The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:47 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
Hi all, well I have had my evolution for a week or so now and have a couple of technical questions. I have been wearing her for a week every day apart from yesterday. I noticed this morning it must have stopped for a couple of hours last night. here are my questions....

1. If you are not using a watch winder, is the watch not fully wound when you take it off? (Wolf Designs winder on order and should be here Tuesday)

2. Is it possible to over wind a Breitling? (I have seen people on the forum talk about giving a watch 40 winds and there being a ratchet that prevents over
winding)

3. I believe my watch is a 2006 model and is supposed to have a 40+ hour power reserve?

:lingsrock:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:58 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Whether it is fully wound when you take it off will depend on how active you are, as a general rule a day's wear is enough to keep it running, but if you aren't that active, or if there are days when you don't wear it then it will need some manual winding to maintain the reserve. You can't overwind an automatic, and as a general rule 40 turns is a full reserve, 30 will cover 24 hours.

The original power reserve will be 42 hours, but if the watch is now close to 6 years old then it may need servicing in which case the reserve will be less through the combination of increased friction and an old mainspring.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:37 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Many thanks Roff, I am now making inquiries as to how to ship Brietling service Canada my watch for an overhaul. I will give the Wolf Watch Winder a chance to keep her wound first though. When I received her I gave her 5 winds and put her on my wrist and has been running fine ever since, apart from yesterday I have now given her 40 winds and hopefully that will work. It would be a shame to send a mint looking watch in for an Overhaul when it doesn't need polishing.

Cheers again

Pogal

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:39 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Canadian service centre is Watch Service Centre of Canada on Hayden Street in Toronto. You can take it in person, ship it direct or have an AD send it for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Pogal wrote:
Many thanks Roff, I am now making inquiries as to how to ship Brietling service Canada my watch for an overhaul. I will give the Wolf Watch Winder a chance to keep her wound first though. When I received her I gave her 5 winds and put her on my wrist and has been running fine ever since, apart from yesterday I have now given her 40 winds and hopefully that will work. It would be a shame to send a mint looking watch in for an Overhaul when it doesn't need polishing.

Cheers again

Pogal

Think of it like a car...Pretty and shiny on the outside...But with 100,000 miles and never an oil change.
I read on the Rolex forum today a good article about maintaining your watch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:03 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately I am in Ottawa...Our nations Capital and we have no AD! I know I know, we are all boring people here in Ottawa with no money to spend on nice watches NOT.
I will probably ship it down to TO or take it myself as I have to go down in April anyway on business.

Cheers Roff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:20 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Edit.... Just checked out the WSCC website and although they are a Breitling Authorized repair shop, I see none of the techs have taken the Breitling course? They also don't seem to have all the equipment that is shown in the very impressive breitling service video. Do you know if they will do the same job, or is it a standard jewelry store repair?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Pogal wrote:
Edit.... Just checked out the WSCC website and although they are a Breitling Authorized repair shop, I see none of the techs have taken the Breitling course? They also don't seem to have all the equipment that is shown in the very impressive breitling service video. Do you know if they will do the same job, or is it a standard jewelry store repair?

Ignore the website.

WSCC is one trading name of Grigoros. Another trading name is La Swiss. They are effectively 'Breitling Canada', they are Breitling authorised, with Breitling equipment, Breitling training and Breitling parts.