Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Duality of Man
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:36 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 56 posts
ahhh - the duality of man - can we serve two masters. well in terms of watches it would appear so. I took delivery of my "new" SO II this weekend and while my initial thoughts of very positive ( a mini review will be coming later) I can't help to think how different this new fav is to my other longer term fav, that being the 3570 speedmaster.

The first thing that you notice is how much polish is on this - hell even the damn inner fold of the clasp is high polish enough to blind you. the 3570, while does have some polish, is mostly brushed and the polish is a mere highlight, subtle touch.

While the speedmaster dial does have some elevation changes due to the subdials the markers are painted whereas the SO II markers are raised, as well as the Breitling symbol. I really like the raised markers on the SO II to provide its 3D effect.

Crystals are worlds apart, too but both are great in their own way. The SO II with dual AR makes it appear there is no crystal, pretty cool effect. The Hesalite on the 3570 of course has it's own "warm" look and shape that are just so cool. Again, these features are on opposite ends yet both resonate with me in very positive ways.

Wrist: speedmaster has a "put me to work" visual and I know the SO II has superior depth rating and is a dressy tool, the SO II has a country club visual. Granted, I've had the SO II for a day and half so that opinion may change. Different in appearance but both very satisfying on the wrist

Random thoughts:
* Will definitely try different straps/rubber to "tone it down" a bit.
* Keep the bracelet for potential resale value or put it on the market and use the cash for Vegas?
* Yes, the speedmaster can be dressed up, but still reminds me of Col Jessup: "you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall"
* Didn't really show in these pictures but really like the colored tip of the second hand on the SOII.
* Already looking at Navi's

Post subject: The Duality of Man
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:20 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 0 post
Great comparison. I, too, have both an omega and breitling, so I understand the duality struggle.

What's your impression like 9 days later?

Post subject: Re: The Duality of Man
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:53 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 56 posts
czar wrote:
Great comparison. I, too, have both an omega and breitling, so I understand the duality struggle.

What's your impression like 9 days later?

Thanks, czar - the good news I really like it, the "bad" news is I like it so much I must have another Breitling and the boss has a one in, one out policy :argue: