Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hello,

I own the new Avenger Bandit and the new Navitimer 1884 special edition. When I operate the Chronograph on both these watches the 12-hour totalizer hand eventually overshoots the hour marker it was intended to rest on, sometimes being in between two-hour markers. I was told by the owner of the jewelry store where I purchased these watches and who himself is a watchmaker that the chronograph movement on all automatic watches tends to be inaccurate due to start and stopping the chrono several times as well as how you move your arm while the chronograph is running. When I tested this, the 12-hour totalizer was accurate when I wasn't wearing either watch, but the totalizer on both watches were inaccurate after wearing the watches for a time and running the chrono while starting and stop it and moving my arm while walking. Is what the watchmaker told me true? Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:44 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
There is inherent play in the running train to provide binding of the wheels, movement of the watch makes it more evident. Pure speculation with only a description but I highly doubt there is anything wrong, especially if both watches are the same.

Welcome to BreitlingSource.

Chesapeake1 likes this post.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 am 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Thank you for your input!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:59 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 2 posts
The Valjous 7750 series have the chronograph as an integral part of the movement. This, IMHO, makes it a PITA to service. Regardless of the servicing issue, they designed the movement to be economical to manufacture. Hence, the minute register has a jumper spring that synchronizes the counter hand with the sweep seconds hand. So, the counter advances one step every time the sweep hand passes zero. Conversely, the hour register is gear driven without a jumper spring. This, of course, leads to the misconception that something is wrong with the watch which is not the case. the observed operation is quite normal. My SA works as you described. The only reason I can think of for the operational difference is economy of production.

On the other hand, the chronograph on the ETA 2892 series is a modular unit coupled by a single wheel from the movement. This makes servicing much easier. The watchmaker can work on the movement and the chronograph individually. It is much easier to detect and fix problems.

Regards,

Onewatchnut

Super Avenger