The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
 
It is currently Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

Dial/caseback Option
Steinhart name on the dial, Mark II on the dial, with X-1 caseback 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No Steinhart name on the dial, Mark II on the dial, with X-1 caseback 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Steinhart name on the dial, Mark II on the dial, with "MARK II" engraved caseback (like the Blackbird) 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
No Steinhart name on the dial, Mark II on the dial, with "MARK II" engraved caseback (like the Blackbird) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Steinhart name on the dial, X-1 on the dial, with X-1 caseback 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
No Steinhart name on the dial, X-1 on the dial, with X-1 caseback 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:13 am 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12646
Likes: 115 posts
Liked in: 421 posts
Location: UK
New thread as per Altair's request so as not to clog up the reservation thread.

I think there are a couple of design points that are still generating discussion. Hence this thread and poll.

Chumba wrote:
Driver8 wrote:
Is it really not going to say Steinhart on the dial? :? I always think a watch should have the makers name on the dial...... Hmmmm..............


I was assuming it would still have the Steinhart logo on it though...

I quite like the idea of having a watch with edition limitee on it rather than the maker's name.... makes it a bit more special and LE-like imho. Will be quite nice people glancing at it and wondering what make it is... with only a select few actually in the know... or is that just me?!?

:lol:

One of the things that REALLY puts me off not having the manufacturers name on the dial is that it always reminds me of those rubbish watches you sometimes see for sale in the Sunday Newspaper supplement magazines. You know, the ones where they say "RRP £1500, yours for just £23.99". :roll: Those all seem to have no brand name and something like Limited Edition on the dial instead. I can imagine having to explain to people, "No it's not made by 'Limited Edition', it IS a Limited Edition by Steinhart", etc, etc. With just the logo and Limited Edition, it will look like the Steinhart logo is the logo of this mysterious company called "Limited Edition". Sorry guys but I'm really against not having the name.

In terms of the X-1 theme on the caseback, and even though it was kind of my idea(!) I think we possibly should ditch it. I just think that if we call it the "Mark II" and then have something unrelated on the caseback then it'll just look weird. I vote that we just get a large "MARK II" deeply engraved right across th caseback, perhaps in relief like the caseback of the Blackbird :thumbsup: , with Edition Limitée engraved above it in smaller font, and the LE number XX/20 below it. IMHO that would be enough and would also look damn cool too. Opinions?

Hopefully the poll above covers the options : I'm happy to add more if not (or delete the entire thread if people think it's irrelevant! :D )

I've voted for the Steinhart name (plus logo obviously), and Mark II on the dial, and a Blackbird style "Mark II" engraving on the caseback.

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12646
Likes: 115 posts
Liked in: 421 posts
Location: UK
And just in case anyone was unsure what I was getting at with the "Mark II caseback idea", this is kind of what I had in mind. The darker grey is the engraved part, and the lighter grey is the flat surface -

Image

Thoughts?

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12646
Likes: 115 posts
Liked in: 421 posts
Location: UK
And this for the dial (with the small 6 on the sunken subdial at the "6" mark, and the Mark II on the dial with the Steinhart name and logo)

Again... thoughts?

Image

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:31 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 am
Posts: 50
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Location: Scotland
What about instead of Mark II on the dial.... putting the Edition Limitee wording there and just having Mark II on the back?

So basically it would have the Steinhart Logo, Name and Edition Limitee on the front and not the model name itself.. in kinda the same way as the Blackbird doesn't say it's name on the dial but says it on the back

I don't really have a strong opinion on any of this so happy to go with the flow. Just thought that Mark II looked a bit strange in the mockup and I'm a sucker for telling everyone I have an LE.. :lol:

Cheers!

Dave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:40 pm 
Offline
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:39 am
Posts: 12646
Likes: 115 posts
Liked in: 421 posts
Location: UK
Chumba wrote:
What about instead of Mark II on the dial.... putting the Edition Limitee wording there and just having Mark II on the back?

So basically it would have the Steinhart Logo, Name and Edition Limitee on the front and not the model name itself.. in kinda the same way as the Blackbird doesn't say it's name on the dial but says it on the back

I don't really have a strong opinion on any of this so happy to go with the flow. Just thought that Mark II looked a bit strange in the mockup and I'm a sucker for telling everyone I have an LE.. :lol:

Cheers!

Dave.

You mean like this -

Image

We could do with some more "wordy" input from the potential 20 buyers here guys! *hint, hint* :poke:

_________________
Driver8

Site Moderator
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:41 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 am
Posts: 50
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Location: Scotland
:yeahthat

Yup.. that works for me!! (but there's not an option to vote for it in your poll.. :wink: )

Cheers!

Dave.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:08 pm 
Offline
Contributing Misery Guts
Contributing Misery Guts
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:31 pm
Posts: 1067
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Location: Cardiff
Truth is I would be happy with any of the designs to be honest. I was looking at getting one of these watches anway. Any additional extras is a bonus for me :bow:

Mart

_________________
"It's not how it's written it's how it's read"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:10 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:16 am
Posts: 48
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
I like the small 6 and having the Steinhart name and logo.

I would be happy with either Mark II or Edition Limitee. Has the idea of having something that acts a a subtile tie between this watch and the first LE been mentioned? (I didn't see anything when I read through all of the threads) If that were an appealing idea I could see the Edition Limitee phase on the dial doing that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:25 pm 
Offline
Contributing Curmudgeon
Contributing Curmudgeon
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:29 pm
Posts: 498
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 1 post
Location: Seattle, WA
Driver8 wrote:
One of the things that REALLY puts me off not having the manufacturers name on the dial is that it always reminds me of those rubbish watches you sometimes see for sale in the Sunday Newspaper supplement magazines. You know, the ones where they say "RRP £1500, yours for just £23.99". :roll: Those all seem to have no brand name and something like Limited Edition on the dial instead. I can imagine having to explain to people, "No it's not made by 'Limited Edition', it IS a Limited Edition by Steinhart", etc, etc. With just the logo and Limited Edition, it will look like the Steinhart logo is the logo of this mysterious company called "Limited Edition". Sorry guys but I'm really against not having the name.

I agree...there should be the Steinhart name on it. It's something to be proud of (both for us and for Steinhart).

Driver8 wrote:
In terms of the X-1 theme on the caseback, and even though it was kind of my idea(!)

I was your idea! ;)

Driver8 wrote:
I think we possibly should ditch it. I just think that if we call it the "Mark II" and then have something unrelated on the caseback then it'll just look weird.

Yup. I think I actually like the name "X-1" more than the name "Mark II", but I think whichever the name ends up being, that should be the theme for the watch front and back.

My favorite of the suggestions so far is to have "Steinhart" and "Edition Limitee" on the front, then whichever theme (Mark II or X-1) on the caseback. I voted for the "X-1 front, X-1 back", but I think "Edition Limitee front" looks better than either "X-1" or "Mark II". (I hate to suggest this, but it sounds like another poll: "Steinhardt + Mark II front, Mark II back", "Steinhart + X-1 front, X-1 back", "Steinhardt + Edition Limitee front, Mark II back" and "Steinhardt + Edition Limitee front, X-1 back")

///M

_________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." --Dave Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:07 pm 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 am
Posts: 50
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Location: Scotland
Mofongo wrote:
My favorite of the suggestions so far is to have "Steinhart" and "Edition Limitee" on the front, then whichever theme (Mark II or X-1) on the caseback. I voted for the "X-1 front, X-1 back", but I think "Edition Limitee front" looks better than either "X-1" or "Mark II". (I hate to suggest this, but it sounds like another poll: "Steinhardt + Mark II front, Mark II back", "Steinhart + X-1 front, X-1 back", "Steinhardt + Edition Limitee front, Mark II back" and "Steinhardt + Edition Limitee front, X-1 back")

:yeahthat
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:50 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:02 pm
Posts: 2200
Likes: 20 posts
Liked in: 13 posts
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Personally I like the Steinhart logo on the dial with Limited Edition beneath the day/date feature (as displayed in mock-up).

I'm also more than happy with the case back mock-up presented earlier i.e. LE, Mark 2 and LE number on the case.

Rationale - it is an LE so that should be evident on the dial. The watch is a Steinhart so also important to also include that and Mark II is something that is more likely to be personal to us IMO. If we were to have Steinhart, LE and Mark II on the dial, then I would be okay with that as well. Might make it a bit crowded though :D

Really good work with this everyone.

_________________
Happines is Good Health and a Bad Memory.
"Ingrid Bergman"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:28 pm 
Offline
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 am
Posts: 2667
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 61 posts
Location: Dhahran KSA
Good point D8, I can now see yoru point and voted accordingly. Thanks for making all the effort :mrgreen:

I went with the popular vote and submitted your pictures to Gunter.

_________________
Certified watch nut.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 am 
Offline
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 am
Posts: 50
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Location: Scotland
Really looking forward to seeing this in the flesh Altair... good job!

Hope Gunter considers with Steinhart & Edition Limitee on the dial too (even though it wasn't actually an option on this poll, after seeing D8's mock up, I think it really works)

Cheers!

Dave.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
 


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group