Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:30 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 10 posts
Hello,

I had my Montbrillant Datore serviced (a 2002 watch) or should I say renewed inside.
The watchmaker told me he replaced multiple parts including major parts as the watch was never properly serviced and when serviced it was "mistreated". The invoice states several items, its in French and difficult to read.
Anyway, is it so that major parts are on exchange basis and that Breitling would require the old parts to be returned to them?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:48 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
Hi aby! I believe this is Breitling’s policy. I sent pictures of my 769 from 1946-47 to Mark Heist
who provides authorized Breitling service. One of my questions was what could be done concerning the dial. I was told that the dial could be replaced with a NOS dial on a “exchange basis”, but their first preference was to keep the dial to preserve the originality of the watch.
I know other watch manufacturers such as Omega world replace watch parts and return the old parts to the owner after servicing. Now, Omega is not providing parts to watchmakers unless you are an authorized service provider. It looks like watch companies are trying to tighten control of service and parts while removing the old parts from possible secondary sales.
I do feel sorry for competent watchmakers who are not authorized service centers, who now can’t get parts to repair their customers watches. I know this will force them to service their customers watches with generic parts (not good). Anyway, I hope this sheds some light on your
question.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:32 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
Just a rant...as a owner. I hate the fact that Rolex, Omega, Breitling et. al. can sell a watch and then tell us we have to have a dial or something (non movement) but we have to buy it again and we can't keep our old one!

This isn't done like a auto part...where if you "turn in the core" you get a cheaper price...its just extortion. I sent my White Explorer II to Rolex this year b/c the 10 o'clock hour marker had a fleck of paint peel and the bezel can't really be "polished" so I bought one of those too...$275 for the bezel and $400 or so for the dial and they keep the old ones. Bezel was optional, Dial was not and of course it needed a service...have they ever said it didn't???

I got the watch back from Rolex and it was so "no longer mine", no soul, I missed the bezel, even missed the "unique" dial. I sold it the same week. Luckily I bought the watch years earlier and paid $3875...sold for $7,100....as it was basically a new watch to someone and serviced. After the $1600 service I still cleared about $1,650 but not the point. I should have never sent it to the bastards.

Now I'm down to one DateJust 41 WG Jubilee...I will never buy another Rolex again. Done with the brand....jesh that felt like therapy typing all that! LOL

Thanks and now I'm done bitching....

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:15 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 2 posts
I’m glad you got it all out Mickey! I feel you pain!
My local watchmaker use to work for Rolex. Now he’s an independent. He said that they got paid based on the number of watches that they serviced per day. He told me that he was able to knock out 2 to 3 per day. The more parts or upgrades that they sell the more they make! He just serviced my Datejust - complete service with a new main spring and main spring barrel. He took a video of what was wrong, sent me pics of when it was disassembled and even added music to the video. It was great and all for $650 and yes he gave he back the old parts. When the big watch guys service your watch, they have you over a barrel and they know it.
Me - I love the small independent watch guy, you just have to find the right one.

Rob

MickeyWatch likes this post.
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:35 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

EyeDoc wrote:
I’m glad you got it all out Mickey! I feel you pain!
My local watchmaker use to work for Rolex. Now he’s an independent. He said that they got paid based on the number of watches that they serviced per day. He told me that he was able to knock out 2 to 3 per day. The more parts or upgrades that they sell the more they make! He just serviced my Datejust - complete service with a new main spring and main spring barrel. He took a video of what was wrong, sent me pics of when it was disassembled and even added music to the video. It was great and all for $650 and yes he gave he back the old parts. When the big watch guys service your watch, they have you over a barrel and they know it.
Me - I love the small independent watch guy, you just have to find the right one.

Rob

Thanks Rob I needed a sympathetic ear obviously. LOL

My local guy just retired before I sent that one to Rolex...gonna be hard to find another "reliable" one but I'm searching.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
There’s no guarantee that everyone who gets back old parts isn’t going to be selling them to someone making replicas so there’s a reason parts are only exchanged.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:09 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

jnelson3097 wrote:
There’s no guarantee that everyone who gets back old parts isn’t going to be selling them to someone making replicas so there’s a reason parts are only exchanged.

This is a valid point and I presume valid for a small % of the Frankenwatch makers out there but its defiantly the tail waging the dog for us normal honest owners. I'd love to have a shelf of old dials!!!

And guess what if someone wants to put my old dial on their old Explorer why shouldn't they be allowed to? Not many other businesses could get away with this...what ever happened to Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"? Or do we need big business, like some want big government, to save and protect us from ourselves? Not me. :guns:

I guess that's why they call them "luxury watches" - we don't own them we just rent them...one service at a time.

Again I could use my example of radiator or battery cores where you get a significant discount versus buying "new" but then they will just tell me my dial WAS worth $995 and $420 is the "discounted" price...its just the way it is - crooked. To be clear I am not complaining about the cost of a service...I couldn't do that kind of work if you had a gun to my head. $1514.00 for a service of a watch I paid $3750 for (to be exact)... :?

So I'm not just blowing hot air here is the receipt from my Explorer II serviced and then sold. I guess I shouldn't bitch b/c as values go up so do sales prices... :| So ultimately the market "took care of the situation" but I'm not happy about it. :D