The Breitling Watch Source Forums

Breitling Watch Information Forums, Navitimer, Chronomat
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:48 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Just stumbled over the newly announced Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel Code Yellow on the Breitling Website. Will surely turn up by e-mail newsletter soon.
http://www.breitling.com/de/news/index.php?idContent=65241

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:05 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 489 posts
Not particularly new - review from an owner over a year ago here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:16 am 
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Liked in: 51 posts
Thanks for pointing out. I wasn't aware of it. Personally I like the new version better (because of the large arabic numbers).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:52 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

I just got the news release so I guess that they realy are issuing another Avenger Seawolf Blacksteel Code Yellow LE. If we thought that the Blacksteel was getting silly before then things are really getting odd now - two different LEs of the same sub-model - bizarre.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:13 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
:sigh:

Breitling makes Blacksteel versions of watches with perhaps the two finest bracelets made...the Pro 2 and the Pilot...yet they never release them with either. While I am not a fan of how the blacksteel looks, even if I was I would not buy one without a matching Pro 2 or Pilot bracelet. Half my reason for getting a Chronomat was because of the Pilot bracelet...I tried on damned near every high end bracelet and nothing was as nice.

Please give us something else...LiquidMetal, 6AL4V ti, 904L, CF nanos, a bakerlight box...something

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:21 pm 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

nickzac wrote:

Breitling makes Blacksteel versions of watches with perhaps the two finest bracelets made...the Pro 2 and the Pilot...yet they never release them with either. While I am not a fan of how the blacksteel looks, even if I was I would not buy one without a matching Pro 2 or Pilot bracelet. Half my reason for getting a Chronomat was because of the Pilot bracelet...I tried on damned near every high end bracelet and nothing was as nice.

Please give us something else...LiquidMetal, 6AL4V ti, 904L, CF nanos, a bakerlight box...something

DLC rubs DLC so the bracelet links would wear one another, hence no bracelet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 pm 
Breitling Connoisseur
Breitling Connoisseur

Liked in: 1 post
Roffensian wrote:
nickzac wrote:

DLC rubs DLC so the bracelet links would wear one another, hence no bracelet.

There are DLC coatings that can easily withstand that type of friction but having heard your account as well as others in terms of the 'Blacksteels' longevity and tendency to erode on edges, Breitling isn't using it. Citizen makes a variety of DLC coated watches (part of the Duratect) with bracelets and they are plenty tough, as does Rolex, Seiko, JLC, and others. So it isn't an impossibility by any means.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:20 am 
Contributing Moderator
Contributing Moderator

Liked in: 519 posts
There's a company out there called Blackout Concept who do a black coating on which they give a lifetime guarantee against scratches. They say it's twice as tough as DLC, and given the cost of their Rolex editions, I'm inclined to believe them. So there are (apparently) much tougher surface coatings than those used by Breitling.

And fully back on topic - this "new" BS SW is another peculiar choice for Breitling. Two BS LEs of the same model separated by a few months.... :huh

Site Moderator