The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:32 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Hope I am posting in the right place. I saw the new forum here, and was wanting to share some info and observations about Cartier's new, and first, totally inhouse movement:
The calibre 1904 MC. 1904 was the first year of watchmaking for Cartier.
The big thing about the movement for me is the stability, or the consistent accuracy, whether the watch is worn a lot, just a couple of days a week, or even just an hour a day. According to the Cartier website, the movement is "Equipped with a double barrel,that guarantees long-term consistency of the mainspring." To be honest, I am still trying to grasp how that plays a role . Another article mentions that the twin barrels provide a steadier flow of power to the escapement. As I will probably only wear the watch on weekends - keeping it wound during the week, of course - the fact that the watch will maintain it's accuracy for about 48 hours while you are not wearing it, and it's not getting wound, is good news for me .
When the watch is worn, the rotor is able to wind the movement in both directions. Here is a quote from another article, which I saved:
"Cartier also paid close attention to the winding system. Ceramic ball bearings at the center of the rotor ensure excellent shock resistance and durability. Cartier abandoned reversers in favor of a pawl system to speed winding, and a bi-directional full-size rotor assures maximum winding efficiency." Quite impressive that it uses ceramic ball bearings instead of oil for smoothness. Apparently this is also great for shock resistence and of course makes it more durable.
The watch at the moment, seems to run a bit on the slow side. Last couple of days, lost about 4-5 seconds per day. Same both days, though, one day I was wearing it and today I am not.
Remarkably easy to wind! It does not have a screw down crown, and when I wind it, it almost feels that there is no resistence at all, it is so smooth.
I am so used to giving my Rolex a wash every night, the WR of the Cartier at 30m kind of concerned me. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to read in the manual, and see on the DVD that came with the watch, that a frequent washing with soapy water is recommended to preserve the water reistance! Cartier even provides a small cleaning kit with a soft brush, cleaner/lubricant for the bracelet and they recommend using that every couple of months.
Well, enough info for now. I am even starting to confuse myself!
Cheers and Congratulations on the new forum!
Carl