Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:15 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 0 post
myown4nw wrote:
If you had to choose one watch, which one would you get and why?

Breitling Super Ocean

or

Breitling Colt GMT

Give me Feedback and Reviews !!

http://watchluxus.com/ajax/thumb.php?id ... width=true

http://watchluxus.com/ajax/thumb.php?id ... width=true

I would get the previous SO (pre-2008-version) in orange (with the black ocean racer strap).
Between the present SO and the GMT I would still go for the SO, but not the orange, but the blue one (with blue ocean racer strap).

Reasons: I prefer the 2824 to the 2892-based caliber. And I prefer the case shape of the SO to the GMT one.

V.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:21 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

IT IS THE ENTRY LEVEL that you cannot say is untrue because its a fact the colt is the least expensive in the range its not my opinion its fact. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:34 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

sonyman wrote:
I also think the fact of the colt being the entry level puts me off as well sort of a poor mans Breitling if you like if there is such a thing

So, because it's the least expensive, it's considered "entry level", so you consider it a "poor man's Breitling", so that would be another reason to get the SO over the Colt.

I can't begin to imagine the replies that post would get if archie had written it. :roll:

Breitling Transocean Chronograph LE

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:46 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

kstone wrote:
sonyman wrote:
I also think the fact of the colt being the entry level puts me off as well sort of a poor mans Breitling if you like if there is such a thing

So, because it's the least expensive, it's considered "entry level", so you consider it a "poor man's Breitling", so that would be another reason to get the SO over the Colt.

I can't begin to imagine the replies that post would get if archie had written it. :roll:

So if the least expensive Breitling in the range isn’t the entry level what is it, Call me stupid but I am not insulting the colt I am not insulting Breitling the colt is looked down on by a lot of Ling owners as in the base model of any car that’s the entry level and the cheapest in the range, I am not insulting the watch or the brand I love lings and have just negotiated a deal to get a Colt Auto so it’s not like I don’t like them I just prefer the Superocean to the Colt (even though the SO is part of the same range) but each model has its own merits and fans and I don’t see why everyone is trying to imply that I am in some way insulting the watch by saying what I have.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:23 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
If you're going to base it on price, I thought the Superocean and the Colt GMT have the same retail price, so if you still think the Colt is entry level, that puts the superocean on the same level. If you're going to buy the colt quartz, then it would be the entry level but who really cares.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:11 pm 
King of Ling
King of Ling

jnelson3097 wrote:
If you're going to base it on price, I thought the Superocean and the Colt GMT have the same retail price, so if you still think the Colt is entry level, that puts the superocean on the same level. If you're going to buy the colt quartz, then it would be the entry level but who really cares.

I agree it’s starting to get a bit tedious now but a few years ago when it was just the Colt Quartz, Colt Auto and Superocean I think the Colt Quartz was around £650 the Colt Auto was £900 and the Superocean £1100 but it was a few years ago and I don’t have the price list maybe someone could confirm this.

Anyway this subject is getting past its sell by date and at the end of the day they are all lings and someone who started out with a Colt Quartz usually ended up with 2 or 4 lings anyway so it’s all irrelevant really. :lingsrock:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:48 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

sonyman wrote:
jnelson3097 wrote:

I agree it’s starting to get a bit tedious now but a few years ago when it was just the Colt Quartz, Colt Auto and Superocean I think the Colt Quartz was around £650 the Colt Auto was £900 and the Superocean £1100 but it was a few years ago and I don’t have the price list maybe someone could confirm this.

Anyway this subject is getting past its sell by date and at the end of the day they are all lings and someone who started out with a Colt Quartz usually ended up with 2 or 4 lings anyway so it’s all irrelevant really. :lingsrock:

In terms of pricing, YES, the Colt range is the least expensive range (on average), therefore entry level. However, in terms of objective quality (relating to measurable features and functions), the Colts are on par with all the other models in the Aeromarine range (movement, case finish, dials, lume etc). You could argue, that the Superocean range features a bit a higher water resistance, therefore the cases are thicker and larger. But in my case I love the comparatively thin (12.5 mm) and small (41 mm) watch case of my Colt, so slimmer case dimensions and looks are more important to me - therefore the Colt Auto II - for me - offers more than all other models in the Aeromarine line. So, for me, it's just not entry level, it's high-end level (subjectively of course).

The Windrider range has a little bit shinier and more detailed finishes of the case - but quality-wise (left aside the optical features), it's on par with the Aeromarine range. The Navitimer and Professional lines are a different story, they use a different case/dial (Navitimer) and movement (Professional) technology, so there it's more difficult to compare pricing.

Back to pricing: Pricing is a marketing steering tool, like other factors. So, a company choose their pricing, which in most cases, doesn't have anything to do with objectively measurable quality - the whole luxury watch market works like this. I would even have purchased the Colt II if it were more expensive than the Superocean or the Cockpit! So, if you fall in love with a so-called "entry level product" (but pricing isn't the main purchase criterion), you're a lucky guy, because - in the case of Breitling - you make a great bargain!

Just my view of things.

V.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 72 posts
kstone wrote:
Also, if I recall correctly, at the time the numbers on the SO bezel were black, which I didn't like at all (am I remembering that correctly?)

They changed that on the latter bezels of 17360.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:10 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

When I was at the ADs yesterday I looked at the price of the SO and the Colt they were about $30 diffrence I think.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:26 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Sonyman I think you have a very valid point. I agree with both opinnions about the Colt beeing entry level and not. Some people will always feel that the less expensive (It´s still alot of dead presidents in a row) model is entry level with lower standars. Many times that´s right(e.g. a Pioneer cheap amps are crap, but the expensive stuff are some of the best in the business), only here that´s wrong. It´s mostly caused by peoples ignorance towards the product. With the Colts very high built quality and rugedness it offers unbelievable value for money. I would love to get one, but for my taste their too small. :( Most people, if their not watch enthusiasts, wouldn´t realize the difference to a Super Ocean or even Chronomat. All the same styling cues and standards are there.

I actually think it presents a problem for Breitling. Most of the line up offers more of the same. Too many models have too few differences. Some of the price differences are hard to account for. Unfortunally that´s going to change as Breitling has introduced a new Colt that´s very different in style. It will in the future look much more basic, like an entry level model. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 pm 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

JaVa wrote:
Unfortunally that´s going to change as Breitling has introduced a new Colt that´s very different in style. It will in the future look much more basic, like an entry level model. :evil:

Doesn't the new Colt Auto GMT (which you mean) look more like the new B01?
Breitling move away from the full-text / high-detail bezels anyway.

V.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:24 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Quote:

Yep, the word is that B is stepping back a little on some future models with the current rider tab and bezel design. I´ve seen the new Colt only in pictures so I should reserve judgement. But IMO that bezel is very Tag and over all presence is very (too) generic. I´ve seen the CB01 in the metal and it is beautiful. (that bastard is already hunting me! :lol: ) Some has compared it to Tags and it´s so far from the truth. (That´s actually the biggest complement to Tags, ever! :lol: ) The only thing the new Colt and Chronomat B01 have in common in my eyes is the more streamlined shape.

The B rep (from Scandinavian office) told that they´ve got too many complaints of buyers turning away because of the sweaters great nemesis the rider tabs and they needed to adress the issue. The CB01 rider tabs (he still called them that) have also been shaved towards their corners for a much nicer and softer feel. (I´ve tried it and it´s true.) The Colt loses the riders however.

Personally I feel all this is very good and gives the line up more versatility and purposeful take. I didn´t like the new Colts look at all and haven´t warmed to it either. (but it´s not designed to atract me) Now it does look entry level, but still I might change my mind after seeing it. (I did with the CB01.) The thing is, It should look entry level shouldn´t it. Some people are considering to buy even between a Colt and a Chronomat. So the Colt is way too good for the price and it is. B looses money when their own less expensive model competes with a much more expensive one. The Colt is supposed to be the stepping stone to the world of B.ling, but it´s design isn´t bringing as much new blood as it should. Enter the new Colt with a much easier to take in styling to atract young buyers. ( ...and yes probably from the likes of Tag)

With each model having a more distinct style, it enrichens the whole line up, gives us more choises to choose from and will bring new friends to the brand. All good in my book!

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:23 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

JaVa wrote:
Quote:

Yep, the word is that B is stepping back a little on some future models with the current rider tab and bezel design. I´ve seen the new Colt only in pictures so I should reserve judgement. But IMO that bezel is very Tag and over all presence is very (too) generic. I´ve seen the CB01 in the metal and it is beautiful. (that bastard is already hunting me! :lol: ) Some has compared it to Tags and it´s so far from the truth. (That´s actually the biggest complement to Tags, ever! :lol: ) The only thing the new Colt and Chronomat B01 have in common in my eyes is the more streamlined shape.

The B rep (from Scandinavian office) told that they´ve got too many complaints of buyers turning away because of the sweaters great nemesis the rider tabs and they needed to adress the issue. The CB01 rider tabs (he still called them that) have also been shaved towards their corners for a much nicer and softer feel. (I´ve tried it and it´s true.) The Colt loses the riders however.

Personally I feel all this is very good and gives the line up more versatility and purposeful take. I didn´t like the new Colts look at all and haven´t warmed to it either. (but it´s not designed to atract me) Now it does look entry level, but still I might change my mind after seeing it. (I did with the CB01.) The thing is, It should look entry level shouldn´t it. Some people are considering to buy even between a Colt and a Chronomat. So the Colt is way too good for the price and it is. B looses money when their own less expensive model competes with a much more expensive one. The Colt is supposed to be the stepping stone to the world of B.ling, but it´s design isn´t bringing as much new blood as it should. Enter the new Colt with a much easier to take in styling to atract young buyers. ( ...and yes probably from the likes of Tag)

With each model having a more distinct style, it enrichens the whole line up, gives us more choises to choose from and will bring new friends to the brand. All good in my book!

OK, but will the Colt Auto II also be updated/refreshed? When? So far I only have heard about the GMT changes (probably this summer).

V.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:07 pm 
Breitling Newbie
Breitling Newbie

My Opinion:

Based on the shocking reliability of my SuperOcean, would never buy another.

3 Times back to Breitling/Switzerland in 11 years.

Rob

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:25 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
Rob wrote:
My Opinion:

Based on the shocking reliability of my SuperOcean, would never buy another.

3 Times back to Breitling/Switzerland in 11 years.

Rob

To be honest, considering that Breilting recommend a service every 3 years or so, that's not too bad. Granted most will not usually need servicing more than once every 5 years, but if you think of it like a car (and there are similarities), 3 services in 11 years isn't so bad.

Site Moderator