The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Those of you who have been here for a few years know that a while back I wrote some technical articles that we'll move into here (they are currently linked from this page - http://www.breitlingsource.com/articles.shtml). On a couple of occasions I've been asked to add a few more items, and this new section is the perfect place. So...........

What technical element of watches, watchmaking, etc do you want me to put some stuff together on (if anything)?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 0 post
Explanation of how certain watches know there are 28 days, or 30, or 31 days in a month and move to it on it's own.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:57 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Just clicked on your link and read about perpetual calendars, so that answers my question - very well written.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Firstly, this is a cool idea for a sub-forum!

The kind if thing I would find very interesting is to learn a bit more about the fabrication of the various components in a watch. How do they synthesize jewels? How are the hands, hour markers, escapement created? Even something as simple as an explanation of some of the industrial tools used to make these things would be interesting, IMO.

I also think that this is a great place for pictorial walkthroughs of common watchmaking tasks such as battery changes, bracelet sizing, regulating the timekeeping etc...

Some of these are ambitious but are just questions I've had for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:14 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Indeed, I would love to see more photos of the manufacturing process.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:55 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 49 posts
dhalem wrote:
Indeed, I would love to see more photos of the manufacturing process.

great idea dan.

Roff not sure if you ever spend any time over at TZ but some of the mods there get some amazing info straight from the manufacturers. and even get amazing pics. if we were able to get this straight from BSA of the plant and development it would be pretty cool.

A while back member taffytoon posted this amazing article on Rolex and the factory. At that time I couldnt quite appreciate it because i was a rolex hater, im a recent convert as many of you know. but that article whether you own rolex or not was AWESOME!.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:03 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
a little input from the vintage corner. a thread about movements would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:11 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I've got a little info on some of the manufacturing processes (generally, not Breitling specific), I'll see what I can dig out. Individual watchmaker tools are easier for me so let me think about what I can do around that. Not sure how easy it will be to get data out of Breitling, but no harm asking.

@WatchFred, I was thinking about something around 7750 or similar of the 'classic' modern movement bases, but maybe 178 and similar as well.

@Iantheklutz, Can't do much on battery changes myself as I have no quartz, but understand the concepts and will try to find some photos from the web that don't cause any copyright issues. Regulation may be a bit easier as I can take those shots myself for some of the styles of regulator.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:42 am 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
Everything I know about watches, as limited as it may be, comes from 2 sources - an absurdly prodigous buying spree and mostly this website.

I'm quite interesred in Dan's suggestion as seconded by Boogiebot. As I understand it, the Breitling factory tour is pretty much an AD perk and when my AD went a few months back he said no one took pictures. He didn't say they weren't allowed and I never asked. FEAR just saw the works, he can clue us in on whether pictures exist, etc...

Also anything more specific we can learn - in the most basic way possible (we aren't all engineers Ian!) - would be nice. Intially watches were something I apprecited soley on looks. Man Jewelry. Then I started to gain a vague notion of what was going on inside which heightened my appreciation for the watches I had. In my experience, the more I learn, the more I appreciate these watches.

Hope this Discussion Forum is always in "Active Topics."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:35 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Would love a technical / scientifically proven studies of the water resistance ratings. Maybe something official from a bonafide manufacturer (if not Breitling directly)?

Still frustrated why my $100 point&shoot waterproof camera can have only a 5m WR and I have zero concern using it at the bottom of the deep end of the swimming pool -- while I can't make myself buy a Navitimer knowing it's 30m WR means I have to be careful washing my hands in the sink. :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 am 

Liked in: 33 posts
H2F wrote:
Would love a technical / scientifically proven studies of the water resistance ratings. Maybe something official from a bonafide manufacturer (if not Breitling directly)?

Still frustrated why my $100 point&shoot waterproof camera can have only a 5m WR and I have zero concern using it at the bottom of the deep end of the swimming pool -- while I can't make myself buy a Navitimer knowing it's 30m WR means I have to be careful washing my hands in the sink. :(

You CAN swim in a Navi and it is quite possible nothing will go wrong. But if it does, you have ruined a several thousand $$ watch. (I do not recommend trying) It is also possible your point and shoot camera will fail. But that won't be a major financial headache. That might be why - knowledge of the money invlolved.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:51 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Agree with Sharkie. My dad scuba dives all the time with a cheap non-diver seiko that has a 10m WR.

It's really about risk and what you're willing to accept and what the manufacturer will do if water does get in.

That said, there seem to be multiple stories on here of Breitling(specifically UK I think) claiming that WR watches were used in the water with the crown unscrewed. Not sure I'd trust them to cover damage in that case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

dhalem wrote:
That said, there seem to be multiple stories on here of Breitling(specifically UK I think) claiming that WR watches were used in the water with the crown unscrewed. Not sure I'd trust them to cover damage in that case.

The standard test for Breitling (and I assume other brands) is to test a failed watch with crown screwed in (if that applies). If it passes the test up to the rated WR then Breitling will default to the assumption that the failure was the result of misuse.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:03 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

That procedure seems quite reasonable. I just point out that there have been several reports where BUK claimed the crown was open and the own swore up and down it wasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:54 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1 post
Not trying to resurrect the many debates on 'rated' vs 'recommended' WR, but it's the very lack of confidence (& evidence) in Breitling's 30m WR ("tool"!) modern watches specifically (Navi, Emergency) that's confusing. I think very few people will use their E like Bear Grylls, or dive with the Navi, but it would be nice to NOT have to worry about it.

Maybe something in the line of a "technical explanation" how various WR is designed into a watch? What's the difference between the E vs EM designs which produces 30m vs 100m WR for example?