted the "Pre-V" square-shaped buckle, and seeing that on a strap implies it's for an PAM even though it could fit anything. I don't know that Breitling, despite having been around for decades, has an iconic style of leather that's historically accurate for the brand.

Curious as to what others have found. I think it's safe to say that the "Monaco" style strap like what we see on the SOH46 fits. Perhaps Bund-style as well given the aeronautical roots of those pieces. But beyond those assumptions I'm curious to see what some of you have found that gives that nice vinty-fresh look while not looking like you really wish you had a Panerai on your wrist to justify your strap choices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:56 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Can you Please explain the panerai strap madness to me first ?

I never understood it , where did it come from and why do people feel the need to go panerai ( overboard) on straps ? Since it was a dive watch its hard for me to believe there's any real historic significance at all to these outlandisch straps ?

But i am most likely just not understanding it correctly , so please explain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:30 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
Interesting question. I find that as there are many styles of bracelets or straps that will suit an individual model, the field is wide open on what works on a Breitling. Flexibility is a virtue. Breitling are not on there own here either as this goes for many other makers offerings as well.

I like it that way and I like the idea of multiple buckle designs across differing models with no particular reference to the model. The one proviso is that a logical link in the buckle engraving (Breitling wings, etc) to the watch needs to be consistent. Otherwise, I would not rule out anything. Strap or bracelet texture, colour, deployment, purpose and even 'meaning' can influence what might work or not. You sometimes read posts of members here trying to fit a style of strap or bracelet to a particular Breitling model that it might not have been intended for. The connection sometimes works but sometimes it is difficult or almost impossible to achieve. It does not stop people trying however and I figure that this is where the heart of it is. So having no one particular style for that watch is fine by me. The makers choice seem to work fine but others might be possible with a bit of imagination.

The one thing I find very difficult to accept is any modern Breitling buckle and strap being fitted to a vintage Breitling watch, where the original is no longer available or there is a too high a price to pay getting something that looks authentic. Whether it is authentic or not is a mute point. That's just me and this idiosyncrasy of mine might not offend others. Each to there own.

I am also of the mind that if there is another reason to fit something way off the pace to a watch, and one that perhaps might raise an eyebrow of those who would be offended by such practices, then its more a matter of - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Imagination can pay off sometimes and perhaps the choice of buckle and strap might also delight others once they see what it is you are trying to achieve.

Now, as for Panerai........................... :wink:

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
I'm not sure that there is a definitive Breitling 'look' for straps. White stitching and good padding were always indicators for the leather but that's not true anymore with the newer coloured strap options. I also think that different straps are less common on Breitling than say Panerai because it's not so straightforward to swap them out - the need for a Bergson style fork and tight fitting OEM straps that aren't always the easiest to remove / insert for occasional strap changers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:21 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Here's a few historically correct straps

22mm leather 1963

22mm mesh 1968

Colly 22mm Breitling for the SO2005 from 1965 / 1968

22mm Lizard for 1954 - later Navitimers , Cosmo's etc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:50 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
I agree with Roff's point--Breitlings are in fact great strap watches, but there is no simplified way to change straps, as Panerai has, nor do they market quick-change options like JLC and IWC sometimes use. I'm considering getting a custom gator with a quick-change mechanism like JLC has on their straps.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless