The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:09 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
So. Months before its official release in Canada ( USA too I think but not sure ) I found an SA2 from Italy. I really like the look of the new watch. Not much different from the SA1. Same diameter at 48mm but its a little thinner. I think only about 1mm to 1.5mm it's not noticeable.

When I unpacked it I was disappointed to see that there wasn't a Bakelite case. Only a cardboard box with the leather travel case inside. Not really made to last a generation. Cardboard? Really? Wtf! For this kinda cash I want something showy and most definitely shiny!

The new e-warranty card is neat. I'm curious as to why I only have a 2 yr international warranty. The movement is an in house b13. That should have a 5 yr. warranty no? Also wondering about the date change feature that all new in house Breitling movements have. I guess I don't have that? The owners manual gives the usual "no date change during these hours" warning. I'm perplexed. All signs point toward an out of house 7750 movement.

I really like the new dial colour. At first glance it looks tan or even a very light cocoa colour. But that's only in Some lighting conditions ie. in a display case at your AD. They call it Silver for a reason. With the watch on and in normal lighting conditions the colour seems to seamlessly melt from the crown to the face. Very cool. From what I can find there is only one dial option that has arabic numerals. This colour only offers markers. One thing that I haven't seen in older SA models is that the markers have a strip of luminova on every individual marker. Very bright. Impressive.

The new SS Pro 3 bracelet is very reminisce of the Pro 2. But for some reason ( and maybe it's because it's new ) it feels more comfortable. If your Pro 2 fit you perfectly. Then you will find that this one will fit just slightly too large or too small. But the difference is minimal. If it wasn't for me mentioning it you may not even notice it. It seems silly to write it but I think it's true.

The crown and pushers are pretty much the same. Nothing new to note. One thing I did notice different from my old SA though - the crown feels more beefy while winding and screwing it in. Feels stronger and more like -IMHO- like it should.

Less the Shoddy box situation I'm quite please. Obviously I'm not a professional writer but I want to throw in my two cents and put the first SA2 review up. Haven't seen one elsewhere.

Any questions/ comments/ ideas/ issues with my review are welcome!

dieseldennis.

Last edited by dieseldennis on Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:12 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
As far as I know, my AD in the US has Super Avenger IIs in stock

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:21 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

jnelson3097 wrote:
As far as I know, my AD in the US has Super Avenger IIs in stock

You're prolly correct. I know they aren't available in Canada yet though.

My AD nearly pooped when he saw the e warranty ( Thats how far we in the great white north are behind ). He didn't want to give it back. Funny. The manager knew it was coming but never seen one in person.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:38 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
Its not an in house movement either so only a two year warranty.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:05 pm 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

natesen wrote:

Yeah I'm guessing you're right. With the evidence. But why call it a b13? I was under the assumption all b movements were in house. Hmmm. Kinda sucks. A 5 year warranty is always nice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:14 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
A few points....

It's not months before the Canadian release, as I said a couple of days ago they should be in most ADs by mid September (and I believe that some are already available). All Breitling calibres begin with B and the B13 based on the Valjoux / ETA 7750 has been used for over 20 years, it doesn't have instant date change and you need to observe the 'danger zone' when using the quick set date.

Cardboard box has been used for quite some time now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 5 posts
Thanks for the pictures of the SA in the wild. I like the single baton markers with lum on them. Does the lum last any longer ? I assume it is the same lum on the SA I and lasts for about 30-45 minutes depending on a full charge. Now I want one or the Chronomat GMT. I will am leaning towards the GMT however. The inhouse movement is a giant plus, plus I already have 2 SA's. Wear it in good health.

:lingsrock:

Past:
Black Dial Super Avenger with Numerals
Countless "high priced" cheapos

Last edited by superavenger13 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:53 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
dieseldennis wrote:
natesen wrote:

Yeah I'm guessing you're right. With the evidence. But why call it a b13? I was under the assumption all b movements were in house. Hmmm. Kinda sucks. A 5 year warranty is always nice.

B for Breitling so that's why all it's movements names has the "B" in front. Next time if you are unsure, you can always check the serial on the caseback of the watch to determine if the movement is in-house. Those with serials starting with "A" or "B" followed by numbers are the modified movements while the in-house ones has "AB" on the front of the serial followed by the numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:57 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
A few points....

It's not months before the Canadian release, as I said a couple of days ago they should be in most ADs by mid September (and I believe that some are already available). All Breitling calibres begin with B and the B13 based on the Valjoux / ETA 7750 has been used for over 20 years, it doesn't have instant date change and you need to observe the 'danger zone' when using the quick set date.

Which Canadian AD has them? My AD would like to know so he can set the appraisal amount. He called around and nobody could give him an MSRP.

Mid September seems a little soon considering a lot of dealers still don't have the e-warranty equipment/training yet. Still though. It's possible. All I can say is what my AD says. I know them.

Cardboard box still sucks. Even if they've been using it for quite a while. Shame on them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:59 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

dieseldennis wrote:
Roffensian wrote:
A few points....

Which Canadian AD has them? My AD would like to know so he can set the appraisal amount. He called around and nobody could give him an MSRP.

Mid September seems a little soon considering a lot of dealers still don't have the e-warranty equipment/training yet. Still though. It's possible. All I can say is what my AD says. I know them.

Cardboard box still sucks. Even if they've been using it for quite a while. Shame on them.

I spoke to someone at Grigoros after your first post and they said that they had seen some come through Hayden Street already (without the e-warranty).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Chronomat01LE wrote:
Next time if you are unsure, you can always check the serial on the caseback of the watch to determine if the movement is in-house. Those with serials starting with "A" or "B" followed by numbers are the modified movements while the in-house ones has "AB" on the front of the serial followed by the numbers.

Not really.

It's model number, not serial number, and while in house model numbers do start AB, there are many more variations on non in house model numbers - http://www.breitlingsource.com/articles_refnos.shtml

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 78 posts
Roffensian wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:
Next time if you are unsure, you can always check the serial on the caseback of the watch to determine if the movement is in-house. Those with serials starting with "A" or "B" followed by numbers are the modified movements while the in-house ones has "AB" on the front of the serial followed by the numbers.

Not really.

It's model number, not serial number, and while in house model numbers do start AB, there are many more variations on non in house model numbers - http://www.breitlingsource.com/articles_refnos.shtml

Yap sorry I meant model number. And yes while there are many more variations on non in house model numbers, I suppose based on OP that he just needs to differentiate between the in-house and non in-house pieces. So the best way is to see whether it's "AB" or something else on the front of the model numbers to differentiate.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:45 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Roffensian wrote:
Chronomat01LE wrote:

Not really.

Thanks for that link. Fascinating. Good read.

Post subject: Remarks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:48 am 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 14 posts
All longer warranty times are of PR value only. Most new movements need this to make customers sure against buying a Monday morning watch. Remember the El Primero having a 5-year warranty for some time.
I think the B01 is a good and trustable movement. But I'm sure IF this movement may come with a 5-year warranty, the 7750 could deserve that as well. Generally you won't have trouble with a 7750 up to 5 years. So it is PR only - I do not have any problem with that.
Regarding the Super Avenger (and the Avenger) I only miss and need the weekday feature of the 13 (as the CSO II. does not have it any more...).
The new SA hour markers with the lume line are nice - makes me remember the (day-date) Chrono SuperOcean I. again.
Enjoy!
Robert

For sale: Sinn 356 II, Porsche Design Titan Chrono Valjoux
Wanted: Breitling Blackbird 13353 on bracelet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:47 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 7 posts
Loved reading that, Love the SA, definently the most worn watch I have, prefer the ProII bracelet though!

Super Avenger(White)

Moved on:
Montbrillant Legende(Silver)
Panerai 312

SOHC 125th Ann. LE(Silver)
Navitimer World(Pearl)
Panerai 441