The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:02 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Just bought and received a Breitling Old Navitimer II D13022 model today. The watch for its age looks real nice. It came with a black leather Breitling buckle band. When I tired to use the Chronograph feature the second hand would only go around almost once and stop just before the 12 o'clock position. A lite tap on my palm and it would continue around again to almost the 12 o'clock position and then stop. All the time this was happening over the course of about 15 minutes the 12 and 6 o'clock dial never advanced at all.

Obviously bummed out like nobody's business. I contacted the company I bought it from and they emailed me a shipping label and back it went today. They told me there watchmaker will look at it ASAP and hopefully I will have it back on Thursday. Not bad service and the sales guy told me it may have been damaged in shipping is the only thing they can assume.

I guess anything can happen but it was packaged well with no evidence of damage to the box. Anyway while I wait and ponder when it will get fixed has anyone else out there heard of this problem? I assume my watch cant be the only one to have this problem. I have been doing some research and someone on a thread just mentioned a term called hacking the second hand with the crown in the second pulled out position? This is my first Breitling Navitimer so I am not that familiar with all the terms or idiosyncrasies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The watch is very striking in person and I also bought a era specific bracelet for this watch which was also delivered today. Cant wait for them to be introduced. ;) I did plan on giving the watch to the wife to wrap up for me for Christmas so all is not lost time wise. She is always looking for something to get me and now I broke the code. :D

TIA, Jim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:36 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 534 posts
Location: Santa Marta colombia on our way to french polynesia
Hi jim
Since its a pre 2000 piece it may just need a good and proper service , not much to worry about imo
Now if you get it back and it still has this problem id be worried

Lets see what they found and how it works when you get it back

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Hacking simply means that the second hand stops when you pull the crown out. I am actually a bit more concerned about your situation......

The watch just needs a service, that's no big deal as Dracha points out. The problem is likely a lack of lubrication that is causing problems, worst case it's a damaged wheel in the chronograph mechanism that can easily be replaced. However, by the sounds of it the place that you bought from is not a Breitling AD which means that they don't have Breitling training, or more importantly, access to Breitling parts. Personally I wouldn't let a non authorised watchmaker anywhere near one of my Breitlings, just send it to Breitling for a service and get it back as good as new with a 1 year Breitling warranty.

Welcome to BreitlingSource.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

OK Thanks. I was told they look the watches over to make sure they work correctly and that they are authentic before shipping. But being what it is with buying/selling and trading I am sure they give it a very little look over and just deal with issues like mine when they crop up. I am not too concerned right now since they are making things right. I just didnt know if I was overlooking anything. I know how to use a Chronograph and knew this one wasnt working right. Hopefully it comes back working well and in time I will send it to Breitling to get a full service done. That way it will be looking real good when it comes back and I will have a good base line.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:47 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Its a Ebay seller with a actual store front and business located in Florida. Been in business 12 years with a 100% feedback rating and 1800+ sales. My watch is one of the lower priced ones they had listed. I understand about them not potentially being a Breitling authorized dealer but it would be nice to wear the watch a little bit before I have to spend another 1K with a full service spa treatment to Breitling. We will see what happens in the next few days since its already on its way back.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:59 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

To complete this story my watch arrived back to me today after going back to the company I bought it from. The watchmaker said a spring was out of place and best they could figure is the shipping box got jarred pretty good which caused it. Right now everything is working correctly and I put a metal bracelet on the watch which is what I prefer.

I live in the Midwest but will be in central Florida for February and March this year looking for our retirement home with my wife. I plan to take a day trip down to the Breitling repair center in Harbor Islands Florida. I will drop the watch off at some point there and also go and pick it up before we drive back home. This way no shipping issues to worry about. I plan to ask if they can redo the whole watch and make it look like new again. I have already called them to inquire and they told me 2-3 weeks to get this work done. Should work out perfect.

Thanks for the words of wisdom early on. :lingsrock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:12 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Explanation doesn't make much sense to me. There are only two springs in the movement - balance spring (or hair spring) and main spring. The balance spring is part of the escapement that makes the watch run and a problem there would have affected the timekeeping of all functions. The main spring powers the watch and is completely contained inside the mainspring barrel. If that was out of place the watch wouldn't run.

I guess it doesn't matter if they fixed it and everything is now good!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:31 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I have a very vague understanding on how these watches work. All I know is thats what the salesman told me was wrong. After dealing with this guy for 4 days I can say he's a nice guy but as far as communication and explaining things correctly there's lots of room for improvement.

My watch came back in there company box and my Breitling box with all the papers, warranty etc are not with the watch. I called him back and now a 3rd shipment is heading my way. I also asked 3 times for there company receipt for what I paid and still don't have it. I hope it shows up this time. I wanted it for Insurance purposes so I can put the watch on my personal Insurance Policy and not have to get a appraisal.