The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:32 pm 
All Roads lead to Breitling

Liked in: 33 posts
My impressions of the 2011 Navi 01 after 9 weeks. OK, first things first – I love it.

Case/Size – at 43mms this new Navi has what the prior Navi was missing for me – a bit more wrist presence. Yet it is not too big or by any means gaudy. Let’s face it, the Navi dial is by function and design busy and a little more size to the case gives the dial a tad more clarity. In all respects Breitling retained the design of the case and lugs. “If it’s not broken don’t fix it” is a maxim Breitling mostly seems to have forgotten, but not on this model.

Dial – The batons versus arabics choice has been retained. Either way, you can’t go wrong. I was always more drawn to the arabics on the Navis, though usually like batons on other models. The applied metal numerals are a big step up in detail and finish and are my favorite feature of the dial.

The gold applied wings logo seems to be a divisive point for many. I like it as it gives the dial some variety and is more visually pleasing to me. Besides, it retains the essence of the gold painted wings logo of the earlier Navi. For me, it is an upgrade.

The red chrono seconds hand was a great addition to this dial. I like that Breitling left the rest of the dial and hands the same as the old Navi. Thank goodness they fought the trend to apply gratuitous after thoughts such as painted sub dial hands. It would have ruined this classic.

Another point of disagreement seems to be the black date window. I enjoy the subtlety of it, especially with the required placement at 4:30.

Bracelet – Here Breitling upgraded somewhat. The clasp is a bit more beefy and the extension adjustment is on the inside of the clasp – no holes. While the design aids sturdiness, it is less functional because a quick micro-adjustment can’t be made on the fly. I’ve taken to keeping the pin end of a Bergeon 6767F in my wallet for making an adjustment if it becomes necessary. The fork end is too large.

Breitling has changed the bracelet dimensions from 22/20 to 22/18. I was a little leery until it was on the wrist - very comfortable and aesthetically appealing and a definite upgrade in my book.

Movement – I have become a fan of the B01. The timing is quite good and the chrono functions perfectly, including no stutter or jump by the chrono seconds hand when activated. In my experience, this is pretty rare. Reset is firm and dead on.

If I have my hands behind my head while reclining, I can hear the watch ticking. Not something I was used to at first, but I’ve grown to like it.

Comfort – I’m going to make a statement here which you Rolex owners will find hard to believe – overall the 2011 Navi 01 is as comfortable as the Sub C and GMT Master II C! I could never quite acclimate to the two older Navis I had. So why is this one so comfortable? Perhaps by pure serendipity the geometry of the larger case fits better with the link size on my wrist. For sure the 18mm clasp size has a lot to do with it.

Price – OK, this is the BIG down side. After the June price increase in the US the retail on bracelet jumped north of the magical $9K mark! But when I bought it, the price was comparable to the Rolex Sub C. With the bigger Breilting discount it cost me$1,000+ less than the Rolex.
Is the watch worth the price? Personally, I don’t believe any watch priced in the thousands of dollars is “worth” the cost in a vacuum. So let me ask a different question – do I have any regrets or second thoughts about purchasing this watch? Absolutely none! In that sense, the new Navi 01 supports the price.

What the manufacture of this watch proves to me is Breitling is still capable of doing what Breitling does best. And that fact causes the bulk of the new offerings to trouble me even more. I highly recommend this watch –a true fine timepiece with an in-house movement from a company who has proved time and again they can make extraordinary watches, yet seems to have lost its way of late. Here’s hoping Breitling will rediscover the path.

Some pictures as best my ability and equipment allow -

205jsy likes this post.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:42 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
Thanks for the review and photos. I like the gold applied wings, arabics, and the black date wheel. I think they are all a step up from the LE version.

You're right about the clasp. It's not as convenient making adjustments but i think it looks great and is worth the sacrifice. I hate the ways the micro adjustment holes look. Does this clasp have the quick adjustment link like the bentley bracelets do?

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:46 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 56 posts
Awesome work, Sharkman. I enjoy reading about the newer versions along with your historical perspective added in

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:00 pm 

RXPete wrote:
Thanks for the review and photos. I like the gold applied wings, arabics, and the black date wheel. I think they are all a step up from the LE version.

You're right about the clasp. It's not as convenient making adjustments but i think it looks great and is worth the sacrifice. I hate the ways the micro adjustment holes look. Does this clasp have the quick adjustment link like the bentley bracelets do?

No it doesn't have the quick adjust some of the Speed bracelets do.

Also, with the difference in the date wheel and wings logo I assume Breitling was giving a nod to the LE buyers so that the LE will always be distinguishable from the new standard Navi while on the wrist. I know I would be a bit p.o.ed if the only difference between the LE and the new Navi was a display back. That said, continuing the display back would have been a nice touch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:41 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 62 posts
Spot on about the 43mm diameter. It's why I waited so long to find the right Heritage, which is also 43mm. The look, the slide rule, make this Breitling's own, and seemingly the only one which Breitling has decided to evolve rather than dramatically change. It's right now the only Breitling I own, and to me THE one to own if you only have one.

AP Royal Oak 15400, silver
Zenith Chronomaster El Primero Classic Cars
Vintage gold Corum
Rolex DJ 36 TT, oyster dial, oyster/smooth
Baume & Mercier Riviera 200m, silver dial/aquamarine bezel
Breitling Superocean 57, rose/stainless

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:22 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 18 posts
sharkman wrote:
RXPete wrote:

No it doesn't have the quick adjust some of the Speed bracelets do.

Also, with the difference in the date wheel and wings logo I assume Breitling was giving a nod to the LE buyers so that the LE will always be distinguishable from the new standard Navi while on the wrist. I know I would be a bit p.o.ed if the only difference between the LE and the new Navi was a display back. That said, continuing the display back would have been a nice touch.

Whatever the reason, I think the gold logo and black date are nicer. The color of the date font was one of the reasons I sold my LE. It wasn't red like in the release photos nor was it black. It looked like a faded black or like a dark maroon. It just didn't work for me.

I agree that the display back would be great on this watch.

Peter

BREITLING for Bentley Motors T & Mark VI, Aerospace
ROLEX Submariner Ceramic116610LN
OMEGA Plantet Ocean 8500 42mm Orange arabics
OCEAN7 LM-3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:40 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
Thanks for the pics and the review Tom, that Navi is awesome.

I do think that gold on black looks superb, especially those wings.

Do you think that it would be more confy on a croco strap?

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:01 am 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 0 post
Great write up Shark!!!

I for one prefer bothe the gold applied wings and black date wheel. The white background date has always been a bit of a pet peeve of mine, and I absolutely love the new date font.

I have been toying with the idea of swapping my Navi and CM24 for a Navi 01 on croc, so it was nice to get a owners dirt hand experience.

My question to you is this...is the build quality, larger size, and minor changes worth a 2 for 1. Considering both my Lings will need service next year ($1000) and I have always wanted to add a black croc to the Navi ($900 ish) I am looking at $2k in outlays. Maybe just upgrading to the current in house model on croc makes sense.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:52 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 13 posts
Thanks for the review Tom. It is indeed a beautiful watch, a true credit to the brand. In short I like it a lot. I'm also glad you still want to keep it after 9 weeks :lol: Great photos also.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:41 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 0 post
if you love it .. why are you selling?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:11 am 

k woosta wrote:

:uplaugh: You haven't been a member here long enough. I do love it, but time to go. It's my M.O.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
sharkman wrote:
k woosta wrote:

:uplaugh: You haven't been a member here long enough. I do love it, but time to go. It's my M.O.

quite severe WADHD !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 am 
Cult of Breitling Leader
Cult of Breitling Leader

Liked in: 4 posts
sharkman wrote:
k woosta wrote:

:uplaugh: Indeed.

That was the best quote of the day. :uplaugh:

- This is Ghost Rider requesting a fly-by. - Negative Ghost Rider. The pattern is full.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:49 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
I can't believe I missed this review! And now I have seen it, and the Navi is in the departure lounge. Nice review Sharky, although I wonder if you'll regret selling it............. I honestly thought that this is the one Breitling you'd keep. I guess not! :lol:

Site Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 pm 

Driver8 wrote:
I can't believe I missed this review! And now I have seen it, and the Navi is in the departure lounge. Nice review Sharky, although I wonder if you'll regret selling it............. I honestly thought that this is the one Breitling you'd keep. I guess not! :lol:

Welp, I'll tell you what - I am officially on the fence today. Withdraw it. Or withdraw it and sell the GMT Master IIc :wowzers . Or withdraw it, keep the GMT Master IIc, and sell the Cockpit :idea: . Or just sell it :?: !

Clearly, I am the "Zen Master of Clarity" today. :huh