It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tryting to Decide!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:25 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

Liked in: 0 post
Hi All,
I am "thinking" about taking the huge plunge into the world of Breitling! I never really liked them until I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted a nice new watch. I went to a local jewelry store and tried on the Tag and Breitling and really liked both but am leaning towards the Breitling. I've been reading some of the posts here and I realized that I shouldn't just jump in without doing some research. I have been looking on Ebay - is that a safe place? How do I know if I am getting a real Breitling? I've seen some Breitlings on Ebay that have more diamonds around the bezel and on the face than the ones on the Breitling site. Does this mean they have been altered and therefore the warranty is voided by Breitling? Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated :roll:

Post subject: Re: Tryting to Decide!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:52 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
I recently purchased my first Breitling on Ebay as well. As anything on Ebay you need to buy the seller as much as the watch. Make sure there is at least the box, papers, manual, and even a COSC paper if you are lucky. Mine didn't come with one :evil:

If there are numerous close up pictures that means the seller usually has nothing to hide. If the pictures are grainy and far away I would be careful. Ask questions about the watch. When was it purchased? Are they the original owner? Has it ever been serviced? And anything else you may want to know or can think of. If the ad in there doesn't seem right and you think something is off, then it probably is. Do your research on the particular watch you are looking for as well. Is that model replicated alot? I looked for 6 weeks before I purchased mine. Be patient, a Breitling purchase especially a pre-owned one is not something you should rush into. You don't want to drop that kind of money on something you will not enjoy.

In regards to the diamond bezel I am not sure about women's watches but I know on Men's breitlings the diamond bezel has 2 rows of diamonds not just one. If it isn't an OEM bezel then it for sure will void warranty as it would have aftermarket parts on it. Someone else might be able to shed more light on this subject however?

this link shows an OEM diamond bezel. On the bottom left you need to select cases. It will show you a diamond bezel
http://www.breitling.com/en/models/aven ... o-measure/

Also a very good source on this forum is the replica ID forum. Any watch you find you can place pics on there and someone will be able to tell you if it is a replica or real.
There are alot of people on here that are very very good at seeing replicas versus the real thing. I am still learning on that end.

Hope this helps and is a good start for you.

Past:
Black Dial Super Avenger with Numerals
Countless "high priced" cheapos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:05 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 28 posts
txgirl wrote:
Hi All,
I am "thinking" about taking the huge plunge into the world of Breitling! I never really liked them until I decided a couple of weeks ago that I wanted a nice new watch. I went to a local jewelry store and tried on the Tag and Breitling and really liked both but am leaning towards the Breitling. I've been reading some of the posts here and I realized that I shouldn't just jump in without doing some research. I have been looking on Ebay - is that a safe place? How do I know if I am getting a real Breitling? I've seen some Breitlings on Ebay that have more diamonds around the bezel and on the face than the ones on the Breitling site. Does this mean they have been altered and therefore the warranty is voided by Breitling? Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated :roll:

All of these things are good questions.

Yes, EBay is a good place in the main, but it’s like a microcosm of the real world. All types of sellers are there, some good, some awful, some downright scary!

There is a section on this forum that sets out how to buy a Ling. Buy the Seller first. In other words, ask as many questions as you need to until you are satisfied the watch is for real. Make sure you buy a Breitling with all the paperwork, and that the seller can authenticate the watch as being real. Try to learn the watches origin, its provenance and history. Compare with other offers, especially if paperwork is not offered. Keep in mind that if an authentic Brietling box is offered, these can add quite a bit to the value of the watch, so compare watches (apples for apples) considering what is included. teh work you pout in is a reflection of the lower price you might get on a watch.

If all else fails, try one of the Authorised Dealers in your area. You may pay a little more, but sometimes you can do deals. I would mention your membership here and see if there is any offers for members on the table. You can but ask.

Post a pic here and ask the forum before you buy. They will tell you without hesitation if it’s real or not.

Good luck and I hope you buy a Breitling soon. They are beautiful time pieces.
world

"You have Control".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:34 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Assuming that you are in Texas I would contact one of the forum sponsor ADs to get some idea of 'real' prices, by all means go into a local AD first and try some on to narrow the search. Cotact member jnelson3097 for contact details of Govberg in PA or member FEAR for Provident in FL.

Ebay is the biggest market for used pieces but as others have said always check in the replica section first. Also check he Buy / Sell / Trade section of the forums, but don't expect to see as many ladies models available.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:04 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Pictures of a watch on eBay, means zip
I have turned in fake pictures, serial numbers of watches that are currently for sale in a AD shop, and eBay ignored it. Just be careful
Always ask when last service was done, many refuse to answer or don't know.
Is the watch stolen, and again the seller may not know.
Look into cost of servicing... That should be considered and check lost and stolen registry
It's scary when you consider it all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

I was surprised to see fakes were being produced so much still, but i guess with more ways to spot a fake listed, the producers will just adapt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:32 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 1 post
Call George at Govberg. I have bought few watches from him including a new transocaen 38MM for my wife. He's great to deal with and his prices are always really good.

txgirl wrote:
Hi All,

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:36 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 4 posts
It's awesome that you're considering getting a Breitling watch! It's always a good idea to do some research before making a big purchase like that. As for buying from eBay, it can be a bit risky because there's a chance of getting a counterfeit watch. To ensure you're getting a genuine Breitling, I recommend buying from authorized dealers or reputable sellers. They will provide you with the authenticity and warranty you need. It's also worth noting that if a Breitling watch has been altered with additional diamonds, it might affect the warranty. So be sure to check with Breitling directly for more information. Good luck with your watch hunt!