The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:40 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
I've gotten watch bands from Stone Creek Straps, ABP Paris, Strapped For Time, Hirsch, Strapcode, K-Straps, and others. I've asked all on how to care for the materials given I have lizard, cow, croc, python, shark, and ostrich and whatever they've told me I've followed. Some even advise using a leather cleaner/conditioner on their site like Daluca, The Strap Smith, and Strapcode.

My point is that the leather in an automobile or on a couch is not like the leather used on a watch strap. In some cases, it doesn't even come from the same animal, let alone get the same treatment. The maker of the watch strap, who usually has nothing to gain from advocating a product type that they do not sell, probably knows the optimal care procedures/products for the products they themselves produce. After all, they are the ones treating it and working with it on a daily basis, and many have spent decades making custom straps. While leather cleaner/treatment may be unnecessary on cars, that doesn't mean it is unnecessary for watch straps.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:47 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Interestingly, this is what is on Breitling's own web site:

Like all leather objects (shoes, gloves, etc) a leather strap needs to be carefully cared for in order to maintain its beauty in the long term. Protect leather straps from water, perspiration, damp, grease, perfume, cosmetics or chemicals, and avoid excessive exposure to the sun. The use of Breitling’s care kit (available from brand retailers) will help increase the lifespan of leather straps and maintain their appearance and their supple feel .

http://www.breitling.com/en/service/ind ... ndex=87351

A number of strap / bracelet combo's

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:46 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Do any of the leather products you guys mention here discolor the strap threads (mine are white) - worried they will "yellow" the threads. Thanks!