Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 9 posts
https://usa.watchpro.com/breitling-turn ... nd-papers/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:40 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 370 posts
Really Georges? I am all for recycling and doing everything possible to protect the environment, but to eliminate boxes and papers? If you are so dedicated to preserving our natural resources why not develop a box made from recycles materials like the nato straps that are available. As a collector I happen to like "boxes and papers" when looking at pre-owned pieces. Not only do boxes and papers make for a complete set, but can assist in establishing legitimacy of a pre-owned watch. I for one question the motive behind this move!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:25 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 1727 posts
wait to see what will be presented?
and the legitimacy will be much easier to track & prove.
boxes will remain available on request.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Well Fred, I guess I am a little old fashioned, not totally thrilled with the digital age. As per the article, "We are currently reviewing the concept but will move towards selling watches in pouches that are made from recycled materials and can be recycled again. There will be fewer papers with the watch because all of the information will be provided digitally". To me, a plastic pouch, that is expected to be recycled again, does not cut it. When I spend a significant amount of money on a watch I happen to consider the box and the way it is presented as part of the overall product. I admit that I am not the customer that Georges is reaching out to, in my opinion he is looking for the younger crowd that carries around a plastic card to make all of his purchases with, I happen to like carrying cash!

As far as waiting to see what is presented one can only go with what information is made available. Georges think that "the launch of Breitling’s new concept for packaging later this year as one of the biggest events in his calendar." Why not release the whole concept rather then presenting it in dribs and drabs! Personally, I see it as another way to cut costs and improve the overall bottom line!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:01 am 
King of Ling
King of Ling

Liked in: 408 posts
I hate boxes and papers. I see them 2x max when I own a watch. First time is when I first get the watch and the only reason I look at it is because I have to in order to get the watch out. The box then goes into the closet. 2nd time is if I ever sell the watch and I see it when I package it up.

Besides that they just waste space in my closet. I only keep them because other people care about them in the used market.

I am fine eliminating them. Just a simple travel case or pouch would be perfect for me.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:15 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

well, the Covid crisis has made the announcement scheduling quite erratic this year, there will be a major webcast event on April 16, replacing the World Summit, originally planned to take place in Shanghai, then Singapore, then London, then Zurich .... then cancelled of course.

No, it isn’t about cutting costs. Georges has already mentioned that in another interview, so I can safely tell that; whoever still wants the original boxes can order them. They‘ll be free of charge, you‘ll be asked (not forced!) to donate $20 to a forest preservation NGO - doesn’t really sound like a concept to save money and rip you off, does it? Just enough to make you step back and think it over.

I personally like the new packing concept a lot - space saving, highly secure ownership & service tracking. Good ideas, new thinking - would hope it will be well received in general.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:32 am 
Breitling Enthusiast
Breitling Enthusiast

Liked in: 18 posts
I love the idea! It will be blockchain based and that way much safer than paper. Papers can be fraudulent and quite easy to copy. This way you never know with a rare used watch if its all really legitimate. With blockchain thats all gone and it’s the safest way of tracking the history of the watch. The new packaging, however it will look like, is also fine with me. New and fresh ideas are great for the watch industry or whatever is left of it after the coronacrisis. Sad times for everyone atm and Breitling, with it’s digital announcements etc., is giving us something else to read about and get excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:04 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
If the article wasn't dated the 2nd of April, I'd have been shouting "April Fool" at this one.

Obviously I'm prepared to see what the new packaging looks like before making a final judgement, but personally I'm of the opinion that purchasing a completely luxury item is about more than just the product itself. Of course the watch itself represents the vast majority of it, but for me there is absolutely an element that is related to the overall experience of the purchase as well. For me, it's the experience of going to an AD's store, having a nice coffee and a chat with the AD, taking a bit of time over it...., and yes the packaging and presentation of the watch itself.

As I say above, luxury watches are exactly that - a luxury - i.e. totally frivolous in today's world, so for me purchasing one is at least partly about the enjoyment of a little bit of "excess". Buying a prestige watch should feel different to buying a Swatch or a Citizen. Getting a watch in a pouch just strikes me as rather anticlimactic and somewhat at odds with what I expect from a luxury item. It's good that the option of a box is still there, but I wonder for how long.....

At the moment, I'm not convinced.

(Perhaps when Patek starts posting their watches out to buyers wrapped up in a old sock, then maybe I'll be convinced! :wink: )

Site Moderator

3 people like this post.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:59 pm 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 71 posts
Driver8 wrote:
(Perhaps when Patek starts posting their watches out to buyers wrapped up in a old sock, then maybe I'll be convinced! :wink: )

I was about to say that I could probably just about afford a Patek sock - but then I thought, 'You never actually own a Patek Philippe sock ...'

2 people like this post.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:38 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Quote:
No, it isn’t about cutting costs. Georges has already mentioned that in another interview, so I can safely tell that; whoever still wants the original boxes can order them. They‘ll be free of charge, you‘ll be asked (not forced!) to donate $20 to a forest preservation NGO - doesn’t really sound like a concept to save money and rip you off, does it? Just enough to make you step back and think it over.

It is unfortunate that we all do not have access to the various interviews that Georges does. I am sure that they are out there if I looked hard enough, but most of my time is spent dealing with the current Coronavirus here in the Big Apple. I still find it hard to believe that this new policy is not meant as a cost cutting option. I never mentioned that there were any attempts to rip anyone off, I just do not agree with this new policy.

I find it interesting that one of the first things that Georges did when he took over Breitling was to discontinue the Colt Skyracer because it was not a good representation of the Breitling brand, i.e., it was too cheap. If you want to be thought of a luxury brand than in my opinion you have to present yourself as a luxury brand. I feel that right now too many decisions are based on the overall effect that they will have the bottom line, so that when it comes time to sell Breitling, the bottom line looks nice!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:18 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Liked in: 343 posts
I don’t completely understand why they wouldn’t just include the boxes in the sales. As long as they’re available anyway, I’m fine with it whatever they want to do.

Fred - is the summit on April 16th open to anyone or only ADs? I’ll probably just wait for a summary from one of the watch websites anyway.

Visit them on the web at http://www.govbergwatches.com or call 800-528-8463

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
I came across this post again and I thought about it again…I like boxes and papers much like I own real hard covered books…You know for the classics etc. not electronic Kindle or iPad versions. I like something you can feel something tangible plus when I give them to my son I’d much rather give him full box and papers down to the little hangtag and not give it to him in a plastic bag.

It’s all the aesthetics of it…Either you want or appreciate or you don’t. Neither Wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

may I suggest to wait for April 16th to see the new packaging & owner‘s blockchain wallet and then form an opinion?
anyone who wants the „classic“ box can have it mailed to him, free of charge.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 am 
Breitling Fanatic
Breitling Fanatic

Liked in: 117 posts
WatchFred wrote:
may I suggest to wait for April 16th to see the new packaging & owner‘s blockchain wallet and then form an opinion?
anyone who wants the „classic“ box can have it mailed to him, free of charge.
Good point!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:05 pm 
Breitling Maniac
Breitling Maniac

Liked in: 1719 posts
Breitling's boxes have always been a bit minimalist to begin with, so losing the box really doesn't bother me. That being said, for me, the best part of Breitling's packaging has always been the leather travel cases, which are very nice -- I use them all the time. So long as these don't go away, I'll be a happy guy.